The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
integral_neo
still is useful though... :biggrin:

Well, I did self-taught D1, which is why I agree with you. :biggrin: No one else was doing it with me though. But I can see why universities generally prefer students who've done a lot of Pure. Those people can normally pick up D1-style stuff quicker than D1 students can pick up Pure.
Reply 21
integral_neo
game theory comes under macroeconomics (the fundamental topic in economics) :rolleyes:

anyway ur rep didnt count because ur own reputation is negative! so try again when u have positive rep (btw thanx for appreciation, and it took me 2 hours scanning all those papers and uploading them) :wink:

I know about game theory. its discussed in "A beautiful mind" by Sylvia Nasar. but as i have said - i will study this at uni. but to really get to grips with being able to manipulate number in economics you need to understand the priciples of mathematics ( PURE MATHS) - IM just saying that i personally think its unwise to miss out on perhaps doing less pure maths in a maths a-level as the knowledge from it, I THINK is very important. by the way...i have 218 posts?
Reply 22
faa
OP
clare_m
have u done a-level economics? i did maths a-level and was told by them not to bother applying as i didnt have economics a-level. with the large number of applicants i would have to assume that if lots of people offer a-level economics AND maths, they may be more likely to go for them. having said that, im gonna be studying economics at exeter uni, and on their website it shows the course content. the optional maths content for economics that they offer is basically a-level pure maths, and then applying it to economics. so there would be no PROBLEM in you having not done a-level pure maths, as you go over it in the course, but they may WANT you to have it - cos their annoying like that!

I have A Level Business Studies and Double-Award AVCE ICT, which i will be gettingthis august- and fingers crossed i should get AAA. Im then going to go to an independent college (private school) and study Maths, Economics and one more A level mayb (recommendations welcome.....)
Reply 23
Squishy
Those people can normally pick up D1-style stuff quicker than D1 students can pick up Pure.

yep totally agree. :tongue:
Reply 24
Squishy
Well, I did self-taught D1, which is why I agree with you. :biggrin: No one else was doing it with me though. But I can see why universities generally prefer students who've done a lot of Pure. Those people can normally pick up D1-style stuff quicker than D1 students can pick up Pure.

i have done P1-P6 :biggrin:
Reply 25
clare_m
IM just saying that i personally think its unwise to miss out on perhaps doing less pure maths in a maths a-level as the knowledge from it, I THINK is very important. by the way...i have 218 posts?

I dislike Pure and Applied equally, so it doesn't bother me. :biggrin: (says the person doing a lot of maths in his degree).

Your rep is negative, so you can't give it out...who've you been pissing off?
Reply 26
faa
I have A Level Business Studies and Double-Award AVCE ICT, which i will be gettingthis august- and fingers crossed i should get AAA. Im then going to go to an independent college (private school) and study Maths, Economics and one more A level mayb (recommendations welcome.....)

hey hey i have alevel business studies and AVCE ICT as well (got an A last year didnt carry on with the second year for double award though

what board did u do for each i did AQA business and Edexcel for ICT
Reply 27
integral_neo
Squishy ur a star dont know y i felt like sayin it lol :tongue:

Am I shining a torch into your face? :wink:
Reply 28
faa

how long will u be studying the a-levels for? how old will u be when u apply - what is oxford/cambridge's view on people applying being older than 18? some uni's can be a bit negative about it....
very wise to be doing maths and economics, and i would seriously conisder doing another a-level. i cant remember where i read it, but some universities dislike applicants having done economics and business a-levels. any help? everything i say seems to be wrong in other peoples eyes - im just trying to be objective to prepare you for all the negative views that admissions tutors may have, especially at highly competitive oxbridge :frown:
Reply 29
faa
OP
integral_neo
hey hey i have alevel business studies and AVCE ICT as well (got an A last year didnt carry on with the second year for double award though

what board did u do for each i did AQA business and Edexcel for ICT

Business Studies= AQA, AVCE Dbl ICT= OCR, but they all same syllabus apprently. But im pretty annoyed cos no universities really accept it seriously- yet its quite challenging. All my mates were struggling with the 6unit award (though they had one more subject than me to study for) but i found it rather easy.

My teacher marked my units before sending off, and i had 992, which i needed 960 for an AA, so i cant imagine being downmarked that much.

I needed 150/210 on my last two Bus Studies units to get an A, but i also retook 2 and 4, so i could find some more points in them.
Reply 30
Squishy
I dislike Pure and Applied equally, so it doesn't bother me. :biggrin: (says the person doing a lot of maths in his degree).

Your rep is negative, so you can't give it out...who've you been pissing off?

only about 4 people - all from males. i think people dislike that i have views that are opposite to their own...im distraught about it :tongue: :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 31
faa
OP
clare_m
how long will u be studying the a-levels for? how old will u be when u apply - what is oxford/cambridge's view on people applying being older than 18? some uni's can be a bit negative about it....
very wise to be doing maths and economics, and i would seriously conisder doing another a-level. i cant remember where i read it, but some universities dislike applicants having done economics and business a-levels. any help? everything i say seems to be wrong in other peoples eyes - im just trying to be objective to prepare you for all the negative views that admissions tutors may have, especially at highly competitive oxbridge :frown:

Ive never heard of trouble applying if you're over 18. Oxford (maybe cambridge) has a section on mature students. But although ive just finished yr 13, i wont be 19 until next july.
Im doing the maths, economics and subject x in a year. Should be ok because i can read up on economics as home as well, plus class sizes will be about 5 or 6 and we will be doing about 48 hrs a week at school or summin (but it'll be worth it). Im thinking of doing physics as my 3rd A Level.

