Turn on thread page Beta

Classics - Books that everyone praises but no one reads watch

ReputationRep:
    I love Jane Austen just so amusing and romantic , but I could hardly read a page of War and Peace so dull.

ReputationRep:
    Little Women
    Black Beauty
    Little Princess
    Heidi

I think these also count as classics(child ones though)..
    I remmeber enjoying reading these...lovely books, and beautifully written...highly recommended no matter how old u are..
    I still read them!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would NEVER, EVER have read Little Women (not my kind of book)...but mum insists on listening to Radio 4 in the car and I heard their adaptation of it this morning. Quite good, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Some classics will not be your cup of tea, but its amazing how many people put a 'classic' as their fave book. Interesting fact from the BIG READ,
    [I]"only 1% of the books we purchase wee written before 1900, although 22 of the titles in the big read were written before that date"

Personally my fave is the Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. Strong female characters and insanity make it an amazing book that holds yer interest.

Perhaps people like reading from the past as everything seems to be based on falling in love etc, rather than 'my cheating ex' which is a common theme of modern chick books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vivian)
    I love Jane Austen just so amusing and romantic , but I could hardly read a page of War and Peace so dull.
    I read 1/2 of War and Peace before I gave up completely. Although some time in the future I shall try again.

People should try the classics more often. I've read some Homer (I can't tell people enough to read The Iliad), some Austen (hate it), some Hardy (try him, he's great, if a little weird) and a lot of other authors who are superb. They really help you understand modern literature better.

Oh and Frankenstein... very disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    Google CALVINO and WHY READ THE CLASSICS for some interesting ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    CALVINO and WHY READ THE CLASSICS for some interesting ideas.
    i don't understand

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of Brian Friel- he's been dubbed a modern classic and I think he deserves that title.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.