2 words :

collingwood

end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    2 words :

collingwood

end of.
    Collingwood used to have the best rooms, and overall still do.

Other colleges now have individual blocks, which I would consider better than Collingwood. Van-Mildert's new block is fully-ensuite, fully cabled, sizable rooms, with a fridge and kettle in each room as well.

Collingwoods main problem as far as I can see, is it can appear to act as if it's a conference centre that graciously allows some students to be there during term time, as opposed to a college that runs conferences in the holidays.

They caused a big stink in the summer of 2002, when they forced all the finalists to move out of their rooms, to fit in a conference during graduation week. The finalists still had somewhere to stay, its just they were made to move all their stuff twice in one week, when they should have been partying. They also lost their ensuite facilities, and I think some had to share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dave134)
    They caused a big stink in the summer of 2002, when they forced all the finalists to move out of their rooms, to fit in a conference during graduation week. The finalists still had somewhere to stay, its just they were made to move all their stuff twice in one week, when they should have been partying. They also lost their ensuite facilities, and I think some had to share.
    If they did that to me, i wouldn't move. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    2 words :

collingwood

end of.
    yup. Wood all the way.

ReputationRep:
    No-one's mentioned the fact that Collingwood is known as the 'Hotel on the Hill'....

It may have decent rooms and facilities but I've often found it doesn't have the atmosphere to match. And last term I went to the bar and they'd run out of lager! What kind of bar is that?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_jas)
    No-one's mentioned the fact that Collingwood is known as the 'Hotel on the Hill'....

It may have decent rooms and facilities but I've often found it doesn't have the atmosphere to match. And last term I went to the bar and they'd run out of lager! What kind of bar is that?? :confused:
    Last time I was in collingwood bar, I was working there for a conference just before it was shut for refurbishment. I would be interested to know how it looks now.

And the gits didn't pay me for months. They offered us work in the summer, but couldn't get the cheques signed until term started again. :mad:

ReputationRep:

I'll create the atmosphere! And in anycase, i'll be drinkin all the lager too.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it's a really nice bar (i'm only a 2nd yr so don't know what it was like pre-refurbishment), its probably one of the nicest college bars in durham. I just think its a bit lacking in atmosphere.
    It mightve just been down to the people that were there tho i suppose, hopefully you new guys will be a bit more lively!
    Seriously, some nights it was like Mary's in there!

Last year on our open day our bar was closed for some spectacularly stupid reason so we took over Collingwood's!

ReputationRep:
    I am angered and shocked! Cuths has fantastic accomodation, yet you didn't think to include us! You also failed to mention Chads. Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    A poll can only have ten option thingys at most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilling)
    A poll can only have ten option thingys at most.
    So some of the *****y irrelevant hill colleges should have been left out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dancer83)
    University and Collingwood currently tied as First,

anyone want to argue that????
    No! Moatside is minging!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    So some of the irrelevant hill colleges should have been left out!
    The only undergrad college in Durham City missed off the list was St Chads, which is the smallest and so most obvious one to miss out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyBlue)
    my room this year was immense!!!!! Han's room would have been cool if her stuff hadn't been all over it!!!! but my room was soooo big and generally really cool.

never underestimate Cuths!!!
    Tis true...we both had massive rooms. Mine had big windows, which were really cool, and all the rooms had lots of furniture etc. Our house was so amazing I will miss it so much. I loved sharing. It was really fun.

ReputationRep:
    The only undergrad college in Durham City missed off the list was St Chads, which is the smallest and so most obvious one to miss out.
    Excuse me? Cuths was missed out!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AveHan)
    Excuse me? Cuths was missed out!!
    Cuths is not a college. The original poster asked about college accomodation, not society accomodation

ReputationRep:
    Cuths is not a college. The original poster asked about college accomodation, not society accomodation
    I'm sure the poster didn't know the difference, and is such cases Cuths is often classed as a college.

ReputationRep:
    I thought a society was just a college that was a little more spread out! I know theres different running of things but when is a college not a college?

ReputationRep:
    It's just a technicality. Cuths have more say in the running of their affairs coz theyve managed to get control of their spending rather than have Old Shire Hall do it for them. I think that's why they've got the slightly different set-up over there in terms of head of college and JCR president etc.

Anyway, it's just an admin thing, when you're talking about the colleges you include Cuths, unless you're being excessivly pedantic. It is the biggest one after all!

ReputationRep:
    It's just a technicality. Cuths have more say in the running of their affairs coz theyve managed to get control of their spending rather than have Old Shire Hall do it for them. I think that's why they've got the slightly different set-up over there in terms of head of college and JCR president etc.

Anyway, it's just an admin thing, when you're talking about the colleges you include Cuths, unless you're being excessivly pedantic. It is the biggest one after all!
    My point exactly. A society is just where the students have more control, rather than the staff.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.