Turn on thread page Beta

different type of connections on router ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david cool)
    tanks guys , just wanted to make sure , I tink once i get the equipment it will be much easier. So I proby gonna get the modem and router (all in one) , most prob gonna get from ebuyer(I like there prices lol in my range). Well I am gonna setup up the connection and then get ISP to check my area for adsl. my bros have been talking about BB for ages but there lazy to network the computers. Well its up to me.

TANKS again
    Have you done the prelim check for ADSL on the BT website?

I would advise that you order the ADSL first - and then order the kit. Should you find that your line is unsuitable, then you might be a bit shafted if you've bought the stuff.

Ebuyer, good choice. They are really good - and dirt cheap too!

Don't forget to buy ADSL line filters too, because you'll need them. I forgot to get mine from Ebuyer (I think they sell them for 99p) and ended up paying £16 for one from PC World. Admittedly, it's quite fancy - but you don't need a fancy one at all. Grrrrrr :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    sometimes it's called Cat 5e though, they are silly noggins arent they. Just ask for ethernet cable, they know what you're on about

Plus get the dg834 Netgear router, tis sweet
    Or if you want to be tight arse, look at cheaper models: www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk - that's THE place to buy, they'll give you all you need for brilliant price!
    or cats 3,4 and 6 and then theres a choice of shielded or unshielded cable..

everything you wanted to know about cables, but were too afraid to ask...

ReputationRep:
    "Have you done the prelim check for ADSL on the BT website?"

yeah I have I got access to adsl BB in my area. tHanks but I only get BB from BT and the others (about 4 others in list I tink)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I would always run a software firewall - even if your router claims to have one. I have Norton System Works on one PC and a laptop, and the other PC had no firewall (just Sophos Antivirus). The one without a software firewall picked up a nasty Trojan virus! I had to delete most the files on the hard drive through Sophos. Luckily, it was my mom's work computer (and was due to be returned for a new one ).
    Yeah i use Zonealarm and it's done good service so far!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.