Turn on thread page Beta

What is critical thinking? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nieva-en-el-invierno)
    critical thinking is on the black list though - please do consider that.
    Yes but its not completely "blacklisted" - I got an offer from Cambridge of 3 A's, and that was out of four subjects, one of which was critical thinking. In the end I got all A's, but had I dropped a B, CT could have been one of my 3A's required. And plus its really useful - the most useful subject I've ever done.

(Original post by gooner1592)
    It doesn't count towards anything; university places and what have you.
    If the means, in this case one's A-levels, has the sole end of obtaining as "good" a university place as possible then I would agree with your conclusion. However, is that the sole end of A-levels? They are a form of education; can education not be pursued for other benefits beyond university admission, or even pursued for its own sake? With so much information available, it is vital that one is able to sort that which is true from that which is false, and able to sort that which is useful from that which is useless. In one's studies, being able to produce an argument with academic rigour is necessary for one to achieve success in one's field. The skills of analyzing and evaluating an argument, and then producing your own counter-argument - the skills that are the exact focus of the Critical Thinking A-level - are valuable in the course of your other studies, and they can help when reading newspapers or watching the television. The skills are not the primary focus of any other A-levels, even though they are they exist as a necessary element of a well-rounded education.One could even argue that developing those skills within the body of a firm, educated mind, is just as important as the application of those skills, although there is no doubt that such application will occur regularly. As the core basis of a thorough education they allow man to be the master of reason. Yet you, my friend, proclaim that man's mastery of reason should be supplanted by the whimsical ideas of university admission tutors!

I do not deny that it is true that there is the possibility that these skills can be developed during the course of other studies, but what better way to gain confidence in thinking critically than by undergoing a targeted, systematic study of those very skills? By taking Critical Thinking, one is able to develop those skills that are vital for success in future studies and, just as importantly, vital for you, for us, to fulfill the role as conscientious and truly upstanding citizens of our democratic country.

And thus, your phrase, "it doesn't count for anything," becomes as scary as it is absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    If the means, in this case one's A-levels, has the sole end of obtaining as "good" a university place as possible then I would agree with your conclusion. However, is that the sole end of A-levels? They are a form of education; can education not be pursued for other benefits beyond university admission, or even pursued for its own sake? With so much information available, it is vital that one is able to sort that which is true from that which is false, and able to sort that which is useful from that which is useless. In one's studies, being able to produce an argument with academic rigour is necessary for one to achieve success in one's field. The skills of analyzing and evaluating an argument, and then producing your own counter-argument - the skills that are the exact focus of the Critical Thinking A-level - are valuable in the course of your other studies, and they can help when reading newspapers or watching the television. The skills are not the primary focus of any other A-levels, even though they are they exist as a necessary element of a well-rounded education.One could even argue that developing those skills within the body of a firm, educated mind, is just as important as the application of those skills, although there is no doubt that such application will occur regularly. As the core basis of a thorough education they allow man to be the master of reason. Yet you, my friend, proclaim that man's mastery of reason should be supplanted by the whimsical ideas of university admission tutors!

I do not deny that it is true that there is the possibility that these skills can be developed during the course of other studies, but what better way to gain confidence in thinking critically than by undergoing a targeted, systematic study of those very skills? By taking Critical Thinking, one is able to develop those skills that are vital for success in future studies and, just as importantly, vital for you, for us, to fulfill the role as conscientious and truly upstanding citizens of our democratic country.

And thus, your phrase, "it doesn't count for anything," becomes as scary as it is absurd.
    This is an EXCELLENT post and I agree 100%.

I've been chosen by my school to do this subject, and many people/relatives who have taken on this course claim it has been invaluable to their pursuing of the desired career.

Thinking logically, problematic questions and everyday practicality are just a fraction of some of the skills you can adopt and master in you're everyday life.

Brilliant subject, doesn't require much work AT ALL. Im certainly glad to opt for it, and i'm sure it will do the world of good.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.