Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    nichrome...
    these are rare cases. Those who don't succeed... they're hardly going to post their result and their disappointment on here.
    A miraculous example is not going to cloud over the impossibility and the hard-graft required for an 'average' maths student.

ReputationRep:
    I partly agree with Anthony, that people who come here on the Student Room are gonna talk about their success rather than failure, AS maths is too difficult for Intermediate students, however if they have the will and determination to suceed, give them the chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    I partly agree with Anthony, that people who come here on the Student Room are gonna talk about their success rather than failure, AS maths is too difficult for Intermediate students, however if they have the will and determination to suceed, give them the chance.
    How do you know the level of diffuculity for an A-level you have no experience of?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanSHowarth)
    How do you know the level of diffuculity got an A-level you have no experience of?:rolleyes:
    lol i found that so funny, but it is true.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by past papers, and a lesson of AS Level Maths on Taster Day. Most importantly common sense, If you were unable to cope with Higher Maths at GCSE, how can you cope with it AS and A2 level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    Judging by past papers, and a lesson of AS Level Maths on Taster Day. Most importantly common sense, If you were unable to cope with Higher Maths at GCSE, how can you cope with it AS and A2 level.
    But that is one day. Look at when you are in year 9. If you said to someone your going to be doing spearman's rank of co-effiency, most people would have gone that is too hard, but once you learnt it, it is so easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    A taster day of mathamatics hardly allows you to pass judgement upon the abilities of others arithmatic. Everybody is different! Maybe the OP had some strenuous circumstances which prevented them from taking higher maths.

What I mean to say is, you don't have any experience (from what I am aware) to dissuade this person from taking maths, if they so wish. In my opinion the OP would be better off, asking her new instituiton or previous maths teacher to tell her, wether or not, she has the capability to persue maths to a further level - in their PROFESIONAL opinion

ReputationRep:
    I'm not persuading the OP not to take Maths at AS level, all I'm saying is be realistic, If you get a D,E or a U, you better of taking an softer option. I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I did the Intermediate tier and achieved an C, therefore my college told me to retake it at higher tier, so I can grasp the basics, before I move onto AS level maths in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE5)
    I'm not persuading the OP not to take Maths at AS level, all I'm saying is be realistic, If you get a D,E or a U, you better of taking an softer option. I'm in a similar situation to the OP, I did the Intermediate tier and achieved an C, therefore my college told me to retake it at higher tier, so I can grasp the basics, before I move onto AS level maths in year 13.
    I wish my collge offerd that option:rolleyes:
    I done intermediate tier, and some how achieved a B (God only know's).

ReputationRep:
    agreed.
    If you guys want to falsely boost this candidate's hopes, it will be your fault if he/she flounders.
    I'm sorry, but a C at ANY subject at GCSE and then wishing to pursue that subject at A-level is really thoughtless.
    In AS level, his/her B grade is the 2nd highest grade. In GCSE, a C is the 4th highest grade. You have to ALSO bear in mind that the candidates in A level maths will be stronger than that of GCSE (i.e. much more able) rather than the whole country who has to do OBLIGATORY maths GCSE.
    There are many other subjects that will suit better - the expectation is quite frankly laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anthony)
    agreed.
    If you guys want to falsely boost this candidate's hopes, it will be your fault if he/she flounders.
    I'm sorry, but a C at ANY subject at GCSE and then wishing to pursue that subject at A-level is really thoughtless.
    In AS level, his/her B grade is the 2nd highest grade. In GCSE, a C is the 4th highest grade. You have to ALSO bear in mind that the candidates in A level maths will be stronger than that of GCSE (i.e. much more able) rather than the whole country who has to do OBLIGATORY maths GCSE.
    There are many other subjects that will suit better - the expectation is quite frankly laughable.
    :rolleyes: Maybe so, if we are following the general trend. But, what about the exceptions to the rule? If the OP, loves maths and is prepared to give it 110%, who are we to disuade her aspirations? It's been done before and been achieved. Providing they understand it will be an imense struggle, there is no need to inform her it's imposible; as this would be very false.

