Turn on thread page Beta

RnB v's Rock which is better...? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Necrophag: So true. Go back to the 80's and rap was something brilliant. It was an art, and there was so little of this 'ghetto' ideology in the music.

One of the big pulls of metal music is the ideals behind it. It's generally very upbeat, very melodic and has a very strong message in it - be proud of who you are. While some might say the same about another type of music, there's nothing quite so inspiring as having a thousand people singing, for example, Helloween's 'Eagle Fly Free' in unison

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Rock without contest. RnB hasn't actually involved rythmn and blues for years. It's mostly just pretty crap these days.
    Agreed. I don't generally like to dismiss a genre just like that but the modern take on RnB is terrible. Some of the worst music around.

ReputationRep:
    RnB without doubt. Who's listens to rock in clubs, or when they're tired, or when they're all emotional?? Face it, RnB is way more versatile.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's way more ****e, i'll give you that.

ReputationRep:
    Rock. I don't like RnB at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mensan1)
    RnB without doubt. Who's listens to rock in clubs, or when they're tired, or when they're all emotional?? Face it, RnB is way more versatile.
    *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exopaladin)
    From this choice? Rock. By preference: Metal. Except Death Metal.

What?!?! That's the best type of metal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapenCyber)
    What?!?! That's the best type of metal!
    Nonono... I'd rate Black over Death. Power over that and then old school heavy over that. There is nothing on Earth that sounds better than George Lynch shredding the **** outta 'Cry of the Gypsy'

See now, it's all a matter of preferance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooksLikeJesus)
    Nonono... I'd rate Black over Death. Power over that and then old school heavy over that. There is nothing on Earth that sounds better than George Lynch shredding the **** outta 'Cry of the Gypsy'

See now, it's all a matter of preferance
    No way, black lacks a certain "chunkiness" to it, maybe just when on record though....

And I rather be beaten up by the drumming in Decapitated then listen to Lynch.

Preference? What's that?
    At least we can agree that R&B is rubbish though.

ReputationRep:
    rock is a waste of space.hurts my hears 2 much tings goin on at once
    rnb is just the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xthatgurlx)
    2 much tings goin on at once
    Someone please tell me that's a joke account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mensan1)
    versatile? Every time i put tv on and it's very little now that i do as uk tv is boring as hell, i see same old rnb, rap etc, They all sound alike. well at least look alike, they are all clones of each other, Look at metal, you have so many genres, all playing different styles. Why i love it

Top genres of metal i like is

Death metal
    Melodic Death metal
    Deathcore
    Metalcore
    Heavy metal (like black label society etc)

I'm no fan of rap, rnb etc but i agree in the 80's, early 90's rap was very different to todays stuff. Same with metal, it dominated charts, dominated music altogether then it lost it's ways... then you had the crappy hybrid stuff like nu metal/rap metal stuff which is just mtv music :P But now metal is fighting back and bringing out some killer stuff. I can name so many metal bands that been around longer then any rap artist, rnb group yet probably sold less albums then a rap artist. One band, Cannibal corpse [death metal] been around since late 80's and still going very strong now. Let me see.. 50 cent. yes top of my head, he was a one hit wonder, where is he now? I know you have loads more better then 50 cent but how many years will they last?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapenCyber)
    Someone please tell me that's a joke account.
    no its not ajoke

wots ur problem?

ReputationRep:
    I take it you like the 'phagist then.

Muhammed is my personal god, he is the only real man in metal with short hair.

EDIT: Addressed to Necrophag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Rock without contest. RnB hasn't actually involved rythmn and blues for years. It's mostly just pretty crap these days.
    hear hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xthatgurlx)
    rock is a waste of space.hurts my hears 2 much tings goin on at once
    rnb is just the best
    :laugh:

Bit of a simpleton it would appear. Not all rock is loud and thrashing you know.

Rock, by far for me, though some older R'n'B stuff is totally acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Necrophag)
    I know you have loads more better then 50 cent but how many years will they last?
    You could argue that with a lot of the trend metal bands out there, like Trivium, BfmV, etc. No one will know them in a few years (can't stand Trivium or bfmv, although I do like Avenged Sevenfold's last album) - hence why I call it trend metal. They're boring, mass-produced crap now, giving into fame way too easily.

Most rock/metal doesn't have 'too much going on' at all. It's full of melody and spirit that you wouldn't find in anything else. Too much going on would be something like 'Death' or 'Emperor' - mainly the real brutal stuff, which is so techinical and crazy it's hard to get into.

Most, if not all rnb these days is simple mass-produced bullpoo - designed to sell with the ghetto style ideology that has spread through the US/UK's younger generations. Sorry to be stereotypical, but it just seems to be black guys in bathtubs talking about how they shot this guy and *******ed his *****... I'll stick with my power metal - singing about glory and power, being true to yourself - thankya

Of course we're all affected by our pre-existing views, which create bias - stopping us from looking at other ideas with an open mind... shame really, but that's what being human is

ReputationRep:
    Why has metal been confused with rock?

Rock is far better.

ReputationRep:
    who cares, Squarepusher kicks everyones arse. he IS music.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.