Turn on thread page Beta

Uni's opinion on A level results...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    There are one or two obscure (mostly vocational) degrees for which they will accept BBB. I'd be very surprised if you find lower than that.
    Hispanic Studies is BBB-BBC - it's not that obscure... Russian's BBC from a quick glance at the Modern Langs site..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucho22)
    Hispanic Studies is BBB-BBC - it's not that obscure... Russian's BBC from a quick glance at the Modern Langs site..
    Yeah but how many people apply for Russian? All Unis make lower offers on less popular subjects. The question was what the average requirements are, and they are AAA-AAB, or ABB for some subjects. The lesser offers are few and far between. Certainly for the very popular courses, ie Law, it's AAA pretty much 100% of the time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but how many people apply for Russian? All Unis make lower offers on less popular subjects. The question was what the average requirements are, and they are AAA-AAB, or ABB for some subjects. The lesser offers are few and far between. Certainly for the very popular courses, ie Law, it's AAA pretty much 100% of the time.
    I know.. but Law, Medicine, and perhaps English aren't really fair examples as they're AAA at any half decent uni - there must be a plethora of subjects in the ABB range I'm sure..

ReputationRep:
    My mate went to Sheffield. He got a BBB offer for Information management but they still let him in with BCE. His girflfriend that he met while he was there did Maths with something and got in with BDD. I visited him numerous times and only met 1 person out of his 40-50 university friends who had AAA. Anecdotal evidence I know but I think universities like Sheffield like to project the image of academic excellence but in reality are willing to lower those standards considerably.

Incidentally, this isnt a bad or unexpected thing. Despite what the papers tell you - yes 25% of all A level papers are awarded an A but the number of pupils getting AAA is still rediculously low (Nationally approx <5% I think).

Anyway, to OP - yes he can go university with those grades depending on what course he wants to study. Less popular areas (Im thinking Maths is probably his most unpopular degree subject that he has done at A level) have lower entrance requirements and these are further reduced in clearing. Taking a year out isnt a bad thing. Yeah, university is a laugh but its also about putting enough work to get a degree out of it in the end too. Also, its amazing how much you mature when you havent got your friends around you and your not following a herd.

ReputationRep:
    if he can;t be arsed to study even for A levels, i suggest he doesnt go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfection)
    My mate went to Sheffield. He got a BBB offer for Information management but they still let him in with BCE.
    Yeah they'll sometimes take much lower grades, as will pretty much all Unis. It's a lot more likely for a course like Information Management than a traditional academic subject like History, English, Law etc etc though.

ReputationRep:
    My mate went to Sheffield. He got a BBB offer for Information management but they still let him in with BCE. His girflfriend that he met while he was there did Maths with something and got in with BDD. I visited him numerous times and only met 1 person out of his 40-50 university friends who had AAA. Anecdotal evidence I know but I think universities like Sheffield like to project the image of academic excellence but in reality are willing to lower those standards considerably.

Incidentally, this isnt a bad or unexpected thing. Despite what the papers tell you - yes 25% of all A level papers are awarded an A but the number of pupils getting AAA is still rediculously low (Nationally approx <5% I think).

Anyway, to OP - yes he can go university with those grades depending on what course he wants to study. Less popular areas (Im thinking Maths is probably his most unpopular degree subject that he has done at A level) have lower entrance requirements and these are further reduced in clearing. Taking a year out isnt a bad thing. Yeah, university is a laugh but its also about putting enough work to get a degree out of it in the end too. Also, its amazing how much you mature when you havent got your friends around you and your not following a herd.

thats horrendous

ReputationRep:
    9.5% actually. If you think this is not many, then think about this: more people get 3 As or better nowadays than went through the A level system with the full range of grades (from AAA to UUU) about 25 to 30 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...147194,00.html

Students taking A-levels in the arts and humanities, including English and history, take the easy route to university, say academics in controversial new research which concludes that maths and science subjects are more difficult.
    Just four days before teenagers in England and Wales receive their results, studies showing that students of similar ability gain higher grades year on year in subjects such as English, sociology and history have sparked a huge row.
    That's lame. I hope they do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they'll sometimes take much lower grades, as will pretty much all Unis. It's a lot more likely for a course like Information Management than a traditional academic subject like History, English, Law etc etc though.
    True, of course. When my girlfriend went to university she was worried she wouldnt get her grades to do Law. I was (happily) surprised to see Sheffield had their Law course in clearing - I cant remember whether they wanted AAA or AAB though. Subjects like Law/English etc will always have high grade requirements - even through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    9.5% actually. If you think this is not many, then think about this: more people get 3 As or better nowadays than went through the A level system with the full range of grades (from AAA to UUU) about 25 to 30 years ago.
    No, it isnt that high. From The Guardian:

Steve Smith, vice-president of the vice-chancellors' group Universities UK, said the 3% of candidates who got three grade As was still an "exceptional achievement" despite over 25% of entries being awarded As this year.
    When my girlfriend went to university 3 years ago I remember reading in the Times on results day that the % acheiving 3 As was 2% - so a moderate rise to 3% seems reasonable.

Edit: Additionally, from the BBC

For, although the proportion of entries achieving an A grade has risen to 22.4% it is still rare for students to achieve A grades in all three of their subjects. [...] Indeed, only around 3% of 18 year-olds achieve three grade As. That represents just over 20,000 students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr-tom)
    My brother finished his A levels recently and got 2 D's (Biology, P.E) and a C (Maths) and is worried that his A levels are going to hold him back for whatever he chooses to do. He could have achieved A's and B's if he tried but wasn't enthusiastic about them at all. Would average universities dismiss him for his results and should he retake them all or just focus on the future instead?
    Help would be much appreciated, thanks.
    i got accepted into a course which is mostyl biology with a D
    and its not some lower end Uni either
    its royal holloway which was 12th in league tables last year however it hink its like 24th now :OP
    bur still good and league tables arent evertything, its stillal london uni

ReputationRep:

god yes, i spend much more time on biology and got a D
    didnlt hardly even bother with history or film except c/w and night b4 cramming (sociology doesnt have c/w) got a B in sociology and aaa for each part fo film despite screweing up (both a's)
    oh and i wasnt trying hard cus i reaslied it was a waste of time and wanted tofocus on ym A2's, i did try hard for those

however history is good, got E at AS, boosted to a B for A2 vby working hard
    imo
    sociology, media, film = easy peasy if you try slightly unless u screw up
    history = takes awhilt to get head round if didnt do GCSE, have to actualy do reading and hmwk preopely, if work hard will improve even if itakes till A3
    biology = can try hard and still fail, unrewarding, to do well have to put in 3 times as much effort which made me lose faith slightly

ReputationRep:

How can they even compare the abilities of people that do such radically different subjects.. that's such a retarded statement by the observer...

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it your brother's choices are this:
    With those grades he can go to a university that doesn't have a very good reputation. He might have a good time but he will come out with a lot of debt and a degree that's not great.

He can retake, in which case he might get to a better university - but if he doesn't have the motivation to work now will a more academically challenging university suit him? He has to ask himself how important the academic side and the reputation are.

He can go and get a job

Basically it depends where his priorities lie, which is something only he can decide. If I was in that situation I'd retake, but then I don't think it's worth getting into a lot of debt to go to a uni that's not very good

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.