ReputationRep:
    agreed.

2 boys in my chem class who got A's at gcse chemistry got the same grade as a boy who got a C at gcse chemistry..and yes i do know that chemistry is different from maths but its still quite a hard subject
    my point is that yes gcse grades do matter-but its up to the OP and how hard he works.-im not giving you false hope -im just saying its up to how good you work and can grasp the topics in maths

ReputationRep:
    she may well give 150%.
    Maths GCSE is NOT challenging. Many refer to it as 'common sense.'
    A level Maths is one of the hardest A-levels you can choose. If you have no natural flair whatsoever, im sorry OP, but a D will be fortunate.
    Im a maths tutor, and many get A's/B's at Maths GCSE and then are wondering how and why they got an E or a U.
    Jordan, im not one to dent someone's aspiration as that will be a means of bullying but the candidate truly has no leg to stand on.
    Just think of the difference in knowledge with a 'C' grade GCSE student and an 'A' grade. Now with that gap in mind (many holes in their knowledge), try and attempt one of the hardest A levels around.
    I'm sorry if i sound harsh but such words are the only way to open your eyes and rule out your potential choice

ReputationRep:
    she may well give 150%.
    A level Maths is one of the hardest A-levels you can choose. If you have no natural flair whatsoever, im sorry OP, but a D will be fortunate.
    Im a maths tutor, and many get A's/B's at Maths GCSE and then are wondering how and why they got an E or a U.
    Jordan, im not one to dent someone's aspiration as that will be a means of bullying but the candidate truly has no leg to stand on.
    Just think of the difference in knowledge with a 'C' grade GCSE student and an 'A' grade. Now with that gap in mind (many holes in their knowledge), try and attempt one of the hardest A levels around.
    I'm sorry if i sound harsh but such words are the only way to open your eyes and rule out your potential choice
    I personaly know people who took intermediate tier at gcse, and achieved a B. They then went on to A levels and took mathamatics (because they enjoyed it). Explain to me how they achieved A's, if the subject is so hard, if you will? I'd put it down to sheer will-power and determination, to prove sceptics such as yourself wrong, and in turn achieve their full potential.

ReputationRep:
    they got a B at intermediate - not a C.
    Stop trying to prove examples against my case - this is not some battling match where your trying to score cheap points.
    We all know the rigours of this uphill challenge

ReputationRep:
    they got a B at intermediate - not a C.
    Stop trying to prove examples against my case - this is not some battling match where your trying to score cheap points.
    We all know the rigours of this uphill challenge
    Yes they got a B. This candidate has a C, what's preventing them from achieving a C if not a B at A level? Cheap points, ha. Because I am making my point? So what, it's a challange, as I have said before and will say again, it's from from impossible

ReputationRep:
    its from from impossible?
    You may well be making a point but at least make it understandable.
    If they got a C in Geography/English/History then i wont say its impossible to get a B at A level, but im sorry, with mathematics, it really is.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by nabz12)
    some say do it others are saying your gonna find it hard ?? dont know what to do
    Take the advice of both sides. Do it, but you're gonna find it hard. By the way, the AS-A2 jump is much bigger than the GCSE-AS jump.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    she may well give 150%.
    So what, the OP just got a C in common sense? Aren't you lovely.

Erm. Personally I found French harder than maths and further maths put together. It's a completely individual thing.

ReputationRep:
    It really is not. You overestimate how difficult AS maths is. C1, that is a small extension of GCSE maths. Ok, so the candidate will have come from an intermediate maths background, if he reads up a bit on higher tier maths, C1 should not be a problem. If he chooses to take D1 maths, which doesn't even require GCSE maths, that would be a very easy A. 2/3rds of an AS level is pretty damn easy. The only area he would possibly struggle is Core 2, but with the right tuition, dedication and hard work it would be perfectly achievable to get a B/A overall.

Edit: this is directed at anthony, not GE, to save any confusion :p:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.