Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My friend who I used to work with wanted to emigrate to australia. You need a certain number of points in order to move there, he told me that ACCA was recognised and could count towards your points total whereas ACA couldn't. I don't know how true this is though, obviously coming from his research not mine.

Also, it means that there are lots of different variant papers for each countries legislation. That means that people in other countries can follow the same core syllabus as those in the UK but still have questions relevant to the accounting and tax legislation in their country. It also shifts the focus onto learning more general accounting concepts and techniques rather than just learning accounting/tax laws and rules, which I think you'll agree is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    The ACA vs ACCA debate is largely redundant now. Originally, the ACA qualification was considered far superior, but this is largely historic. The big 4 firms are chartered accountants, and this is the only reason why they choose to provide this qualification. Many of them actually hire more ACCAs than ACA, the only issue is that as they are firms of chartered accountants, you cannot become an equity member without the requisite qualifications.

That said, it is not too difficult to become chartered subsequent to completing the ACCA. See the ICAEW website for further info regarding this. You can gain exempiton from most of the exams, and I believe after 5 years practice (Subject to its relevance), you are able to switch by taking one conversion paper.

I honestly believe in 10 years time, people won't be asking this question. Both are very well regarded.

ReputationRep:
    as long as there's an ACA and an ACCA, people will always ask the question of which is better, IMO.

The day they unite (probably never) is the day people stop comparing and judging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walsall)
    The ACA vs ACCA debate is largely redundant now. Originally, the ACA qualification was considered far superior, but this is largely historic. The big 4 firms are chartered accountants, and this is the only reason why they choose to provide this qualification. Many of them actually hire more ACCAs than ACA, the only issue is that as they are firms of chartered accountants, you cannot become an equity member without the requisite qualifications.

That said, it is not too difficult to become chartered subsequent to completing the ACCA. See the ICAEW website for further info regarding this. You can gain exempiton from most of the exams, and I believe after 5 years practice (Subject to its relevance), you are able to switch by taking one conversion paper.

I honestly believe in 10 years time, people won't be asking this question. Both are very well regarded.
    The above post is factually incorrect, no big 4 firm hires more ACCAs than ACA/CAs.

Also re: moving to australia, ACA is better because ICAEW has reciprocal membership agreements with CAA (and also with chartered accountancy bodies in newzealand, canada, etc).

ACA remains the more prestigious qualification, as is evident by the entry requirements and salaries of trainees in firms. In all big 4 firms ACCA trainees are paid less and have a lower UCAS entry requirement than ACA/CA programmes.

Post qualifaction, most people don't care about the qualification, its much more about you as a person and your individual experience; however, if everything else is the same, the ACA/CA will be perceived as superior.

Personally I don't believe there is a difference between the two, if their experiences are the same.Unfortunately: ACCA's training requirements are relaxed; there is no case study; there are optional exams in the advanced stage; mostly the average quality of people doing it is slightly lower as the majority of the better candidates get into the big 4 ACA/CA programmes; more CEOs and FDs are ACA/CAs, which all adds up and enhances the perception that the average ACCA is inferior to an average ACA/CA.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.