Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Id be whining if i only had £20 a week to spend, but i suspose its better than nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Good.

I had £10 a week, I managed, I paid my own accomodation and I work in mcdonalds (yeah, that place you're too good for apparently).

ReputationRep:
    I love macdonalds. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upagumtree)
    Hey,
    I just made a thread in H&R complaining that I only have £20 to spend a week at uni and people just made me realise that I am so spoilt.
    There are people who get a lot less money than me for uni and I'm whining about having inly £20.

I just feel so bad
    I'm going to get only £20 a week to live on from my dad when I start uni...how is it possible? It's nothing to do with being a snob, £20 isn't much money at all. It only just pays for food. I want to have fun and why shouldn't I want to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    Good.

I had £10 a week, I managed, I paid my own accomodation and I work in mcdonalds (yeah, that place you're too good for apparently).
    Maybe things are cheaper in Poland (I would think you would earn more from working in McDonalds though).

Btw I do hope to get a job but it's not guaranteed. Any job will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eubacterium)
    I'm going to get only £20 a week to live on from my dad when I start uni...how is it possible? It's nothing to do with being a snob, £20 isn't much money at all. It only just pays for food. I want to have fun and why shouldn't I want to?
    Don't you international students get tons of loans and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    I'm a British Citizen going to study in Britain. I don't even speak Hebrew, my mum only registered me as a Israeli so I could get healthcare while staying there for a few years as a toddler.

She was being called a snob because she "wouldn't lower herself to work in mcdonalds" yet complained about how little money she would have.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a British Citizen going to study in Britain. I don't even speak Hebrew, my mum only registered me as a Israeli so I could get healthcare while staying there for a few years as a toddler.
    Oh right, so don't you get any loan? I mean, you aren't just going to have £20 a week from your dad are you.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Huh?!?!?

International students don't get any financial help whatsoever from the UK government. We can get private loans from our own countries, but these have very high interest rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by more adventurous)
    Huh? That doesn't make you spoilt. I couldn't live on 20 pounds a week without becoming malnourished.
    The whole premise of the thread is sarcasm lover girl :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, so don't you get any loan? I mean, you aren't just going to have £20 a week from your dad are you.
    To live on yeah (if I don't get work, but I'm hoping I will). The career development loan (being a postgrad I'm not entitled to the student loan) will only cover tutition fees and half - 2/3 of accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Huh?!?!?

International students don't get any financial help whatsoever from the UK government. We can get private loans from our own countries, but these have very high interest rates.
    My career development loan will have an interest rate of 64.5% (as will be paid over 5 years).

ReputationRep:
    Huh?!?!?

At postgrad at least, there's a coupla uni level grants/rebates you can get which home students can't! Like a 1,000~ a year fee rebate for example at some unis. But it's fair enough really as home fees are only 4-5k and international are like 12k!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    At postgrad at least, there's a coupla uni level grants/rebates you can get which home students can't! Like a 1,000~ a year fee rebate for example at some unis. But it's fair enough really as home fees are only 4-5k and international are like 12k!
    Only 4-5k?!! I'll have to pay 5.5k (plus 64.5% interest). I hope it's worth it!

ReputationRep:
    My career development loan will have an interest rate of 64.5% (as will be paid over 5 years).
    An £8,000 CDL loan from Barclays or the Co-op will result in a total of £2,850 interest over the 5 years. (nowhere near 64.5%)

But if you're smart you use the interest free period on the CDL, then pay it off and switch to a loan at 7.9% with Egg or something you'll pay a lot less.

Really, you should be doing your sums and planning better when working out your postgrad costs.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    An £8,000 CDL loan from Barclays or the Co-op will result in a total of £2,850 interest over the 5 years. (nowhere near 64.5%)

But if you're smart you use the interest free period on the CDL, then pay it off and switch to a loan at 7.9% with Egg or something you'll pay a lot less.

Really, you should be doing your sums and planning better when working out your postgrad costs.....
    No the interest rate increases depending on the number of years I chose to pay it off. So if it'll be paid over 2 years it'll double etc. There's no way I can pay it off in full during my studies (I can only pay it off in full while interest free).

ReputationRep:
    No the interest rate increases depending on the number of years I chose to pay it off. So if it'll be paid over 2 years it'll double etc. There's no way I can pay it off in full during my studies (I can only pay it off in full while interest free).
    you're not listening to me properly :p: Use the CDL for the interest fee period, and then at the end of your course (when you have to start paying interest) take out an equivalent loan with a different provider (at 7.9~) and pay off the CDL (which is a ridiculous 12.9%)

ps. My figures were from paying back over 5 years with Barclays. RBS is more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    20 quid a week, and u think ur spoilt!!!!

LMAO are u serious?

i spent 20 quid a day last year... im payin for it now but still...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.