Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got 100% in C1 and CPT2 ( those were my only As ) .All the rest were very low Bs, 2 Ds and 1 E. Im resitting All of history, economics, C2, S1 and CPT1.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would concentrate on the D's and E's in January, and if you need to, the B's in June.

ReputationRep:
    When you say 9 in Jan and 8 in June, are you saying retakes? I only had 15 AS modules across 5 subjects - say how many AS and how many A2 seperately, as the A2's are harder undoubtedly - except in maths

ReputationRep:
    In June 2007 i took 12 AS Modules

Did crap now...

9 AS modules to retake in january

Then...

8 A2 Modules in June
    3 Maths A2 C3 C4 M1
    2 History A2
    3 Economics A2

ReputationRep:
    Got it - and here's where I'll offer some advice about maths. I did maths and further maths, and didn't do so well in M1, M2 and M3 in June 2006, so decided to resit them all in January with C4 which weren't too great neither (and a politics unit, doing a Law A2 unit aswell). Problem was they all came really close to eachother and sitting them was a disaster, because it was hard to cover all the mechanics content to a good level in the short time. But, as I'd paid for the resits I decided to divide my time between the 3, consiquently not doing amazingly in any, and needing to resit M2 and M3 again in the summer. My friend, on the other hand, decided to focus on just 2 and did well in them, so only needed to retake M3 but didn't bother..

What I'm trying to get at is sometimes you'll need to throw one module to do better in another.

Also, if you do any AS resits in the summer (for maths anyway) they're like 2 weeks ahead of your other exams so you can dedicate time to them there and then. Just think about it before you sign up for 9 at once. I agree that you should just go for modules that you did worst on, as you clearly found the others easier and it won't take so much to go over them in the summer with A2's.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If anyones wondering for resits, and times, this is the timetable for AQA January exams, it will be similar timings for all exam boards (check out the exam board your with for confirmation) http://www.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_...-GCE-JAN08.PDF

It may help when planning which modules to resit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamOW)
    Got it - and here's where I'll offer some advice about maths. I did maths and further maths, and didn't do so well in M1, M2 and M3 in June 2006, so decided to resit them all in January with C4 which weren't too great neither (and a politics unit, doing a Law A2 unit aswell). Problem was they all came really close to eachother and sitting them was a disaster, because it was hard to cover all the mechanics content to a good level in the short time. But, as I'd paid for the resits I decided to divide my time between the 3, consiquently not doing amazingly in any, and needing to resit M2 and M3 again in the summer. My friend, on the other hand, decided to focus on just 2 and did well in them, so only needed to retake M3 but didn't bother..

What I'm trying to get at is sometimes you'll need to throw one module to do better in another.

Also, if you do any AS resits in the summer (for maths anyway) they're like 2 weeks ahead of your other exams so you can dedicate time to them there and then. Just think about it before you sign up for 9 at once. I agree that you should just go for modules that you did worst on, as you clearly found the others easier and it won't take so much to go over them in the summer with A2's.
    good advice.

I may throw C2 as i got 71/100 it wasnt my worst module ever. S1 i got an E and got 41/100 taking my score to 212

Computing im throwing 2 modules out and just doing the one i got a D on.

Economics and History is where i have to do all 6 modules. In each paper i never even got an A.
    In history it was BDB
    In economics it was BBD

I have to take all 3 in each subject to even get a decent A 250+

Hopefully starting revision now instead of in Christmas would give me an advantage

ReputationRep:
    well what im concerned about is if i am doing 4 retakes in jan ( i think i will have to retake s1, c2,chem paper1 and2 ) will it effect my A2 revision as in will i be able to get good A2's if i start revising for them from Jan onward? i know its early but i need to get out of my habbit of revising the week before.

i got BAD AS's CCCD (in bio textiles maths and chemistry) but i did deserve it coz i never revised hard enough however my GCSE are quiet decent so im hoping to get predicted good since all the C's were a 2 or 3 marks off a B.

oh well BRING ON THE RETAKES!!

ReputationRep:
    u got to balance both. Ive planned that when i get back from school i give 4 hours to A2 and 2 Hours to AS. In my school free periods i do AS revision.

ReputationRep:
    thanks steve i don't know why but it had acctually never occured to me that i could revise both at the same time, this is probably coz i'm desperate to do better in January.

btw i'm totally hijacking you 4hr 2 hr idea genius!

ReputationRep:
    no probs

Also go here http://www.modernisationonline.org.u...le/search.aspx
    for a list of the dates for ur June and Jan 2008 exams. Make a timetable for these exams so u can see in advanced how long u got.

its gonna be a long hard Sep 2007 to June 2008

ReputationRep:
    It always sounds so much easier to plan to work in advance than actually do it - to throw out the night before cramming! I did noets for M1 M2 and half of M3 like months before the january exams, but then there's all the pressure to get the personal statements done and if you're not driven enough complacency will take over! It's difficult to revise for a whole year..

And honestly, if you're trying to revise for so much at one instance you'll have a breakdown! There is PLENTY enough time between January and June to revise for A2's - I say concentrate on what's right infront of you, that way you can totally know your S1 etc.

