Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always offer to pay. If the girls really insistent i might go halves but i still feel guilty. I cant help it, as a guy i just feel like i should pay even though its a bit illogical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *The One)
    I usually offer to pay, but to be honest I'm actually really hoping she offers, after which I'll continue to insist, until giving in with inner jubilation. I bet it's like this with a lot of guys, unless they actually fancy the girl. I'll let you in on a secret, I use it as a test sometimes to see if girls are users, if they let me pay 3 times without offering, they're gone.lol.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'd always insist on paying my half. Or if the guy was not going to budge, i'd insit on paying for the bill the next time around. I've heard about some girls who'll go after guys because they think they can get a free ride, and won't even take their purse on a night out, and i'd like to distance myself from that kind of behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    If it's an actual date then I think the guy should pay, although I say this partly because the last person I dated kept suggesting we go to places out of my price range. It's unfair to expect someone to pay for something they can't afford when they'd likely have been just as happy going somewhere cheaper. If we were both students and in similar financial situation I would offer to pay half, although they should still pay the first time. If we're just friends and it's not a date, I would ALWAYS pay half.

ReputationRep:
    I'll offer to pay my half then when he says no rather than argueing about it etc I'll say "ok you pay for this and I'll pay for the drinks at *insert bar name here*" and it's an excuse to go out for a few drinks after the meal if it's not already planned

Don't know if someone has mentioned this before but it's usually the person who asks to meet up for lunch who should pay, however, it's probably best to pay half, why should he have to pay for yours!?!?

ReputationRep:
    If he's just a friend, unless he's like, way richer than you, then you should definitely offer to pay. Be quite insistent, but don't go over the top; if he really wants to pay then let him.

I usually split the costs, or he'll buy dinner and I'll get drinks or something. But if it's a special occasion then it's nice to be spoiled. I would, obviously do the same for him, except a)he is going to have considerably more money than me for the next 2 years and b)there hasn't been a suitable opportunity yet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 31, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.