Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Some uni's have a transfer thing - basically, if you're really unhappy in your hall, you can apply for a transfer to another hall. But n.b. you will have to usually cough up some money for this, seeing as the hall that you're leaving might not be able to find another tenant, and hence will lose money. Also, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to get another place.

tbh, if you're thinking of not going to uni for something as ridiculous as your halls for FIRST year [even if your uni offers halls after first year, you can usually change] then i personally think that you shouldn't be going to uni at all.

it's just a room for gods sake.

p.s. i've just read in some of your previous posts that you're 6"6' - i don't know about your uni, but in bristol, you have to inform them if you're over a certain height [i think it's 6"5'] and you get some sort of special room to accommodate for your height

ReputationRep:
    ....that would only be a room with a double bed.

The only option you have is call up accommodation office and ask if anyone has dropped out or decline the offer of accommodation and wait untill someone srops out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
    ....that would only be a room with a double bed.

The only option you have is call up accommodation office and ask if anyone has dropped out or decline the offer of accommodation and wait untill someone srops out.
    Shouldn't these rooms go to those who have no uni accommodation at all though? It's only fair.

The OP can still put his name down though but might only be able to transfer after Christmas. I don't think he deserves too personally...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    Shouldn't these rooms go to those who have no uni accommodation at all though? It's only fair.
    Unfortunalty, thats not the way its works.

If someone drops out, then people who have requested a transfer get a new room first (mainly cos they might have a geniune reason like they get into fights with their housemates).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Unfortunalty, thats not the way its works.

If someone drops out, then people who have requested a transfer get a new room first (mainly cos they might have a geniune reason like they get into fights with their housemates).
    That is really unfair. I don't care myself because I'm not a first year and never really wanted to go in to halls but I think it should be the other way round. It is normally the person's fault for wanting to transfer as some people refuse to get along with the people they have to live with. Some people are childish and will try to run away from a messy flatmate or someone who doesnt like their taste in music rather than be an adult and either try to fix things theirselves or just get on with it. Obviously there are cases when people are geuinely really unhappy where they are but at least they arn't forced to spend a fortune on private accommodation or commuting every day. I personally loved living private though so I don't understand why people want to move in to halls so badly

ReputationRep:
    That is really unfair. I don't care myself because I'm not a first year and never really wanted to go in to halls but I think it should be the other way round. It is normally the person's fault for wanting to transfer as some people refuse to get along with the people they have to live with. Some people are childish and will try to run away from a messy flatmate or someone who doesnt like their taste in music rather than be an adult and either try to fix things theirselves or just get on with it. Obviously there are cases when people are geuinely really unhappy where they are but at least they arn't forced to spend a fortune on private accommodation or commuting every day. I personally loved living private though so I don't understand why people want to move in to halls so badly
    Oh course its unfair, let me tell you whats also unfair though.

Being told 10 days before I go back to College that I don't have a room that year. When I went to the office to ask why this is, they said they give pirioty to people who applying first time (which makes sense) and people who live over 21 miles away. I told them that I live 30 miles away and I knew someone that got a room that could easily get the bus in everyday since they lived quite near the place and only wanted a room because it was a hassle getting the bus.

And to top it all off, my best mate whos gone to the same College has gotten an en-suite room for her second year, and she lives only 5 minutes away from me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_hamster)
    I know it's been said lots but why the hell do you need an ensuite because you wear contacts? I wear contacts and go no where near a sink when putting them in.
    It's really unhygenic not to wash your hands before putting your contacts in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voleman)
    Is he going to catch an infection on the short jaunt from his room to a bathroom...?

ReputationRep:

He's not exactly got far to walk after washing his hands, he won't pick up that many germs.
    Also...is the OP too weak to carry his lens pot into the bathroom if it's not attached to his room?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Oh course its unfair, let me tell you whats also unfair though.

Being told 10 days before I go back to College that I don't have a room that year. When I went to the office to ask why this is, they said they give pirioty to people who applying first time (which makes sense) and people who live over 21 miles away. I told them that I live 30 miles away and I knew someone that got a room that could easily get the bus in everyday since they lived quite near the place and only wanted a room because it was a hassle getting the bus.

And to top it all off, my best mate whos gone to the same College has gotten an en-suite room for her second year, and she lives only 5 minutes away from me.
    The whole priority thing annoys me so much. I lived 40 minutes by train away from my uni, sorry I'm not sure how many miles, and I figured it would be unlikely for me to get uni accommodation as I am within easy commuting distance. I don't think I should get priority over anyone living further away but I do think if I had put my name on the waiting list for accommodation I should be given priority over someone who already has accommodation yet requests a transfer.

ReputationRep:
    The whole priority thing annoys me so much. I lived 40 minutes by train away from my uni, sorry I'm not sure how many miles, and I figured it would be unlikely for me to get uni accommodation as I am within easy commuting distance. I don't think I should get priority over anyone living further away but I do think if I had put my name on the waiting list for accommodation I should be given priority over someone who already has accommodation yet requests a transfer.
    Its just the way life works. They would get the new room and you would get their old one

ReputationRep:
    I do wash my hands before I put them in, it's basic hygine, where did I say I didn't? Don't assume things it's annoying.

ReputationRep:
    and i thought i had a problem becasue i cant get rid of my room!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.