Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsLad)
    Swift kick in the nuts :eek:
    That's why they call me Terry Tibbs

*Hopes you watch FoneJacker*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxid)
    My course was in clearing last year and I noticed a higher number than average dropped out/didnt start the course. I dont really find it annoying. Regardless of whether they have chosen it as Firm or entered by the skin of their teeth through clearing, you are always going to have slackers.
    the more drop out, the lower the student to teacher ratio
    which is a good thing is it not?

i guess it dpeends only on group work (for those who do belive clearing students are less dedictaded..)
    however i figured that you had to have appliead anyways and missed your firm and insurance so surely they'd stick with the same subject?

ReputationRep:
    Why does it bother you? It really won't make a difference to you whether or not someone got into the course through clearing or not, just be happy you have a place!

Not everyone who gets onto a course through clearing is a stupid person who picked the course because it sounded 'fun'. They may not have gotten into their first choice uni for that course or realised after applying that they actually really wanted to do that couse and so clearing was their last option.

Doesn't make a difference to you!!

God, some people eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KinkayGema)
    Why does it bother you? It really won't make a difference to you whether or not someone got into the course through clearing or not, just be happy you have a place!

Not everyone who gets onto a course through clearing is a stupid person who picked the course because it sounded 'fun'. They may not have gotten into their first choice uni for that course or realised after applying that they actually really wanted to do that couse and so clearing was their last option.

Doesn't make a difference to you!!

God, some people eh?
    I am stupid and I got in having not studied since erm 1989 but I think the fact that I have 18 years experience and an MBE must have made my Uni think I was worth a place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adthegreat)
    That's why they call me Terry Tibbs

*Hopes you watch FoneJacker*
    2 pand 2 pand ur avvin a laff ... 1 pand 1 pand ur killin me

ReputationRep:
    I changed my mind about my course and uni post results and ended up somewhere totally different. That said there are bigger wasters than me on the course who got in earlier, my grades aren't lower than average (they actually made an extra place on the course for me because my grades were so high), I'm famed in the dept for being uber-enthusiastic about my subject, and I get very good marks. Personally, I'd recommend being openminded rather than presumptious as you start uni.

And if there are dossers on your course, whether they come through clearing or not, then you'll look even better by comparison. So what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Ah cool now I am an old dosser lol

Woo hoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk)
    Slow clapping any clearing students who enter the lecture hall should make you feel a bit better about it
    i would laugh SO hard if anyone did that.

ReputationRep:
    Wheres the OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baebe)
    I've just had a bit of a think about the course I'm studying in September and the fact that I've been so in love with the subject for years and can't imagine not doing it as a career.

Now, I've had a look at my uni's site and my course is on the clearing list, and to be honest, I'm quite annoyed.... rightly or wrongly so, I'm not sure.

I just hate the fact that I've studied for years to get into uni to study my one passion, and then there's 18 year olds joining my course from Clearing who've never even contemplated studying this subject before and chose it because it sounded interesting....

So to conclude, I'm not keen on clearing students being on my course.
    Are you at all bothered by it or am I just a big old miser??? haha.
    This is quite a silly attitude. As people have said, people go through clearing for many reasons, including missing their offers for the same course at a more competitive university. My partner teaches at the University of Hull, and there all the best students came through clearing. People who applied directly to Hull for English are not as good, generally, as those who'd applied to Warwick and York, had then missed their offers, and had been so involved with and excited about their subject that they'd rather go through clearing and start university straight away than wait a year and reapply somewhere else. In universities with lower entrance requirements, clearing students are often the best of the bunch.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think vet med is usually open for clearing, but i have to admit it would kind of annoy me if someone got in who hadnt even thought of doing this course until now got in. i mean i had to do ALOT of work exp to get my interviews, and if someone got in just cause they got good grades, and only decided in the last month thats what they wanted to do and didnt even apply in the first place to this course, it wouldnt really be fair on those who were rejected after interviews who have been wanting to do this for years.

it would be different if they just missed out on the grades, and it was their passion, or like people have said above, that they decided that they were better suited to this course after applying. but i wouldnt want someone to get a place on the course cause they decided this was suddenly what they wanted to do just cause there was a place in clearing.

*sorry bout the rant*

ReputationRep:
    my course is on clearing and I'm pretty glad in a way, there obviously weren't that many applicants and I'd prefer for me course to have as many students doing it as possible for the social side, going to a small sixth form after a year in a real college where classroom sizes shrunk from 25~ to 10 wasn't really that fun :P
    the more the merrier as they say

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought you would have more things to worry about at Uni than who does what and who comes from where FFS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissVet)
    i dont think vet med is usually open for clearing, but i have to admit it would kind of annoy me if someone got in who hadnt even thought of doing this course until now got in. i mean i had to do ALOT of work exp to get my interviews, and if someone got in just cause they got good grades, and only decided in the last month thats what they wanted to do and didnt even apply in the first place to this course, it wouldnt really be fair on those who were rejected after interviews who have been wanting to do this for years.

it would be different if they just missed out on the grades, and it was their passion, or like people have said above, that they decided that they were better suited to this course after applying. but i wouldnt want someone to get a place on the course cause they decided this was suddenly what they wanted to do just cause there was a place in clearing.

*sorry bout the rant*
    And how exactly will you tell the difference begtween the people who really wanted to do vetmed but didn't get into a more conmpetitive uni and therefore had to go through clearing and those who just decided on spur of the moment that they wanted to do vetmed?? How do you know who you are angry with? Sounds so stupid to me

ReputationRep:
    Well u see we will be issued with T-shirts

One will say

"I am a stuck up tosser with nothing better to do than whinge"

The other will say

"I am normal and not with stoopid"

This was a mature student public announcement .....

By the way did I tell u that I had to go through UCAS cos I thought I was thick .. saw my Course Leader today who saud I have already done 2/3 of a BSc and I am actually at Masters level ..

Well I never .. gimme that t shirt

ReputationRep:
    Most places where you need an interview (and I expect vet med would come in there) the place is officially in clearing but they contact the people who nearly got a place on the interview and ask them if they want to apply through clearing

I've known a few people say that's how they got onto the midwifeyr course at various unis (some were told they were on areserve list, others weren't)

ReputationRep:
    Its what you make of it when you get there really, not how you get there. I made my offer dead on, some of my coursemates exceeded it by like 3 grades and now im doing better than them...it really doesen't make a lot of difference how you get into it. One of my friends who got in through clearing is a very very clever guy and doing really well. Hes no more or less passionate about the subject than I am, just got here via a slightly different route.

ReputationRep:
    How on earth do you know who got in through clearing, who got the grades and who just missed out, who put it as their firm and who put it as insurance etc etc anyway? They don't make you wear badges like in Nazi Germany you know.
    I've got no idea who the "clearing students" are on my course and I coudn't care less. Once you are all at uni these things don't matter at all. You certainly don't sit talking about them all night in the bar. You have far more interesting and important things to do.

ReputationRep:
    My course wasn't/isn't in clearing but I doubt I'd care if it was. As others have mentioned, there are numerous reasons why people may go through clearing. It doesn't mean that they all missed their grades or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really bother me but I do wonder what was the point of me worrying about getting in if my course was in clearing.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.