Interest payable on student loans???! Watch

snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
Once graduated and applying for mortgages etc. are you going to have a bad credit score/rating because of the "student debt"?
No. You'll only end up with a bad credit rating if you are unable to manage your debt.
~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My brother did get refused credit cards once he graduated... so i think it does count in some ways (he has never had a overdraft or anything like that!)

I don't know if that still happens though.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ~Kirsty~)
My brother did get refused credit cards once he graduated... so i think it does count in some ways (he has never had a overdraft or anything like that!)

I don't know if that still happens though.
That'll be because he didn't have a credit rating. That can be as bad as having a bad credit rating.

Your student loan can affect how much mortgage you can get though.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats silly lol! Thats why i applied for a credit card while i'm at uni, even though i hardly use it!
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Your student loan can affect how much mortgage you can get though.
Only in that the repayments will affect your monthly incomings, surely?
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well i couldn't understand half of what was written in the text speak post either... Text speak is against TSR rules anyway.
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snu)
Pass me the crack pipe.
Pass it to me too.

FFS

Right, student loans are charged at the rate of inflation. This is taken from the RPI (thats a measure of inflation) of the previous March for all your debts for the next year. Every September the interest rate for all Student Loan debts changes. This means that everyone from new starter to graduate who owes money is charged 4.8% on any outstanding debt they have over the year. The fee they charge you is worked out on a daily basis by using the simple figure of 4.8 (which is the rate of inflation) divided by 365/6 (the number of days in the year). They charge the fee to you the next September (correct me if I am wrong)

The interest rate is variable. This means that it changes every year. You maybe paying 4.8% this year, but next year, it could be something lower.

Dont be put off borrowing this money due to the relatively high interest rate. It will average itself out over the period of time you borrow it to hopefully a lower amount.

Commercial loans cost much more than this per annum.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND??? :confused:
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually, interest is debited from your balance on a monthly basis at the SLC (see your annual statement, if you have one).

There is still an argument for avoiding all debt where possible. The repayments will take a chunk out of your earnings once you graduate. If you suck at managing money and you're likely to spend more if you have your loan to spend, you might want to avoid it. Otherwise, it's still a better option than spending your own money.
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dont have one, only completed first year.
snu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah, ok. You should get one in the next few weeks.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My yearly statement doesn't come till almost december... its shocking really!
jennyng2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
aye and innit ARENT text speak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no one makes money off our loans, we get them at cost price and we pay back what they are worth. if you have to have a loan its the best loan you could ever ask for!
donuticus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do what everyone else does. Work self employed pay yourself wages of less than 15,000pa and claim back the maximum untaxable benefits, I.e Travel, laundry etc. Otherwise do like my brothers and sisters did and emigrate to Australia. My brother got a phone call from SLC in Glsgow asking when he was gonna pay his student loan. He told them where he was and asked them if they liked there call centre job. He hung up the phone and has never heard from them again. hahaha
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (483)
46.67%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (320)
30.92%
I don't have an opinion (232)
22.42%

Watched Threads