Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    RS isn't like your usual 'studies' subjects! *is totally offended at this slur on the good character of RS* RS is well-respected and it's a wicked subject - extremely interesting, challenging, general aceness. You have three very well-respected subjects in Literature, History and RS. Business Studies is your only 'soft' option, and so long as you have at least 2 other traditional subjects at A2, you're fine, particularly if you're not applying to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    what about philosophy and gov and pol?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logical_zombie)
    what about philosophy and gov and pol?
    Government and Politics isn't blacklisted, so don't worry about that. I wouldn't rank it with English Lit/Economics/History/Classics/etc though.

Philosophy is well-respected. The well-respected subjects tend to be the traditional ones, and Philosophy alongside Maths, History, English, Classics and the Natural Sciences are age-old subjects. No Uni is going to doubt any of them.

Really, it's ok to have 2 soft subjects, so long as you have 2 "traditional" subjects you take to A2. The AS really doesn't matter too much, and the third A2 isn't going to rule you out from top Unis.

You could take History/English Lit/Media Studies/Communication Studies and still apply to top Unis, so long as you kept History and English Lit for A2. That third A2 could be a problem if someone picks up Eco or something though.

ReputationRep:
    Economics will have almost 0 maths at A2, percentages perhaps at most, and it will have almost no part to play in the exam.

English Lit, RS, History, Economics looks a far better combo.

ReputationRep:
    My mate said his sister is taking Religious Studies, Media Studies and Business Studies at A2.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It depends on the uni's your appying to be honest. If your applying to places like oxbridge, LSE etc, they may view certain subjects as softer, but if you back them up with stronger more traditional subjects, it shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I recently completed OCR business, and its not at all soft

ReputationRep:
    People say psychology's a bit soft, and yet I found it way harder than German, which is supposedly one of the hardest A-levels (incidently, anyone who says German is harder than French at A-level needs to be shot).

ReputationRep:
    just take what you are best at !!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would take what you enjoy, not necessarily what your the best at.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.