There's another problem and it's thinking who you'll be up against. What people take AS modules in January? Either really bright kids or retake junkies - and that's your competition. If you do an AS in June you're up against most of the country. Like I did S1 in Jan (not as a retake, that's when we did it for our school) and though I thought I did really well I just got like 80 or 81 or something. Sure, that was one of the lowest - but my further maths group were really smart and noone got over 91. Then we did S2 in the summer and I got 98! Think of the bell curve model and the distribution - where will you be when up against other people?

That in mind, it's good you've accepted the throw out modules! I was booked for a C3 resit, but had got 79 on it already. I just did it so asto get an etra 3/4 marks if I didn't pull up enough in other resits. I decided to not revise for it and got 79 again - but it didn't matter.

I also tried to start revising a month or two in advance of A2's, making all my notes - but then I just stopped and :\.. Keep your eye on the goal!

---

Any of you know about +ve rep? I think I deserve some

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamOW)
    It always sounds so much easier to plan to work in advance than actually do it - to throw out the night before cramming! I did noets for M1 M2 and half of M3 like months before the january exams, but then there's all the pressure to get the personal statements done and if you're not driven enough complacency will take over! It's difficult to revise for a whole year..

And honestly, if you're trying to revise for so much at one instance you'll have a breakdown! There is PLENTY enough time between January and June to revise for A2's - I say concentrate on what's right infront of you, that way you can totally know your S1 etc.

There's another problem and it's thinking who you'll be up against. What people take AS modules in January? Either really bright kids or retake junkies - and that's your competition. If you do an AS in June you're up against most of the country. Like I did S1 in Jan (not as a retake, that's when we did it for our school) and though I thought I did really well I just got like 80 or 81 or something. Sure, that was one of the lowest - but my further maths group were really smart and noone got over 91. Then we did S2 in the summer and I got 98! Think of the bell curve model and the distribution - where will you be when up against other people?

That in mind, it's good you've accepted the throw out modules! I was booked for a C3 resit, but had got 79 on it already. I just did it so asto get an etra 3/4 marks if I didn't pull up enough in other resits. I decided to not revise for it and got 79 again - but it didn't matter.

I also tried to start revising a month or two in advance of A2's, making all my notes - but then I just stopped and :\.. Keep your eye on the goal!

---

Im not applying to uni this year so a final personal statement can stay out till Summer 07. Ill add to it in the gap year ive planned.

U are right in saying that the boundaries may be higher in January but thats a risk im willing to take. I really dont want to be taking more than the 8 modules in June cos i can concentrate fully on A2 which i cannot retake cos it looks bad regardless if its synoptic.

Thats what im worried about..stopping once u get the ball rolling. I hope it wont happen cos ive never actually revised for an exam properly ( like more than a month before hand ). Its totally new to me :eek:

hmm what is that positive rep u speak of :rolleyes:
    Ill give ya some later cos i already gave mines out today. thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Decline your AS grades and work on convincing your teachers to give you good predictions, then obviously make sure you really put the work in for your January resits to imrpvoe your grades. Unis will know you didn't do very well and are doing resits from the fact that you declined your grades, but you did well at GCSE, so good predictions, a good personal statement and a good reference could save you, whereas AS grades of BBCC, although pretty good, may be a reason for the likes of LSE to reject you. It does sound like you'll have a huge workload in January, so do make sure you only resit the modules where you think it's really necessary, but it's probably doable if you put the work in. If you don't get any offers you want this year, you can reapply post A-level when you'll already have your grades and thus be in a stronger position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Decline your AS grades and work on convincing your teachers to give you good predictions, then obviously make sure you really put the work in for your January resits to imrpvoe your grades. Unis will know you didn't do very well and are doing resits from the fact that you declined your grades, but you did well at GCSE, so good predictions, a good personal statement and a good reference could save you, whereas AS grades of BBCC, although pretty good, may be a reason for the likes of LSE to reject you. It does sound like you'll have a huge workload in January, so do make sure you only resit the modules where you think it's really necessary, but it's probably doable if you put the work in. If you don't get any offers you want this year, you can reapply post A-level when you'll already have your grades and thus be in a stronger position.
    But i dont wanna go to just any Uni. I wanna go for a top one like LSE, Warwick, UCL, Bristol, Notts. I think it wouldnt be worth even applying cos there will be loads of people there with 4As, 3A prediction, good PS etc.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I would apply anyway - universities can be funny about their offers sometime!

But ensure you apply to some where your predictions/current grades definately meet the offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kirsty~)
    I would apply anyway - universities can be funny about their offers sometime!

But ensure you apply to some where your predictions/current grades definitely meet the offer.
    :ditto: You might as well give it a go this year because you've got nothing to lose. If you decline your AS grades, unis will only see your GCSE grades, which are good, and your predicted grades, which you can hopefully convince your teachers to make higher than your AS grades. Your personal statement is also a chance to win them over. You should probably apply to at least 2 middle unis, ie still good but not top like the ones you mentioned, to be on the safe side. If you wouldn't mind taking a gap year, you've still got the option to decline any offers you get this year and reapply post A-level to better unis if you end up with good enough grades.

ReputationRep:
    fair play thats sound advice. Its just getting a BCC original prediction to a AAA prediction is impossible :eek:

Will try tho
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Its only impossible if you think it is. Think positive.

ReputationRep:
    i really cant bare the thought of facing my econ teacher. I reckon i was the only one who got a C in his class. Even a bloke who got BDDD got a B in econ.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.