Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I cycle about 6 miles on a morning at about 10am or something having had nothing to eat since the night before then have breakfast afterwards so as to eat when my metabolism's still high. Im not sure if it works but I at least feel like I've burned some fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    From the burning fat...

Exercising on an empty stomach, such as in the morning, increases fat burn as your body's glycogen supplies are depleted so more fat is used as an energy source.
    Interesting ****

ReputationRep:
    I have to eat something before I exercise or else I would probably faint! If I don't eat something first thing I would feel shaky and weak without attempting to exercise

ReputationRep:
    i dont really see how it could be of benefit, at the end of the day you have eaten and burned the same calories no matter when you choose to eat and exercise. so it makes sense to build up your energy levels before exercising.

ReputationRep:
    don't do that, you'll ****ing faint!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pav27)
    I find drinking too much when exercising gives me stitches, I'll take a big gulp of water every 10 mins or so when running, that's it. Always drink plenty and rehydrate afterwards though.
    i agree dont drink to much drink at interval or you get a very disgusting sickening feeling

ReputationRep:
    Anyone notice the conflicting advice here? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Linh~)
    unless you're weight training; you need protein in your stomach, or so i've been told.
    True, you shoudl eat carbs before sports and protein after to hlep build muscle.

ReputationRep:
    i think its better to fast before you do cardio, because if you eat, your body will be using energy to digest the food you ate, thus making it concentrate less on burning fat.
    as is my understanding.

ReputationRep:
    Exercising on an empty stomach is very effective for fat loss, but NOT running/jogging. That's conducive to muscle loss and faintness on an empty stomach.

Try brisk walking for 45mins-1hr either on a treadmill or around the neighbour hood, on an empty stomach

..shauny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99redballoons)
    i think its better to fast before you do cardio, because if you eat, your body will be using energy to digest the food you ate, thus making it concentrate less on burning fat.
    as is my understanding.
    Your digestive system comes to a near stop when you're doing cardio, so this doesn't really apply. It's also why it's a bad idea to eat then immediately work out - the food will be just sitting in your GI tract which can make you feel bloated and nauseous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauny)
    Exercising on an empty stomach is very effective for fat loss, but NOT running/jogging. That's conducive to muscle loss and faintness on an empty stomach.

Try brisk walking for 45mins-1hr either on a treadmill or around the neighbour hood, on an empty stomach

..shauny
    Complete rubbish, I run 4 miles 3/4 times a week first thing in the morning and never have anything to eat and never have once felt faint, not even when its hot.

ReputationRep:
    OK , now Im not going to be rude here, but whats been said before seems to be well, deluded.

Lets take two people, person A eats no breakfast and person B person eats breakfast.

Person B has 300cal for breakfast. A&B Both hit the gym in the morning, both do exactly the same work out and burn say 400 cal (not sure how accurate this is, but ball park figure, has no real impact). Now person A burns 400cal of fat whereas per person B burns 100cal. But oh wait!

Person A feels hungry and has exactly the same breakfast as person B, 300cal. These cals arent burnt of, total overall difference remains the same.

Hell, that might even be wrong as after exercise Person A will probably feel more hungry than they would have had they had breakfast and eat 400cal, resulting in no net change.

Moral of this story? Yes you will burn more fat, but, and heres the thing, it will only be in the short term. The results will only be great(er) if you cut the calories associated with breakfast.

If someone thinks I've missed something or am talking utter rubbish please feel to correct me, I am more than open to suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnkuk)
    OK , now Im not going to be rude here, but whats been said before seems to be well, deluded.

Lets take two people, person A eats no breakfast and person B person eats breakfast.

Person B has 300cal for breakfast. A&B Both hit the gym in the morning, both do exactly the same work out and burn say 400 cal (not sure how accurate this is, but ball park figure, has no real impact). Now person A burns 400cal of fat whereas per person B burns 100cal. But oh wait!

Person A feels hungry and has exactly the same breakfast as person B, 300cal. These cals arent burnt of, total overall difference remains the same.

Hell, that might even be wrong as after exercise Person A will probably feel more hungry than they would have had they had breakfast and eat 400cal, resulting in no net change.

