Turn on thread page Beta

Best a-levels for investment banking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-bob)
    err i dont think. a lot of people get AAAA in those subs and DONT get into LSE...GCSEs Pstat etc etc are all veryimportant (GCSEs more so than anything else IMO) but yes it would help to get As in those over other subjects.
    I think you're wrong. I bet lots of people get straight As in those (or similar subjects) and don't get in. Also, I heard LSE have an 8A* minimum requirement at GCSE (for pure Economics). LSE would probably deny this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    I think you're wrong. I bet lots of people get straight As in those (or similar subjects) and don't get in. Also, I heard LSE have an 8A* minimum requirement at GCSE (for pure Economics). LSE would probably deny this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true.
    Thats what he's saying, I think you misread it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    None of my cousins got all A*'s at gcse's, one gt all A's, and the other had a few A*'s, why should they be to bothered with GCSE''s anyway?
    Because they dont interview and therefore the paper application is very important. They have to look at GCSEs to differentitate between the tons of people applying and therefore they are forced to look for very high GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    any one else over here who had done rubbish at gcse, and excellent at A2, ahd any problems with LSE?
    I got A's and A*'s at GCSE, all A's at A-level in Maths, Physics and History; I couldn't have get into LSE any less. I think GCSE's are definately the most important factor - assuming of course that you are predicted good A2 grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I like that system, I don't think GCSEs are the way of separating candidates, sure they're quite important, but I think interviews are the best way of seeing who's suitable. I think Oxbridge have got it right. They look at GCSEs but are more concerned about a good interview/personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I like that system, I don't think GCSEs are the way of separating candidates, sure they're quite important, but I think interviews are the best way of seeing who's suitable. I think Oxbridge have got it right. They look at GCSEs but are more concerned about a good interview/personal statement.
    I agree but dont think Oxbridge have got it perfectly right either. Its very difficult to always get the best candidates. I think they should introduce entrance tests depending on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    ok...so i am not gna gt in 2 lse , but i'm still gna wrk hard neva know, theres always warwick, maybe my cousins got in because theyre international, and pay way more than we do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk88)
    None of my cousins got all A*'s at gcse's, one gt all A's, and the other had a few A*'s, why should they be to bothered with GCSE''s anyway?
    because there are a **** load of people who want to do economics?

ReputationRep:
    i guess evry other person wants to do investment banking ns stuff like that nowadays, so economics is becoming popular, i guess i'll just have to wait and see, work hard, and if i'm lucky i'll get in, but i guess warwick is ok?

ReputationRep:
    All people I know (about 20) who got into LSE for straight econ this year had 10A*'s except for 1 who had 9, but he has dual-citizenship and thus could be considered as an international applicant. Some of my friends with 8/9 A*'s complained to LSE who said that they were rejected based on their GCSE grades. Basically, if you haven't got straight A*'s, apply for maths & econ or econ & phil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sng)
    All people I know (about 20) who got into LSE for straight econ this year had 10A*'s except for 1 who had 9, but he has dual-citizenship and thus could be considered as an international applicant. Some of my friends with 8/9 A*'s complained to LSE who said that they were rejected based on their GCSE grades. Basically, if you haven't got straight A*'s, apply for maths & econ or econ & phil.
    Assuming he used his British Citizenship to claim domicile and thus pay UK fees, I doubt it. They tend to like international applicants because they pay big fees, not because it increases diversity.

ReputationRep:
    Best A-Levels are:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics/Chemistry
    Economics
    German/French

An ideal selection would be: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and German.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kahler_potential)
    Assuming he used his British Citizenship to claim domicile and thus pay UK fees, I doubt it. They tend to like international applicants because they pay big fees, not because it increases diversity.
    He was actually considered (accidentally) as an international applicant, but he got into cambridge so he didn't need to worry about getting clarification from LSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gambino)
    Best A-Levels are:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics/Chemistry
    Economics
    German/French

An ideal selection would be: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and German.
    erm what has German got to do with anything? heck why not just list 7 A level subjects or even 9...thats an even more ideal selection :rolleyes:

most people will be doing 3 and you should consider that when giving advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    erm what has German got to do with anything? heck why not just list 7 A level subjects or even 9...thats an even more ideal selection :rolleyes:

most people will be doing 3 and you should consider that when giving advice.
    Well after English, German is the most spoken European language in finance/business. That selection would be ideal (i don't think 5 subjects is extreme), however some people may not be able to handle it. However if you can't handle doing 5 subjects at a-level, then quite frankly your probably not cut out for IB.

ReputationRep:
    Well after English, German is the most spoken European language in finance/business. That selection would be ideal (i don't think 5 subjects is extreme), however some people may not be able to handle it. However if you can't handle doing 5 subjects at a-level, then quite frankly your probably not cut out for IB.
    If banks went on this premise they wouldnt be hiring very many grads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon123)
    If banks went on this premise they wouldnt be hiring very many grads.
    Yes they would. I did 4 subjects, that doesn't mean i couldn't doing 5 subjects. I'm pretty sure most interns/analysts at BB's could handle doing those 5 subjects at a-level, what makes you think otherwise? I didn't say banks only accept candidates doing 5 subjects, i said if a candidate couldn't handle taking 5 subjects at a-level, then s/he is probably not cut out for IB.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they would. I did 4 subjects, that doesn't mean i couldn't doing 5 subjects. I'm pretty sure most interns/analysts at BB's could handle doing those 5 subjects at a-level, what makes you think otherwise? I didn't say banks only accept candidates doing 5 subjects, i said if a candidate couldn't handle taking 5 subjects at a-level, then s/he is probably not cut out for IB.
    Yes im not saying they couldnt im saying its very rare that they would have taken 5. So if recruiters were of the view that unless you took 5 you probably are not cut out for IB then they wouldnt be hiring many grads. My point is that there is simply no need to take 5 A Levels, either to get into IB or to go to a top university. Even Oxford only expects students to have taken 3 subjects to A2 level, only Cambridge expects 4.

ReputationRep:
    didn't say banks only accept candidates doing 5 subjects, i said if a candidate couldn't handle taking 5 subjects at a-level, then s/he is probably not cut out for IB.
    But you are, indirectly, because since banks do take people who don't do this many subjects - they WAS cut for IB...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma2k5)
    But you are, indirectly, because since banks do take people who don't do this many subjects - they WAS cut for IB...
    You still don't get it do you?

It doesn't matter how many subjects you do at A-level. That wasn't my point. My point was, if you can't handle taking 5 subjects at a-level, then your most certainly not cut out for IB.

Taking 3/4 subjects, does NOT mean you can't handle taking 5 subjects.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.