Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A* in engilsh lit shocked me completely. A* in STATS nearly gave me a heart attack! (i did NO revision.) And C in Drama amazed me as we've had 6 teachers over the past 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    physics, the core paper was so hard. got a c in the mock, thought i'd failed the actual exam but ended up with an A*
    and english language, only dropped one mark in the exams
    no idea how i managed either of those!

ReputationRep:
    A* in English Lit :confused:

It still baffles me as I haven't even read the novel lol

ReputationRep:
    English Language, am stunned I got an A in that. And also Stats because i did it as an extra class for half an hour a week in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was going to get about a B in maths (due to help from a tutor) as I'd gotten a C in my mocks. However, I got an A... that surprised me.

I also thought I'd completely screwed up my French but managed to get an A. Science also completely shocked me. I hadn't thought the exam had gone overly well... but I got A*s.

To be fair.. everything was a shock. I was expecting maybe 2 A*s which I was predicted in English (though I doubted I'd get it in language- and didn't)... and then a mixture of As and Bs.. maybe one C.

ReputationRep:
    I was really surprised with my A* in Fine Art. I'd never been given an A* for any of my Art coursework before and my teacher kept reminding the class for two years that it was basically impossible to get the top grade. I seriously have my suspicions that she was part of a conspiracy: telling us that the A* boundary was 95% when it was really 85% in order to make us get higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeykayem)
    I was really surprised with my A* in Fine Art. I'd never been given an A* for any of my Art coursework before and my teacher kept reminding the class for two years that it was basically impossible to get the top grade. I seriously have my suspicions that she was part of a conspiracy: telling us that the A* boundary was 95% when it was really 85% in order to make us get higher grades.
    It is actually 97% for an A*.

ReputationRep:
    I was in complete shock about most of my grades... particularly my History and English Language ones, as I hadn't even finished those papers properly! :eek:
    It was a lovely surprise, though, so I'm hardly complaining! I really wasn't expecting most of mine - well, I knew the C in Maths was inevitable, but that's all I'm capable of in that subject. :p:
    My grades were above and beyond my expectations, with the exception of Drama, so there was an awful lot of "how on earth did I manage that?" from me!

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in PE even though i got a GCSE certificate in April saying i got an E. :s: I never even did any coursework or anything to bump it up to a C. Easiest C i ever got. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    all u lot seem really happy!!

UNLIKE ME:

i was predicted A*A* for both english and english literature, and ended up getting an A for language and B for literature AND all my courseworks were A* too :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    ig to As for english when i was predicted Cs, and my courseowrk was all lowish Bs, i actually got a pretty high A in enlg lit where i thought i screwed up the exam!!! i did have a really good tuor thoguh.

LPK are you sure you didnt get an E int he practical bit and then bump it up to a C with the theory cos thats what i did... wanted a B though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    ig to As for english when i was predicted Cs, and my courseowrk was all lowish Bs, i actually got a pretty high A in enlg lit where i thought i screwed up the exam!!! i did have a really good tuor thoguh.

LPK are you sure you didnt get an E int he practical bit and then bump it up to a C with the theory cos thats what i did... wanted a B though
    I never did any theory. :p:

ReputationRep:
    For me, English Language without a doubt. I can't even begin to describe how much I messed up that exam, really I can't. My coursework was a high A* and so pulled it up, but I was truly scared all summer that I'd end up with a D/C

Could not believe it when I saw the A*. My best hope had been a B. Guess that's why I'm not an examiner :p:

ReputationRep:
    A in eng and eng lit. I think its cuz my teacher was a really harsh marker for the practice papers we were doing coz he always gave me C or D, but I guess we both knew I was better than that!

ReputationRep:
    French for me! Although it was one of my strongest subjects in the writing paper I wrote about the wrong thing for 1 of the 2 essays and thought I'd lost 12.5% however somehow managed to come out with an A*. I guess they marked what I had written for quality and I just got 0 for the content marks for not answering the questions lol! I screamed so much with happiness when I read my grade as I was convinced I had got a C

ReputationRep:
    In English Language, i got an A, which really surprised me. :eek: My target grade was an A, but as i've only ever achieved that on one piece of coursework, i very much doubted i would come anywhere close in the exam. :p: But i must of done!

ReputationRep:
    Getting an A* in History (OCR)! I was predicted a B and my teacher sucked. I remember in the exam how people kept wanting more and more paper, where I on the other hand just filled my booklett! Just goes to show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adz1991)
    Getting an A* in History (OCR)! I was predicted a B and my teacher sucked. I remember in the exam how people kept wanting more and more paper, where I on the other hand just filled my booklett! Just goes to show.
    I used 4 pages extra paper for history - I got a B but i got a D in coursework predicted an E, So i'd beg to differ on the paper thing lol because i got an A* in the exam :-)
    really well done though, apparently history is the hardest gcse because its all one level, no foundation/higher tiers etc.

ReputationRep:
    History isn't the only all-on-one-level GCSE. RS is like that too. And so's Ancient Greek apparently. Not that I'm saying History isn't hard.

ReputationRep:
    I think I used a lot stronger language than 'dude how the hell did I manage to get that grade' when I found out that I got a B in Spanish (thank God no one else was around when I opened the envelope!) I took it for an after school class once a week on and off for three years and thought I'd be really lucky to get a C.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.