Refused student account by halifax..? Watch

~Kirsty~
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if you've been refused at those 2, i can't imagine anyone else taking you on. Natwest rarely reject people in my opinion. Did they tell you why?
Shin Chan
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
natwest couldnt tell me a reason they say they didnt know why, i was only offered the current account

hailfax i did online, they didnt give a reason, only that could only get their basic current account aswell.

i dont know why those 2 rejected me, ive been working since i was sixteen, never paid a bill late, i always use my maestro, i havent had any loans, i live with my parents. ive only been overdrawn twice and one of the time was for £9 =/
jennyng2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i had no problem with halifax, i have no credit rating but got given 1k overdraft to start (though i was pushy) and have been told will get 2K when my 1st/2nd loan goes into account, apparently most people get the full amount by the end of the year. i have also been approved for a credit card (an adult one not a student one), saying that i have had an account with halifax for 4 years and have a full time job...i think it just depends on the circumstances, but i guess they will check more as the overdraft is bigger, good luck to those who dont get it..maybe try natwest x
jennyng2000
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
shin chan it may be worth checking your credit rating, u have to pay for it but it may be money worth spent if there is a mistake or something on it
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you can get a free trial for a credit check - just make sure you cancel your trial before they charge. Seems a bit weird.
Shin Chan
Report 11 years ago
thanks - i just signed up for one..can't wait to see whats on there LOL.

but i might just upgrade the account i have now with HSBC to student, if they accept me that is..but im not happy about all the stuff iv been reading about them, but HSBC is my last hope.
Chrish2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I GOT IN

Phoned them up and she went back into my account. The underwriters had got back to them and said yes. Anyway she said to pop into my local branch, deposit £100 and ask about the overdraft
Kimbolina
Report 11 years ago
ARGGGGHHHH! Don't go with natwest, I've just been charged £56.00 for having a £3 overdraft, they gave me NO warning d***s!
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How long were you overdrawn for?
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Kimbolina)
ARGGGGHHHH! Don't go with natwest, I've just been charged £56.00 for having a £3 overdraft, they gave me NO warning d***s!
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. A full schedule of fees has always been available on their web site, and was almost certainly provided to you at the outset.

You were charged for going over your authorised overdraft limit. I find it highly unlikely that you were charged £56.00 for being £3 overdrawn, given that student accounts have well over a thousand pounds of interest free overdraft.

The charges may well be disproportionate, but in reality it's still at least partially your fault.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Plus its unarranged borrowing - the banks can't just keep giving you money for free! they charge about £35 ish plus interest, but the interest isn't that high, which is why i asked how long you were overdrawn for.....
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 11 years ago
I really dont understand why soo many students are trying to open student accounts at Halifax and are getting rejected........baffles me

I had no trouble at all but maybe 21years of being with them and having 3 accounts might of gone in my favour!!!!
Jaz3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The more you try to set up accounts at different banks, the more checks you'll have on your credit report, which apparently looks bad. Halifax rejected me, credit score was too low. Natwest are more student friendly I think. Halifax must be for rich kids, who have credit cards & perfect checks from childhood.
johnnn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Way to bump a 4 year old thread!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (228)
78.35%
No (63)
21.65%

Watched Threads