Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for 2 courses at the same uni watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    i applied to 2 courses at the same uni and got accepted by them both (they were very similar courses obviously)

and now one is my firm, the other is my insurance - even though they both ask for the same grades :rolleyes:
    what is the point of that? why have an insurance with equal grades?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    i dont really know!! i didn't see the harm in putting the 2nd course as insurance, and as it wasn't disallowed, i thought 'what the hell' - and perhaps, if i miss the grades i need, it might make me look like i really really want to go there (which i do!!) and they might take me on anyway!

i dunno!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    From what I've read, it seems like it's a bad idea to apply for two different courses at the same university - but is it more acceptable if the courses are similar? For example: 'biomedical science' and 'medical biochemistry' - or will this harm the chances of getting into that uni/course?
    I applied to UMIST for both Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. Apparently, neither department knew about the other.

I applied for three courses at the same uni, both my first and second choice courses were there but my insurance course had higher grades than my first. I know stoopid but i was told it was better to put both down so i did...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it should harm your chances as different departments are probably not allowed to give out such information to other departments?

I do remember though, when I was at Nottingham for my interview for pharmacy I was talking to this lad and he'd also applied to do medicine there and the first question they asked him was why he wanted to do pharmacy not something like medicine. Everyone else I spoke to just got asked why they wanted to do pharmacy ... makes you wonder even though there was probably nothing to it.

ReputationRep:
    On my UCAS form, I put down:

Computer Science (Essex)
    Computer Science with E-commerce (Essex)
    Business Management (Essex)
    English Literature (Essex)
    English Language (Essex)
    English Language with Literature (Essex

I was rejected for all of them, so using UCAS Extra I applied for:

Film and Literature (Essex)

I then got an offer which I met.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies, makes for interesting reading.

(Original post by -Emmz-)
    I do remember though, when I was at Nottingham for my interview for pharmacy I was talking to this lad and he'd also applied to do medicine there and the first question they asked him was why he wanted to do pharmacy not something like medicine. Everyone else I spoke to just got asked why they wanted to do pharmacy ... makes you wonder even though there was probably nothing to it.
    I was gonna appply for both pharmacy and neuroscience at Nottingham, but I decided that they aren't similar enough to be overlooked if spotted...

You'd think that universities would like the fact that you're using up two options for their university (although it doesnt show dedication to a particular course, it shows dedication to that uni/getting a degree)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    On my UCAS form, I put down:

Computer Science (Essex)
    Computer Science with E-commerce (Essex)
    Business Management (Essex)
    English Literature (Essex)
    English Language (Essex)
    English Language with Literature (Essex

I was rejected for all of them, so using UCAS Extra I applied for:

Film and Literature (Essex)

I then got an offer which I met.
    How did you write a PS tha fit all of them?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Interesting... anyone have experience of doing this at the LSE?

ReputationRep:
    hey,
    i applied for two courses at liverpool uni, both psychology courses, and i now have one as my firm and one as my insurance. i really wanna go there! so yea, its no problem doing that, although as someone said, they dont seem to know i have two offers there, i get sent two of every bit of information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    Not particularly well, seemingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    I was gonna appply for both pharmacy and neuroscience at Nottingham, but I decided that they aren't similar enough to be overlooked if spotted...

You'd think that universities would like the fact that you're using up two options for their university (although it doesnt show dedication to a particular course, it shows dedication to that uni/getting a degree)
    Yeah it was probably nothing really, maybe they could tell he'd applied to medicine because of the nature of any work experience he had. Nottingham are just generally very nosey I think *LoL*

I'm sure you'd be fine doing that, the only bit that really overlaps is the pharmacology in both courses but I doubt they'd be loiking.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for three courses at Manchester and got offers on all 3 of them, Economics (BA), Economics + Business Studies, International Business Finance and Economics (what im going to do) - they definately do know that you have applied for more than course at their uni but i dont think it affects your chances

ReputationRep:
    I applied to two courses at Nottingham as I realy wanted to go there. They were however similar courses, but handled by two different admissions departments (American Studies and Politcs & American Studies) I did this for two reasons. First of all, both courses appealed to me, and secondly, I knew that by doing this I would boost the chances of getting accepted by at least one of the courses at my first choice uni. I did indeed get accepted by just American studies and not the other so I'm very glad I decided to make that descission!

Basicaly what I'm trying to say is that if you have your heart set on a particular university, it's a great idea to apply to two subjects, but generaly they MUST be similar and also located in different deaprtments (and therefore handled by different admissions tutors) so that they are unable to get the idea that you are applying because of the uni and not the course, therefore rejecting you!

ReputationRep:
    I think if the courses are similar or related in some way, then applying to two at the same uni shouldn't be a problem.

But applying for completely different things at the same uni is going to make them wonder what the hell you're up to!!

ReputationRep:
    How about applying to Warwick for both PPE (handled by philosophy dept I think) and Economics or LSE for Economics and Government and Economics (handled by the politics department I think)?

ReputationRep:
    This probably has an obvious answer, but I'll ask anyway....

Do universities know which other uni's you've applied too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    This probably has an obvious answer, but I'll ask anyway....

Do universities know which other uni's you've applied too?

no. They used to, but they don't anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    With great difficulty. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    no. They used to, but they don't anymore.
    Thanks

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.