Turn on thread page Beta

Did you put on weight at Uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I lost a load of weight last year.

I only ate small meals (was in self catered with next to no money). Then I became really ill and lost loads of weight that I never put back on. Then in term 2 I went from having one illness to another and hardly ate anything. Then I ended up with the illness I'd lost loads of weight from again just before I dropped out.

Since then I've pretty much stayed at the same weight. I think that will continue when I go to uni this year.

ReputationRep:
    I put on about 2 stone. that's cos i hit the gym hard in second year tho.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping i'll lose. I chose catered halls so that i wouldn't have an excuse to go out and buy binge food, and also because i have a phobia of eating in front of people.

ReputationRep:
    I think I put on about two stone in my first year... doesn't help that I'm catered and the desserts are nice (they even had a "buy one get one free on desserts" week in the first term). Also other mistakes such as stuffing myself at both lunchtime and dinnertime, and having a snack before bed.

Next year I'm going to go for a run or a swim a few times a week. I'm still catered though - perhaps I should limit the dessert eating.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be a miracle if I put on weight. I've been trying to for years! Stranger things have happened though, I guess

ReputationRep:
    Yes over 2st. I lost virtually all of it in the last 3 months of uni and the summer holidays - so in about the same amount of time i took to put it on - and am working on losing another 10-15lbs. Basically it's the same as everything said before: make sure you go tthe gym at least 4 times a week for 30 mins minimum, eat what you want BUT just have a few bites if it is unhealthy e.g. cake and think about what you are eating as you eat it. For most people weight gain is inevitable so just make sure it is only in the 0-5lbs range as that amount is fairly easily lost.

At my uni most people gained 5-7lbs with a fair amount gaining 10-15 (though these were often the skinny girls who ended up looking more 'average' sized by the end of the year). But the majority definitely gained some.

ReputationRep:
    i lose weight at uni. only put on weight when im at home.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I must've lost weight. I ate less than I did when at home, and got a little bit more exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie Hall)
    I'm hoping i'll lose. I chose catered halls so that i wouldn't have an excuse to go out and buy binge food, and also because i have a phobia of eating in front of people.
    surely you're more likely to be eating in front of people in catered? If you chose self-catered you could just eat in your room.

I think you're more likely to put on weight going into catered rather than self, definatly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk)
    It'll be a miracle if I put on weight. I've been trying to for years! Stranger things have happened though, I guess
    I guess I'm in the same boat, although for me it's more to do with the fact I have crappy eating patterns and instead of eating proper meals I just snack on junk that doesn't actually really make you fatter unless you are also eating the standard full meals aswell.

I hope to put on as much weight as possible at uni, probably one of the few there that'll be eating as much as possible lol.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.