Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by readyforaberequine07)
    Did someone say Llanbadarn has it too?

Tory Dan, when you say network cable you mean one of those that has the telephone-jack-like thingy on both ends? (Told you I don't speak tech-ese).
    They have many names, RJ-45, CAT-5, Ethernet cable, etc. If you just go to any PC or shop you will be able to ask and they should know what you mean. You can't really go wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    They used to, but the accomodation is being knocked down because it's crud lol.

ReputationRep:
    They may still have the wireless up in Llanbadarn, even if there isn't any accommodation, as the campus is still has academic departments (if they were covered by the wireless)

ReputationRep:
    What are they planning to do with the campus where they've knocked down the accommodation now? The few times i've been up there I always thought it looked OK on the outside, no worse than Penbryn before it was redecorated anyway! Did always seem to be out of the way though, I wouldn't fancy walking into town every few days from up there! Wasn't it catered?

ReputationRep:

Tory Dan, when you say network cable you mean one of those that has the telephone-jack-like thingy on both ends? (Told you I don't speak tech-ese).
    The Llanbadarn halls of residence did, but they're shut now.

I think I may register for wireless, seeing as now you just use the same password as your standard UWA login.

And make sure it is a STRAIGHT RJ45, not a crossover. Everything you need to know about connecting your PC to the network can be found here

ReputationRep:
    VARSITY!

*proud of contribution*

ReputationRep:
    hmm... I presume Cambrian and Lord Beechings have wireless cause they came up on my laptop when I was in the house a few weeks ago! Signal was just slightly too weak to steal though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thier is WIFI on the pier, so someone told me... not 100% sure as not tryed it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't the pubs which have wireless charge for it?

ReputationRep:
    Nope... spoons does... varsity, bar e and inn dont.

So many people leave their wifi open that live in houses so you can always get a signal. Before anyone pipes up about it being illegal... its actually illegal to not protect your own wireless network, so if you "borrow" their connection and they havent made the effort to keep you out... then its their fault...... how crazy is that tho... eh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikyle)
    Nope... spoons does... varsity, bar e and inn dont.

So many people leave their wifi open that live in houses so you can always get a signal. Before anyone pipes up about it being illegal... its actually illegal to not protect your own wireless network, so if you "borrow" their connection and they havent made the effort to keep you out... then its their fault...... how crazy is that tho... eh well
    Haha beautifully said...and are you kyle kyle kyle kyle...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    Everything you need to know about connecting your PC to the network can be found here
    Merci, Crisps!

ReputationRep:
    Another technology question: I decided to get an Orange phone plan since someone here said it worked well in Aber. I thought I'd be able to get a plan in London, but we won't have much time there, and the nearest Orange shop to Aber is in Carmarthen. I can't buy online because I need a pay-as-you-go plan (I'll be back in California in summer) and I need to talk to someone about it so I understand my expenses and whatnot. Any suggestions? Shops in Aber? Different plans?

ReputationRep:
    Another technology question: I decided to get an Orange phone plan since someone here said it worked well in Aber. I thought I'd be able to get a plan in London, but we won't have much time there, and the nearest Orange shop to Aber is in Carmarthen. I can't buy online because I need a pay-as-you-go plan (I'll be back in California in summer) and I need to talk to someone about it so I understand my expenses and whatnot. Any suggestions? Shops in Aber? Different plans?
    Well there is an orange shop in Aberystwyth, and I'm sure a certain person on here will tell you how nice the guy who runs it is lol.

If you can though, you are better off buying a PAYG phone off the internet, as most high street shops will charge a lot more for them.

If you look around, there are contract phones which work out at nothing a month (Not PAYG, but just a suggestion lol)

Such as this one (Link is to my brothers website) http://greatstudentdeals.blogspot.co...ntract-11.html

Where you pay the contract upfront but you simply claim back the money every 3 months. This is sort of how I've got my Samsung D900 on O2 (400 mins, 500 texts) for £11 a month!

And also if you do buy online, sign up and go via www.quidco.com, as they give cashback on phones bought through them.

There is also the Carphone Warehouse in Aber (one of the biggest mobile phone retailers in the UK) failing that.

ReputationRep:
    PAYG phones aren't always expensive...

Assuming you'll buy the cheapest in the shop (as i have done) I've seen some for £10 if you buy £10 top-up there too...

I'd use skype if you can thuogh. Free.

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure if Skype gets past the uni firewall though...

ReputationRep:
    D:

Does torrent? Or msn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djmilesno1)
    Well there is an orange shop in Aberystwyth, and I'm sure a certain person on here will tell you how nice the guy who runs it is lol.

If you can though, you are better off buying a PAYG phone off the internet, as most high street shops will charge a lot more for them.

If you look around, there are contract phones which work out at nothing a month (Not PAYG, but just a suggestion lol)

Such as this one (Link is to my brothers website) http://greatstudentdeals.blogspot.co...ntract-11.html

Where you pay the contract upfront but you simply claim back the money every 3 months. This is sort of how I've got my Samsung D900 on O2 (400 mins, 500 texts) for £11 a month!

And also if you do buy online, sign up and go via www.quidco.com, as they give cashback on phones bought through them.

There is also the Carphone Warehouse in Aber (one of the biggest mobile phone retailers in the UK) failing that.

He ISSSSSSSSS nice haha...there are 2 orange shops in aber I think though danny, one opposite KFC down by spoons and oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee down by varsity!

And skype does work at uni...did for me in first year anyway but it can be a bit slow...the time difference between rosser and brynderw was unbelievable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarainbow)
    D:

Does torrent? Or msn?
    torrents no, MSN yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yup Skype does work, I only used it occasionally in my first year though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 15, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.