Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You can predict yourself whatever the hell you want! You can get a third and still predict yourself a 1st...You probably won't get one, but hey...

Actually I have spoken to numerous recruiters who require 1st year results, and they require your predicted degree classification to be indicative of your first year results.

ReputationRep:
    When did I say that? Typically banks will look at your application form, see the 2:1+, see the 320 UCAS, check your uni, glance over your CV and invite you to take some online tests perhaps. Adding '1st in first year' will have a miniscule effect...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    When did I say that? Typically banks will look at your application form, see the 2:1+, see the 320 UCAS, check your uni, glance over your CV and invite you to take some online tests perhaps. Adding '1st in first year' will have a miniscule effect...
    This is all bull. Application forms ask for grades for a reason. If its application by CV, it will not have a miniscule effect as it shows that you have got what it takes to get the final grade. Think about it logically. Who would you hire? Someone who predicts themselves a first and backs it up with the grade or someone who predicts themselves a first and cant back it up.

Do you think banks would like to gamble and take on someone who says they will get a first when they got a third in their first year? Why do you think they ask for predictions? Not just so you can lie and make up whatever you want. They're asking what you honestly think you'll get and will expect you to back it up. Its up to you to decide how. Whats more convincing? - I got a first in my first year and believe that I am well on course to get a first for my final grade with hard work and dedication. Or, Oh I got a third in my first year but will work harder to get a final grade first.

Thinking that it has a miniscule effect it just being naiive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)

adding a 1st will have more than a miniscule effectif you end up putting it on your application form- but at the same time if they happen to not ask you your 1st year grade (even though u'd b an idiot not to mention it in ur interview) than whatever you predict yourself should be good enough(unless the applicant is a total pratt and predicts him/her self a 2.2)

ReputationRep:
    So what is the grade given for a first or a 2:1 in percentage?!? I graduated from school in Canada with a 76% in Bioengineering, and got in to UCL for their masters in biomedical engineering which said it required a minimum of 2:1. So is my 76% a 2:1 or a first?!?!?

Am I supposed to put my grade on my CV or is there a spot in the application forms, or do they ask for my transcripts??

(I know I'm doing masters in engineering, so why am I interested in banking, but I want to go into equity research. I've worked at a bank in Canada the last two summers in M&A and Int'l Finance, and really enjoyed it, but want to finish a masters degree before going into banking fulltime!!)

ReputationRep:
    76 canadian is a 2:1

ReputationRep:
    In the UK

70% and over is a 1st.
    60%-69% is a 2.1
    50%-59% is a 2.2
    40%-49% is a pass
    below 40% is a fail

ReputationRep:
    Wow, so basically the UK thinks the canadian system is ****!!

So is a 2.1 a reasonable grade to have when applying to IBs?!? Also, are Masters graded on the same level (i.e. 70%+ is a first?!?). Is it really difficult to get over 70% in the UK?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterJH)
    Wow, so basically the UK thinks the canadian system is ****!!
    No, it just means the grading system is different. The difficult required to get 70% in country A is the same as that of getting 85% in country B. It doesn't mean one system is harsher/more difficult than another. Just a different scale.

(Original post by PeterJH)
    So is a 2.1 a reasonable grade to have when applying to IBs?!? Also, are Masters graded on the same level (i.e. 70%+ is a first?!?). Is it really difficult to get over 70% in the UK?!?
    Yes a 2.1 is a reasonable grade. Masters are graded on the same level (alhough some courses work on a Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction system). And yes it's pretty tough in the UK to get over 70% as an overall grade.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.