paneity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think queens has an unbelievably ugly accommodation block built in the sixties, if you are persuaded by such trivial matters.

I've only heard good things about Caius, but never visited myself.

Stuff the lot of them, come to Girton (indoor heated swimming pool, yay!)
Thallium
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Andrew_2006)
I'm not sure about 'good' conversation. It's just creates fertile ground for moaners!
Compared to a few years ago when the food was arguably bad it has improved ten fold. If anything the hall system is what makes Caius a very close college where everyone has lots of close friends which they see all the time. Further it makes sure you get out of your room in exam term and chill for an hour or so each day. Of course though, i'm biased...
Franc Vouloir
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by epitome)
Andrew, the ELAT at Oxford isn't going to harm your chances at all. Because it's still in the initial stages they kind of just watch the correlation between all the other elements of your application and the ELAT - only after it proves its usefulness will it be taken entirely seriously.
I was under this impression, but when I spoke to a member of the Oxford English faculty at some 'HE fair' he seemed to think that it would be taken into account this year in order to determine which applicants to 'de-select' pre-interview.

Also, from the ELAT website:

The awarders will set three thresholds, to establish four bands of achievement. The top band will identify those candidates most likely to be called for interview (unless other indicators strongly suggest otherwise); the second band will indicate candidates who should probably be invited, provided other information supports this; the third band will contain candidates who may not be called unless there is other convincing evidence to suggest they ought to be interviewed. The fourth band identifies those students who are less likely to be invited, unless other factors outweigh the evidence of the test.
Personally, I'm actually quite glad of it. I can write infinitely better than I can talk, and if I do well then I won't have to worry about a test at interview. On the other hand, if I don't (which is a distinct possibility) then I'll be able to forget Oxford and move on without having to go through the rigmarole of the interview process.

That said, I can see how it might not appeal to some people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed