Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to check your Durham account daily, to read all your notices - college notices, room changes etc... It's pretty important, I used to check mine a couple of times a day (sad I know )!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    You'll need to check your Durham account daily, to read all your notices - college notices, room changes etc... It's pretty important, I used to check mine a couple of times a day (sad I know )!
    Cant I get those emails diverted to my Google one, or am I stuck with Durhams email?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, that's beyond the realms of my techical ability . Maybe one of the Computer Science boffins will be able to answer that! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Hmm, that's beyond the realms of my techical ability . Maybe one of the Computer Science boffins will be able to answer that! :p:
    I might have to have a look at the panel when i get there then, i might be doing some CS myself (I havent chosen my subjects yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Cant I get those emails diverted to my Google one, or am I stuck with Durhams email?
    I'd like to know this as well. bigred?

ReputationRep:
    You will need information from people going into second year, as the ITS moved across to microsoft exchange server from their old system. Anybody in their third year or above probably wont be able to help because it is a different system. (So no one gets confused)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarbruis)
    I'd like to know this as well. bigred?
    This is certainly possible on the old email system, which current 2nd year (starting third year this year) students are on.

To do this login here https://www-same.dur.ac.uk/its/password/mailfilter/ and select 'Filter Rules'. Click 'Add a new rule' and select 'Forward' from the drop-down box and enter the other email address you wish the mail to be forwarded to. Click 'Create the new rule' to confirm this and this will take effect from 7am the following morning.

If you want to use gmail it's impractical to use your current gmail account and setup a label rule for university email in order to seperate it from other emails (this is as mailing-list emails aren't addressed to you specifically so you can't classify them using any search query), so the alternative is to setup a new gmail account specifically for uni emails.

I hope something equivalent is available for Exchange, as I believe the plan is to move everyone onto the new system possibly as soon as this year. It's possible to create mail rules on Exchange, although I don't know whether this is enabled or not. Hopefully you can setup a similar 'forward all' rule as above.
    This move to Microsoft Exchange is a problem for some users as IMAP is disabled, therefore forcing you to use the pathetic Outlook Web Access (which is crippled in anything other than Internet Explorer) or Outlook (Thunderbird claims to support Exchange, but it doesn't properly as it relies upon IMAP).

ReputationRep:
    I just tried to log in to my emails and when I did there was just a picture of Bill Bryson naked...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    I just tried to log in to my emails and when I did there was just a picture of Bill Bryson naked...?
    Phwoaar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Bloody favouritism .

ReputationRep:
    i cant get on it right now... grr

ReputationRep:
    I can't access emails still. I have something I need in there. FFS. This is PATHETIC.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on it fine at the moment. In other email-related news: I got a phishing email for my online banking this morning and I very nearly responded to it - it looked SO authentic (it even came from [email protected])! Glad I rang up instead

ReputationRep:
    Microsoft exchange server, you can set up a forwarding rule. If the ITS people are nice(I'm sure I'll find out) they may even do it on the server side for you.
    Yeah Outlook Web Access really sucks.
    If you set up the filter/rule, make sure it doesn't end up saying 'client-side' or 'this computer only' or you'll have to login all the time for the rule to run.

I use Thunderbird and my own domain name, so I will be setting up a new e-mail address just for my uni e-mail to be forwarded to.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.