Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Don't work have a monkey department to fix this sorta thing? :confused:

I'd remove the disk, (ie. don't go messing about trying to restore) load it as a secondary somewhere and then retrieve the data.

Then get a new laptop/disk...
    They do... but they're worked off their feet at the moment trying to prepare the IT network capacity for a building move. I might try them tomorrow though (I'm a bit worked off my feet myself).

Just as an update, I tried to repair it but again it failed to recognise the existence of a Windows installation. With that in mind my plan of action is to wait until I get home (end of next week), then firstly backup my external HDD to the family PC, then load windows onto that through my laptop with the Windows CD. Hopefully once I've done that I can use the external hard drive to access the C drive, retrieve what I can and reformat. However, I forsee two problems with this:

1) If it is in fact a virus and not a hardware failure, will it transfer to any HDD I connect to the laptop?

2) When loading windows will I not need a different product activation key, since the one i have is already registered to my drive that no longer works?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    They do... but they're worked off their feet at the moment trying to prepare the IT network capacity for a building move. I might try them tomorrow though (I'm a bit worked off my feet myself).

Just as an update, I tried to repair it but again it failed to recognise the existence of a Windows installation. With that in mind my plan of action is to wait until I get home (end of next week), then firstly backup my external HDD to the family PC, then load windows onto that through my laptop with the Windows CD. Hopefully once I've done that I can use the external hard drive to access the C drive, retrieve what I can and reformat. However, I forsee two problems with this:

1) If it is in fact a virus and not a hardware failure, will it transfer to any HDD I connect to the laptop?

2) When loading windows will I not need a different product activation key, since the one i have is already registered to my drive that no longer works?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
    Going on what this says, I'd suggest it's not an all consuming virus.
    1) A long as you have updated your antivirus, you should be fine.
    2) Theoretically, no. If you need to reactivate it after reinstalling, just phone up the 0800 number provided and the little Indian man/woman on the phone will just give you the code anyway if you explain whaty has happened.

ReputationRep:

Never attempted it before, but I'm pretty sure you can't install Windows on an external hard drive. You'll have to physically remove the laptop hard drive and then plug that into an external enclosure to get any data off of it.

And thanks for the rep!

ReputationRep:

It's extremely unlikely to be a virus. If you're gonna do it yourself, remove the drive, buy and external usb caddy for it, and connect it to the family PC like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
    Going on what this says, I'd suggest it's not an all consuming virus.
    1) A long as you have updated your antivirus, you should be fine.
    2) Theoretically, no. If you need to reactivate it after reinstalling, just phone up the 0800 number provided and the little Indian man/woman on the phone will just give you the code anyway if you explain whaty has happened.
    Cheers mate, they do seem to exactly match my symptoms, and my anti-virus (AVG) was up to date because I saw it update when the bloody thing crashed, although I suppose in theory it could not have had time to check everything.

As for the activation, that's interesting so random aside geeky question, if it doesn't ask for a code (in theory) how does it know that I'm not installing it on an entirely different computer as opposed to a different hard disk connected to the same computer?

(and ok, point taken about external hard drives - that's annoying, more work for me. Given that, and potential hardware failure and a 3 year old laptop in need of a memory update do you reckon I should just consider a new laptop/PC? :rolleyes: )

Oh one other thing. The article talks about fiddling with boot.ini, is it worth me trying that? though quite where it'll have gone too all of a sudden I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Because of the age of the lappy, you might want to consider replacing it... ebuyer have got some pretty decent cheapy lappys there at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    Wait a second, can't you just bash Fsomething (yes, I know that's really specific!) whilst the laptop is trying to boot, and then select the whole 'Return to the last good configuration' option, right? Or am I mistaken? Meh, it's been rather a long time since I last had problems with a Windows machine...which I guess is a good thing!

One question though: is there any way to know what the integrity of a hard disk is? I mean, are there any software programs out there, or something, that can give you an idea about the 'health' of your hard disk? It' just that I wouldn't mind testing what condition the 5+ year old 80GB Maxtor hard disk is in, in my computer, or the 1GB hard disk that we've been using in our first proper computer that we got in 1994 (and that my Dad still uses daily to play Bridge Baron on!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel Interceptor)
    Wait a second, can't you just bash Fsomething (yes, I know that's really specific!) whilst the laptop is trying to boot, and then select the whole 'Return to the last good configuration' option, right? Or am I mistaken? Meh, it's been rather a long time since I last had problems with a Windows machine...which I guess is a good thing!

One question though: is there any way to know what the integrity of a hard disk is? I mean, are there any software programs out there, or something, that can give you an idea about the 'health' of your hard disk? It' just that I wouldn't mind testing what condition the 5+ year old 80GB Maxtor hard disk is in, in my computer, or the 1GB hard disk that we've been using in our first proper computer that we got in 1994 (and that my Dad still uses daily to play Bridge Baron on!).
    Perhaps PieMaster or someone will be able to answer this... The simple answer for a modern HDD is run a SMART test on it, but can you run a utility such as SpeedFan to do a SMART test on an older hard drive? I'm under the impression that SMART isn't a universal feature on hard disks.
    Does a utility like SpeedFan require such a feature, or can it just run software based diagnostics?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.