Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not entirely sure if what I'm going to post is related to the topic.

My friend got rejected from LSE Economics, and when he wrote an e-mail asking the admissions tutor, they replied that it was because he failed to meet the criteria of 7 or more A*s at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xavisxavis)
    Not entirely sure if what I'm going to post is related to the topic.

My friend got rejected from LSE Economics, and when he wrote an e-mail asking the admissions tutor, they replied that it was because he failed to meet the criteria of 7 or more A*s at GCSE
    no i dont think thats an issue here..... i just looked at what you are applying for again. but now that i think about it.. government and economics is VERY competative at LSE. i know someone who applied for it and didn't get in. he ended up going to oxford. i myself applied for that course with a 38 in IB which is what they typically ask for. i don't know how that translates into the A level stuff but i got rejected. i'm almost sure the reason why was because they wanted a 766 in H level with math H level. i only had a 666 at H level and i didn't take math H level. so they seem very strict with what they ask for so check again and make sure what you have is EXACTLY or exceeds what they want.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if you're applying for a very competitive course then you're going to have to have high grades in order to compete with the other applicants.

I got 4 A*'s, 5 A's and 1 B at GCSE and 4 A's at AS level when I applied for BMS @ LSE, and I got my offer. That's all I can tell you in terms of my experience, which isn't fully helpful considering you're doing a totally different course in a different department!

If you go on the LSE website and find the information about your course, it'll show how many applicants they get and how many places are available, which gives you an idea of how much competition there is. I would do it now for you but I'm in a rush and the LSE website isn't loading very quickly for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drive like june)
    no i dont think thats an issue here..... i just looked at what you are applying for again. but now that i think about it.. government and economics is VERY competative at LSE. i know someone who applied for it and didn't get in. he ended up going to oxford. i myself applied for that course with a 38 in IB which is what they typically ask for. i don't know how that translates into the A level stuff but i got rejected. i'm almost sure the reason why was because they wanted a 766 in H level with math H level. i only had a 666 at H level and i didn't take math H level. so they seem very strict with what they ask for so check again and make sure what you have is EXACTLY or exceeds what they want.
    Well on the website it says the usual offer is AAB (at A2, the second year of A-level). I got (4As and 1 B at the end of the first year, so I'm on target on reaching that). With regards to GCSE, they just say several As and A*s so i'm nt sure what that actually means

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaf90)
    Well on the website it says the usual offer is AAB (at A2, the second year of A-level). I got (4As and 1 B at the end of the first year, so I'm on target on reaching that). With regards to GCSE, they just say several As and A*s so i'm nt sure what that actually means
    you are right. it says:

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A A B International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 37 points including 6 6 6 at Higher level

damn! went down since last year! you lucky turd lol

ReputationRep:
    oh wait nvrm it still said ib higher level math is desirable bleh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drive like june)
    you are right. it says:

Usual standard offer: A level: grades A A B International Baccalaureate: Diploma with 37 points including 6 6 6 at Higher level

damn! went down since last year! you lucky turd lol
    Govt+Eco's standard offer was ABB last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miltonkeynes)
    Govt+Eco's standard offer was ABB last year
    oh okay. it was 38 766 at HL for IB though

ReputationRep:
    oh crap...does that mean i shouldn't even bother applying to LSE..
    only got ABBC for as levels, am going to resit few modules..so hopefully boost it to an AABB or better AAAB...so yeah...is govt and economics that competitive..and only got 1A*,6A 3B for GCSE, and 1A2B1C for private candidate O-level.
    Also, my sister applied for UCL to do law, and the website wants AAA, but only offered her AAB...
    and i am doing ALL their preferred subjects...English Literature, Economics, Maths and History, and English (1 year only)...should i apply to Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Durham???any better universities which offers Govt/Politics and Economics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desperate47)
    oh crap...does that mean i shouldn't even bother applying to LSE..
    only got ABBC for as levels, am going to resit few modules..so hopefully boost it to an AABB or better AAAB...so yeah...is govt and economics that competitive..and only got 1A*,6A 3B for GCSE, and 1A2B1C for private candidate O-level.
    Also, my sister applied for UCL to do law, and the website wants AAA, but only offered her AAB...
    and i am doing ALL their preferred subjects...English Literature, Economics, Maths and History, and English (1 year only)...should i apply to Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Durham???any better universities which offers Govt/Politics and Economics...
    apply anyway. ucl is a bit different. LSE's policy is that they reject you if you miss one point from whatever they offer you (says my friend doing govt there now). warwick is pretty good but the entry requirements are 38 which is even higher last time i checked. i havent tried looking at the others although ucl doesnt combine politics and economics. only politics with eastern european studies or some crap like that which isnt hard to get into at all if thats your sort of thing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 11, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.