Turn on thread page Beta

Push up and Sit up Tests watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im up to 40 so far, thanks for the help guys!

ReputationRep:
    I hate doing push up tests, you can whack out about 30 in 30 seconds and then it takes like a minute to do the next 15.

ReputationRep:
    100 pushups in 1 minute 20 seconds is pretty easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilsthorn)
    100 pushups in 1 minute 20 seconds is pretty easy...
    rofl you say that but the percentage of the population who could do it is probably less than 2.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep trying. I managed to get myself to do 10 pressups from being able to do 1 in 7 days by doing a few really good ones every few hours e.g. 3 sets of 4 reps. And I'm a girl with rubbish upper body strength!
    You just described Pavel's GTG. Do that, so if you can do 40 pushups go for perhaps 2 sets of twenty three times a day. Ditto for crunches. This program worked wonders for me, I was able to perform five ass to grass pistols and 10 pullups from a starting point of one wobbly pistol and three pullups. In two weeks! the key is to do easy reps concentrating on perfect form. Also beware, because you have to continue reminding the body "the groove" every now and then or else you will lose your gains very fast once you are done with the program.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    rofl you say that but the percentage of the population who could do it is probably less than 2.
    My average is around 1 minute 14 seconds. Then I do around 80 sit-ups. Common people, it's not that hard. Pull yourself together and keep on pushing!

Practice makes perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by devilsthorn)
    My average is around 1 minute 14 seconds. Then I do around 80 sit-ups. Common people, it's not that hard. Pull yourself together and keep on pushing!

Practice makes perfect.
    at that amount of repetitions though you're not going to gain anything out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, anyone tried Tabata pushups as a method to increase numbers? Works quite well apparently (you aim for a higher score on rounds each time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky2986)
    Is this for your selection? You don't need to do them only 10 for the doctor. My boyfriends just been so if you need to know anything I can ask him.
    Nope, you need to do them for your selection aswell.

As this is a student site, Im going to take a guess its for the OTC? If so I wouldnt worry about it, OTC is nothing like the army, and nowhere near as strict about things like this, or anything for that matter.

As has been said, its just a matter of pushing your threshold, bit by bit.

Oh and devils, there's no need to come here and start being big-headed; 'internet ego' gets you nowhere. There are many people that are naturally fit, and others that have to work at it, no need to mock anyone for their natural body complex.

(Original post by supernova2)
    at that amount of repetitions though you're not going to gain anything out of it.
    Although super, if you can do that many then you would be getting something out of it, its all about pushing yourself and pushing your limit.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hinton]
    As this is a student site, Im going to take a guess its for the OTC? If so I wouldnt worry about it, OTC is nothing like the army, and nowhere near as strict about things like this, or anything for that matter.

Thats not entirely true, ive been parade trained by 3 different RSM's who where working with the local OTC training them week in week out.
    For that OTC detachment it would've been incredibly strict, although like you said joining an OTC is nothing like the Army. Same goes for Navy and RAF equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, its for the OTC. Is it hard to get in? I did a week in the army for year 10 work experience, will they look at that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GTi)
    Hi, i'm starting to train for this test which consits of 44 push ups and 55 situps in 2 min, not both together 2 min each. can anyone give me any tips on how to train for this because i find just trying to do the test over and over isn't getting me very far. and incase anyone knows about this, its a test for the army and i wanted to know if your allowed a break as long as its within the 2 min.

Thanks
    Eurgh... the army.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh the OTC is pretty easy to get into. Nothing like the Army mind, and you wont get paid consistently. All the guys i met from an OTC where quite tall and lanky tbh so i bet you'll have no probs.
    If you're doing it while you're at Uni, then chances are not that many people will be joining making it a little easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frio3535)
    All the guys i met from an OTC where quite tall and lanky tbh so i bet you'll have no probs.
    how do you know i'm tall and lanky??

ReputationRep:
    I can do 50 press ups in a minute, have never tried to see how many sit ups i can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GTi)
    how do you know i'm tall and lanky??
    Erm i dont, i never said you where. I was just saying that with how well you've been progressing you shouldn't have a problem.
    Now i re-read my post i see where you're coming from lol

ReputationRep:
    ok, well iam quite tall so thats why i was getting a little freaked out!! lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i think being tall is an underlying requirement for the Army lol We shortarses join the Navy/Marines and those that can't get into these join the RAF :p: Ahhh forces banter, you gotta love it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 10, 2007
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.