Should be a problem with having business studies, because its only an extra- aslong as i still have 3 A levels, which i will be hopefully having 6 at this rate!! hehe
Reply 32
faa
Business Studies= AQA, AVCE Dbl ICT= OCR, but they all same syllabus apprently. But im pretty annoyed cos no universities really accept it seriously- yet its quite challenging. All my mates were struggling with the 6unit award (though they had one more subject than me to study for) but i found it rather easy.

My teacher marked my units before sending off, and i had 992, which i needed 960 for an AA, so i cant imagine being downmarked that much.

I needed 150/210 on my last two Bus Studies units to get an A, but i also retook 2 and 4, so i could find some more points in them.

Well i got 554/600 for AVCE ICT last year...and 248/300 for business AS in first year and (something which i rather regret) i took all A2 modules in june 2004 so i dont know what i will get...

did u do coursework or the exam option?
Reply 33
clare_m
only about 4 people - all from males. i think people dislike that i have views that are opposite to their own...im distraught about it :tongue: :smile: :biggrin:

Well, I repped you. Probably won't be worth much though. :smile:

Mature students aren't a problem at Oxbridge...quite a few people have taken gap years anyway, so not everyone is 18 when they enter.
Reply 34
faa
Ive never heard of trouble applying if you're over 18. Oxford (maybe cambridge) has a section on mature students. But although ive just finished yr 13, i wont be 19 until next july.
Im doing the maths, economics and subject x in a year. Should be ok because i can read up on economics as home as well, plus class sizes will be about 5 or 6 and we will be doing about 48 hrs a week at school or summin (but it'll be worth it). Im thinking of doing physics as my 3rd A Level.

ur not gonna be considered as mature the mature age is 21...and do physics alevel its will help as ur doin maths...or perhaps psychology/english
Reply 35
faa

u'd be surprised how much they mark down. in my AQA business coursework my two teachers gave me 96/100 ( they told me i couldnt improve it so christ knows why i didnt get 100%!) - when i got the result back for it in march it had been marked down and i was given 66/100 . i had gone from a very top A to a middle B. I was very pissed off with my school. ive since changed a few pages - e.g. made the conclusion longer - but my school still sticks by their own mark for it ( personally i think it was bollocks, but there ) so i have no idea now what im gonna get for it after it has been re-submitted!! :mad:
Reply 36
faa
OP
integral_neo
Well i got 554/600 for AVCE ICT last year...and 248/300 for business AS in first year and (something which i rather regret) i took all A2 modules in june 2004 so i dont know what i will get...

did u do coursework or the exam option?

lol, i told my teacher i was gonna do cwk, and then i cudnt be asked!! lol

At AS i got 77/90 66/90 and 115/120 = 258

Unit 4 (Jan) 74/90 (But i was off of school at the time with flu!!! lol, so i was proud of that mark!! hehe)
Reply 37
clare_m
u'd be surprised how much they mark down. in my AQA business coursework my two teachers gave me 96/100 ( they told me i couldnt improve it so christ knows why i didnt get 100%!) - when i got the result back for it in march it had been marked down and i was given 66/100 . i had gone from a very top A to a middle B. I was very pissed off with my school. ive since changed a few pages - e.g. made the conclusion longer - but my school still sticks by their own mark for it ( personally i think it was bollocks, but there ) so i have no idea now what im gonna get for it after it has been re-submitted!! :mad:

Was it vocational? if not vocational courses are different and u dont get get marked drastically, if u did then ur the unlucky one
faa
By the way, i dont understand something on the oxford website:

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/mema.shtml

It clearly states that the annual itake is 6, but Percentage of successful applications over last three years: 53%!!!!!!!! How can it be so high for a course that only takes 6??!! Does only 11 people apply per year or something>>!!

MEM is a tiny course, one of the smallest Oxford offer; the reason it's not popular is that people are often drawn toward either Material Science or Economics and Management, MEM is seen as a bit of a weak option.

Also, MEM is basically Materials WITH Economics and management, you do materials in the First year, and a bit of E+M isn the second and third; for intents and proposes it's a materials course with some outside options; thus if you don't enjoy materials (physics and Chemistry), there's not much point in applying for it.
Do you reckon oxford/cambridge (havent decided yet) and LSE wouldnt mind me doing A Level statistics instead of Mathematics, basically u do units S1-S6 instead of P1-P4, + (two additional units) ?? Afterall this is an economics degree......

You do Pure in Economics, also stats is "easier" to teach. If you so pure Statistics the likelihood of being accepted will reduce.
Reply 39
faa
OP
integral_neo
Was it vocational? if not vocational courses are different and u dont get get marked drastically, if u did then ur the unlucky one

u wudnt believe how good our bus studies teachers were- they reeeaaally cared about us. On our unit 4's we took in jan, we all found it like OH MY GOD HARD!!!! and we got 17 A's and two B's!!1

But our teachers really undermarked us, they said better they did- than the examiners, so every exam we did, we thought it'd b like really hard and cos the examiner is nowhere near as strict as our teachers- we did well

Latest

Trending

Trending