Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winnipeg)
    Yeah, how much does it cost?! No one has actually said yet...I need to budget
    ~30-40 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarbruis)
    ~30-40 pounds.
    Where on earth does all that money go?

ReputationRep:
    I remember i was looking round Durham a couple of months ago and when i went into Collingwood there was an event advertised costing £70 per ticket! Although it did include food/drink in that but still im guessing the number of people at that was around 0!

It was post exam period if anyone remembers it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabeca)
    I remember i was looking round Durham a couple of months ago and when i went into Collingwood there was an event advertised costing £70 per ticket! Although it did include food/drink in that but still im guessing the number of people at that was around 0!

It was post exam period if anyone remembers it.
    It depends how wealthy some of the students are, and what you get for your £70.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarbruis)
    ~30-40 pounds.
    I was guessing it would be around £30 - I hope it's not more though, £40 seems a bit much...

ReputationRep:
    £40 buys me a lot of food. Unless I somehow get a job in the first few days it doesn't really seem worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Our ball was 102.50 in June...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abacab)
    Our ball was 102.50 in June...
    What did you get for that? I hope the food was gourmet.

ReputationRep:
    £102.50 ....!

ReputationRep:
    I was worried earlier about if I should go to the Freshers Ball and similar stuff or not. Probably not a thing I would normally go to but I want to get involved and meet everyone etc.
    The £30+ ticket price sure makes it a lot easier to say no to!

Any freshers want to go to the pub or student bar that night?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastGrape)
    I was worried earlier about if I should go to the Freshers Ball and similar stuff or not. Probably not a thing I would normally go to but I want to get involved and meet everyone etc.
    The £30+ ticket price sure makes it a lot easier to say no to!

Any freshers want to go to the pub or student bar that night?
    Sounds cool, it might be a good night to even do a TSR meet on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Sounds good to me. The freshers ball doesn't sound like enough fun for me to spend that much on it.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Well 4 of us, I'd say that was it confirmed.

I'd put it in my diary but I don't yet know when the Fresher's Ball is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastGrape)
    Well 4 of us, I'd say that was it confirmed.

I'd put it in my diary but I don't yet know when the Fresher's Ball is.
    October the 16th according the Facebook. Obviously the rest of the organsation will have to be done when we know good places in Durham to go to.

ReputationRep:
    The £70 event at Collingwood was our Summer Ball, I think it was medium to expensive compared to the prices of the others- and nothing on a lot of other unis (e.g. Cambridge in May week where you'll pay £80-90 absolute minimum and depending on which ball you go to- and your gender- rent for white tie as well...)
    The only thing that will be that expensive is the Summer Ball.
    Oh, and the Freshers Ball- I didn't go and the people that did said it really wasn't worth the money. I survived and have friends despite not going. Make of this what you will...

ReputationRep:
    October the 16th according the Facebook. Obviously the rest of the organsation will have to be done when we know good places in Durham to go to.
    I'll be there, wherever "there" turns out to be. This sounds cheaper and more fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    I'll be there, wherever "there" turns out to be. This sounds cheaper and more fun.
    Excellent. If someone else doesnt do all the organisation then I will attempt to do it. (i am a lousy organiser) If we cant find a place in Durham, Newcastle may be better.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. If someone else doesnt do all the organisation then I will attempt to do it. (i am a lousy organiser) If we cant find a place in Durham, Newcastle may be better.
    *cough*or Stockton*cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elyim)
    *cough*or Stockton*cough*
    I know my way around Newcastle already, so I know some nice places. Stockton is cheaper to get to though, if there is anything there.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.