Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Even though i'm not a vegetarian, i like to have a few vegetarian meals and week, and the beans you get now are so varied and cheap (30p a can, even less for kidney beans), and you still get your protein. I would definately try something with beans. Uni is a great time to experiment with cooking.

I would just use trial and error.

ReputationRep:
    mushrooms did me very well. i love them raw in salads, or fried in some fry-light, or put into pasta bakes. They are pretty cheap but really fill you up. I also ate lots of simple things like cheese on nice bread, which is pretty cheap but makes a nice change from heavy meals.

if you eat fish, the best meal in the world is apparently fish fingers and peas. seriously, it is apparently one of the cheapest and most balanced meals that you can have. one money-minded and extremely clever man who went to uni with my dad lived on this meal every day for two years.. dont think i could do that but just an idea..

also, i tried not to think of fruit as just a dessert food. lots of days i would make a big fruit salad and have it with three ryvitas for lunch

and soup, too. soup is good.

also, make sure that you get lots of little freezer pots (they sell heaps of them in ikea for about £3) because then you can freeze whatever you have left at the end of a meal in the perfect size of pot, and not take up all the room in the freezer (ours was tiny!)

havefun at uni!
    xXx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyeholesinapaperbag)
    What kinds of things do you substitute meat for?
    Don't try to cook a vegetarian meal by replacing the meat in a meaty meal with Quorn -- you can make much more interesting food than that! Meat dishes usually have the meat as the focus of the meal, and any vegetables are just boring extras. Vegetarian dishes aim to make the vegetables the interesting part.

There's loads of recipes online, or you could look for a good cookbook (I have this one but I'm not sure if it's expensive/cheap to cook the meals really). I'm pretty good at cooking, so I usually forget to follow the recipe half way through and it doesn't really matter. And I never have half the ingredients either, but I just guess and use something I do have instead.

ReputationRep:
    Vegetable stir fry (use frozen vegetables as well as fresh) with tofu (or stir in egg for cheaper option). In Japanesse restaurants they give out free sachets of soy sauce, so take one of them and add to stir fry.

I am not a veggie, but that dish is delicious!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.