Turn on thread page Beta

Have you been bullied? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you been bullied? (poll)
    Yes, badly.
    25.15%
    Yes, but not that badly.
    42.33%
    No.
    20.86%
    I was the bully. Haha.
    3.68%
    Been and have bullied.
    7.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How is anyone going to define this?

I've been accused of being a bully. It was shown that I was using the management and instructional techniques that I had been trained to and no aciton was taken. However, someone feels that I bullied them. Does this make me a bully or not?
    Nah, probably just a crap boss.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when I hit puberty I suffered from very bad acne and my weight shot up drastically. I never really got bullied for being overweight, because I wasn't massively overweight or anything, although I did get the odd comment every now and then. However, it was the fact I had acne that got me bullied from the ages of around 11-13 by a group of idiot boys the same age. They'd be lovely individually but put them together and they were so nasty. I've never been physically bullied, but words are just as hurtful. It's sad that people don't realise how just a few words can completely destroy a person's life. I partially blame them for problems later on... but that is another, more personal story.

Thankfully now, a few years on my acne has cleared up and I am at a healthy weight.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, sorry. Had a bit of bother with a couple of boys when I was six, but that sorted itself out fairly quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied from year 8 - to year 11, and it began as verbal abuse and escalated in to the odd physical contact until constant physical abuse at least once a day, with verbal abuse too.

I remember being in my Art classes, at the start i was an A* student and then slowly it got worst. Sneers turned into name calling, knocks turned into punches and so on. One day it would be fine, but the next i felt like giving up on school and then eventually life. I ended up getting a C in that class. I was weak.

The verbal abuse was really constant though, every class and anywhere in the school. Most teachers tried but failed to stop anything, until it got to full on fist fghts or compass stabbings. I remember one girl got a chair thrown at her, another in a french class got stabbed by a compass twice and one boy used to get toss around the P.E changing room like a rag doll...

Sad thing is i was the kind of child who kept it all in - still do that now mostly, i never told anyone apart from one teacher and my parents but i think i grew custom to it. My grades dropped and i was blamed for being lazy, yet in truth i use to sweet and panic of the idea of even having to be sat next to one of these people. Heck in maths, dictated by one strict teacher, i had to endure a whole year on the same table with one people who would dish out verbal abuse to me. Every time i asked to move i was told there is A. no space or B. no need, stop being lazy and get on with work

oh and i remember one Art class, a friend of mine finding himself in a headlock in the middle of the classroom... happy days.

ReputationRep:
    every school, every year without fail.

I used to miss about 2 days a week in infant school because I was "ill" and couldn't go in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenvY)
    Nah, probably just a crap boss.
    I was 17, I bet I was crap.

(cheers for the thought though)

I am sorry for those who got bullied at school. It's horrible, especially if you don't have friends who will support you. I was a victim during the first few years of secondary school. i was isolated and couldn't make friends. i probably felt so alone and sick and tired. my self-esteem consistently got lower and lower. and it's partly my fault - i did not have the guts to stand up for myself. But thankfully it wasn't too bad - just some poking and touching and teasing and stealing my stuff but nothing that put me into hospital. but i did cry in front of class quite a few times.

but it got better as people became more mature. sigh...

to myself and others: MUST MOVE ON.

ReputationRep:
    I was bullied through much of my school days and over FB by some drinking society people during my first year at university.

ReputationRep:
    i was bullied up until i was 15, then i went to learn two martial arts and played on the football and hurling teams
    kinda went away then
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yes, i guess i was. I was in year 4 and my teacher was under alot of stress (I think a fmaily member was very ill) and she took that stress out on me. Once I couldn't do a homework (I was only 9!) she called my mum in to school and told her i was useless and even made my mum cry. She also used to shout at children to stop crying when it was she who made them cry in the first place. However I did realise how supportive my best friend was and we are still best friends to this day. Now i realise how troubled my teacher was and I now just feel sorry for her. It was only for a very short period and I forgive her now.

ReputationRep:
    Final year of primary school. It was mainly social exclusion.

I was at boarding school at the time and I spent much of the time shut away in my room as I couldn't face going in to lessons. I got detentions for not turning up that also I never went to (for the same reason). Then one day I decided I would try going in and someone in my year told me to commit suicide. I'm still affected by that comment, but to be honest that was what made me not do it. There was no way I was going to let him win that one.

ReputationRep:
    Well, duh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ashamed to say that I was once a bully. I was only 8 at the time but I have no excuses. I just liked the power (yeah, at that age) that I had over the girl.

I didn't let it go on for very long but I really regret what I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MouseMint)
    I'm ashamed to say that I was once a bully. I was only 8 at the time but I have no excuses. I just liked the power (yeah, at that age) that I had over the girl.

I didn't let it go on for very long but I really regret what I did.
    Did you ever apologise to her?

I was once accused of bullying as part of a group and despite our protests to the contrary we were not listened. In the end the boy admitted that he had started it. It wasn't nice to be accused of it, though.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I was bullied a little bit at secondary school, nothing physical; just verbal, that sort of thing.

The sort of stuff you expect really, a few taunts from a group "of the lads" and a few taunts from the "popular girls", but it never really affected me that much.

It warms me inside to hear about them slaving away in meagre unskilled jobs nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djhworld)
    I guess I was bullied a little bit at secondary school, nothing physical; just verbal, that sort of thing.

The sort of stuff you expect really, a few taunts from a group "of the lads" and a few taunts from the "popular girls", but it never really affected me that much.

It warms me inside to hear about them slaving away in meagre unskilled jobs nowadays.
    Yeah that is what keeps me slightly happier, the people that bullied me are either doing unskilled jobs or living of benefits and tied down by a child - justice served.

ReputationRep:
    i had the the *****y backstabbing thing in senior school
    but i think the worst form of bullying was probably the way me ex manipulated me to the point of lots of people thinking i was a bad person and i got so fun down i had glandular fever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarryEyedSurprise)
    Just out of interest.
    hmm my initial response is always 'no', I mean I never got teased over specifics, I mean there's nothing to tease me about . But jokes aside I guess I was kinda of indirectly bullied where by my 'friends' left me in like year 7. I don't know if this is classified as bullying or just some other ****, but yeah..
    But me and a few mates used to bully this girl, I guess it was wrong in hinsight. Her mum even came down to the school and went off chops, but she was just as rude to us, so I say what gos around comes around.

ReputationRep:
    i don't know...it's very hard to find the line between being teased by children who don't really know any better, or just having a problem with an individual for a period of time, and actually being bullied. definitely never been physically bullied, but i suppose i was verbally, to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, pretty much right the way from year 3 till half way through year 9 in various forms. nothing i said to anyone - adults, bullies or friends - worked. only stopped cos i broke the main bully's arm.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.