Turn on thread page Beta

Being chatted up by strangers? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think it's okay to chat with & give your number to strangers at such places?
    yes
    69.00%
    no
    31.00%

ReputationRep:
    Id take it as a compliment as long as the guy wasnt a lot older than me. Some men need to know when to back off though have been in a couple of situations where it became quite scary for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you make conversation situationally, have a giggle, do small talk etc... and then simply ask "Hey, you're pretty cool. What's the best way to get in contact with you?" there's nothing wrong with that. It also gives the other person the option to give out their email address or myspace or whatever if they don't feel confident giving out their phone number.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds a bit weird but I have tried it on occasion, just for a laugh really and had nothing to lose. It has worked a few times too :eek:. It's not a matter of being desperate I just thought at the time that I had a fairly good chance, so why not go for it.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate being chatted up. The guy could be a genuinly nice person, but anyone attempting to chat me up automatically makes me think they are a sleezy weirdo. Id never give my number to anyone I didnt know anyway.

It may well be because I have a boyfriend and subconsciously expect the world to know. I do wear a ring on my finger though, so they either dont notice or dont care.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the situation and your gut feeling about the person. you can sometimes just instantly get a 'yes' vibe. no creepy people though. some judgement is needed

I met my first proper boyfriend outside a library. He saw me going in and waited for me outside, we were togther for over a year before it went tits up. so I guess, yeah its fine to meet ppl in random places

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'd be OK with it. Bookshop would be very cool

But you've got to approach them in the right mood, you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)
    Yeah I'd be OK with it. Bookshop would be very cool

But you've got to approach them in the right mood, you know.
    yeah bookshops would be ok.
    I'm not sure about supermarkets, but I've heard a lot of people meet there.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ok as long as you're not pushy or aggressive with it and 'I have a bf' means that or at the very least it 'means im not interested-sod off' it does not mean 'I'm a challenge'. There was a guy in tesco once who started talking to me/comlimenting me etc asking for my number I said no and 'I have a bf' he kept saying he wanted to get to know me better and trying to give me a lift back to my place-he was seriously creepy and wouldn't stop following me round the shop, I was so glad my mate was there and eventually rescued me cause that guy was persistant to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    no, it would be too freaky

ReputationRep:
    I wasnt so much "chatted up" or asked out, but I was in a garage shop one day, went to the counter and got the loveliest, sexiest smile in the world from the guy serving me. He was maybe 2-3 years older than me, but I'd had a horrible day and that just brightened it up completely

Would have been even nicer if he'd struck up a conversation though he did the next time I was in, we just never got past the "customer:assistant" relationship. You never know though, although he was so sexy I bet he's taken lol

ReputationRep:
    Once a guy gave his number instead, it was in a coffee shop.

ReputationRep:
    Omg this reminds me of when i was 18 I was in a bookshop, you know the ones in train stations, and this guy started following me IN THE BOOKSHOP and standing right next to me. So I was like arghh, I hate people I don't know invading personal space, and walked to another part of the bookshop and he followed me AGAIN!

So i left the bookshop and went and sat down waiting for my train, then who came and sat beside me, freaky bus station guy! And he tried to make conversation with me for ages and I know this sounds awful but he was really weird and creepy and I didn't want to talk to him. He started asking me when my bus got in and stuff (presumably so he could stalk me everyday) and then the bus actually came and I was like PHEW my bus is here! But then he asked me for my number and I was so blindsighted I stupidly gave it to him (i'm ashamed to admit I did that).

The bus hadn't actually left the terminal when he started texting me his life story, he literally sent me about 4 texts on the way home about his family, his life etc. despite me not replying. He kept texting and ringing me for days until I got a male friend to answer and say that he was my boyfriend and then creepy guy never rang again. Phew!

So, in short, be careful who you give your number to because if you are stupid like me you could end up with a total creep ringing you every minute of the day!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say so long as they're not a creep or something wheres the problem in it? You have to meet people somewhere, and its not like we're 5, we can talk to strangers.

ReputationRep:
    It happens all the time in pubs and clubs, why should a supermarket or a book store be any different. The only difference is in those places, you are both more likely to be sober.

ReputationRep:
    ^yeah, that's true. I wouldn't feel comfortable on being approached in a supermarket for some reason though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by falls_whisper)
    Yes. Unless it's creepy old men, or thirty-year olds who say they're twenty and won't take no for an answer.

But otherwise, go up, perhaps ask something to get the conversation going (ie. time? how to cook some vegetable - legitimate excuse! etc). My friend and I were always saying how nice boys our age never come up and it's always perverts
    If a guy isn't your age then he's a pervert?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenii)
    If a guy isn't your age then he's a pervert?
    No I meant if the guy's my age, then I'll be less wary of him and will probably be more interested. But so far, only perverts have come up and chatted, saying stuff really... well, pervy.

ReputationRep:
    If they seem like a nice guy, sure why not?

(Original post by bunthulhu)
    ...or just something other than 'lol ur fit number pls'.
    If it was a guy like that then no but I'd have no interest in seeing someone like that again anyway.

ReputationRep:
    not at all ment to be cocky here, but i do get this occasionally, mainly it has to be said whenever i travel by rail i chatted up and flirted with :p:

and it also happens in Burger King of all places, me wonders if there is a connection lol :p:

i dont mind it but when they make contact i think thats going a bit to far :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.