Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lapsaJ)
    We had a professionally designed product and took sales - the perfect combination...yet didn't go through. (We made tutorial-type DVD's for gcse subjects)
    The thing is, a lot of groups produced revision DVDs, even one at our school.
    Obviously I don't know what the other groups did, but the judges probably wanted something more innovative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    The thing is, a lot of groups produced revision DVDs, even one at our school.
    Obviously I don't know what the other groups did, but the judges probably wanted something more innovative.
    That was just one of our products. It was so well designed that I even got took to one side and asked if I could work with one of the assessors there on a project he was doing. At the actual presentation bit they even had the cheek to say "Even though it doesn't look like the team have made the cd's themselves..." right before they presented us with some best product award.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by lapsaJ)
    That was just one of our products. It was so well designed that I even got took to one side and asked if I could work with one of the assessors there on a project he was doing. At the actual presentation bit they even had the cheek to say "Even though it doesn't look like the team have made the cd's themselves..." right before they presented us with some best product award.
    Sounds good; the group who did it at our school weren't anywhere near as professional.
    I don't think the discs had labels, let alone a cover, and the program on it was basically a Delphi app with a PowerPoint control to fill the whole form.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the judges can be quite confounding. The winning team in our region keeps reusing the previous years business report, courtesy of their business studies teacher. They put a lot of marks on 'understanding of business' shown in your reports, interviews and presentation, and they can be very nitpicky about spelling in the reports [ours didn't have any mistakes and they still critiscised it! they also got confused about the basic terms 'table football' and 'foosball' meaning the same thing. Honestly...].

All things said and done, I still recommend that you do Young Enterprise. Our sixth form [luckily they were mature enough] loves our pool table and foosball machine. We're re-entering again this year and hopefully expanding into other schools and other untapped markets.

You'll have fun and make a bit of money.

ReputationRep:
    My teachers always select me for any Enterprise competitions etc, I don't mind doing it really even though I don't really know what benefit I get out of it apart from meeting new people from different year groups.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.