Moral of this story? Yes you will burn more fat, but, and heres the thing, it will only be in the short term. The results will only be great(er) if you cut the calories associated with breakfast.

If someone thinks I've missed something or am talking utter rubbish please feel to correct me, I am more than open to suggestions.

From what I've heard and read, the body uses glycogen/carbohydrates as it's preferred source of energy and when that runs out, it begins to use up fat.
    The point of not eating for a while before working out is that your body has a lower amount of it's preferred source and instead uses up the fat for energy, this means that your performance won't be as good, but if you want to burn fat, that doesn't matter as you'll be burning more fat than if you had eaten something with a lot of carbs soon before working out, so you're supposed to feel weaker than normal.

So your overall fat loss depends what you eat and when; if you eat lots of fatty food, than it won't make a difference. If you eat carbs and wait before exercising then you'll burn the fat you have as the carbs will be used up. If you eat carbs and exercise without waiting for long then you'll just burn the carbs you have and then feel hungry afterwards.

So yeah, exercising in the morning with little/no breakfast sounds like the best option of you're burning fat. To build muscle, then carbs are better.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer going running in the morning before I eat. I funnily enough have more energy if i exercise in the afternoon but I think that's because I'm full or energy from eating (funnily enough). I find that if i do weights in the afternoon I tire quicker, but cardio is easier.

I would presume that a morning workout would burn more fat because you are having to dig into the fat stores for energy. Yes, the workout may feel more tiring and strenous but all in a good cause!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnkuk)

i agree, people are looking at this from a micro/short term perspective. the only thing that makes a difference is doing more exercise and/or eating fewer calories. in what order you choose to do things isnt going to make a difference, although in reality eating more before a workout will allow you to increase your exercise volume and is much safer practice.

this reminds me of one of those myths of training :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sziphix)
    From what I've heard and read, the body uses glycogen/carbohydrates as it's preferred source of energy and when that runs out, it begins to use up fat.
    The point of not eating for a while before working out is that your body has a lower amount of it's preferred source and instead uses up the fat for energy, this means that your performance won't be as good, but if you want to burn fat, that doesn't matter as you'll be burning more fat than if you had eaten something with a lot of carbs soon before working out, so you're supposed to feel weaker than normal.

So your overall fat loss depends what you eat and when; if you eat lots of fatty food, than it won't make a difference. If you eat carbs and wait before exercising then you'll burn the fat you have as the carbs will be used up. If you eat carbs and exercise without waiting for long then you'll just burn the carbs you have and then feel hungry afterwards.

So yeah, exercising in the morning with little/no breakfast sounds like the best option of you're burning fat. To build muscle, then carbs are better.
    what your describing is when you 'hit the wall', nobody here is able exercise burning purely fat. its too slow to get into the muscles as an energy source. which is besides the point as your assuming that when your bodies usuing its "preffered" energy source its not burning fat. which is incorrect. fat is slowly used up even when the muscles have glycogen. and you forgot to mention that when youve finished exercising and you start to eat it will be more or less converted straight into fat after glycogen levels have been restored. the result is no extra calories burned.

ReputationRep:
    And you're meant to exercise in the morning, but who else can never be bothered!

Seriously, I set the alarm for 6.30 this morning and then looked at it evily, then went back to sleep. Oops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shauny)

..shauny
    That sounds good. I should do the cross-trainer for an hour. Then eat. Then go to do my regular workout at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    I cba to say much here but a couple of things:

> After a night of sleeping your glycogen levels aren't depleted or even decreased at all probably, and that isn't why morning cardio might be useful - its just that your insulin will be low, having not eaten for a while, which will facilitate fat burning and ****.
    Conversely, eating a load of carbs and then exercising - its not really that you're neccessarily burning the carbs you just ate, but that the elevated insulin stops fat burning and promotes carb burning.

> If you want to do fasted cardio then keep it low-intensity. Walking or very easy jogging/cycling/whatever. Nothing made me flabby and crap quicker than when I tried doing sprints in the morning before breakfast.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.