pretty basic Q regarding gaining muscle Watch

focusST
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Veil of Maya)
There is absolutely no point in splitting a routine yet. At all. Stick to the basics to get the best results, that means a full body workout 3 times a week or a upperbody/lower body split 3/4 times a week.

You MUST train your legs. If you don't squat in some form you dont have a workout, I find it hilarious when you get people who have huge upperbodies walking around on tiny legs. Get a gym with a power cage and get squatting! Legs = more growth hormone = more buff.

Try Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It is THE best program for beginners.

Stick to compound movements, there is no point in isolating at least for another couple of years.
i agree with you until this point. 2 years!!!! Nora Batty!!
id say a month or 2 maximum. seriously there is only so much definition and belly you can get using compounds, sure your bis get stronger and bigger but chins ups are no comparision to 3 good sets of strict form to failure curls for building a good belly (thats a muscle belly btw)
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by focusST)
i agree with you until this point. 2 years!!!! Nora Batty!!
id say a month or 2 maximum. seriously there is only so much definition and belly you can get using compounds, sure your bis get stronger and bigger but chins ups are no comparision to 3 good sets of strict form to failure curls for building a good belly (thats a muscle belly btw)
What?

Theres no point in doing curls unless you can close grip chinup 100lbs +, its much less functional. How many beginner programs last a month? Go with starting strength, get deadlift and squat up to decent figures first.

Curls are so overrated its not even funny. Once starting strength is completed something like Bill Starr 5x5 program would be good, again utilising very little isolation work. If you really enjoy curls then fine do them, there are much better movements out there though.

Theres no point in isolation until serious weight can be moved, how many people can deadlift 400 in 2 months? 2 years maybe.
focusST
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
its not about the weight you lift, its about the work on the muscle. he is trying to build muscle not strength so why would he need to deadlift 400? i cant even deadlift 400. I deadlift 180 ish and that suits me just fine, i also have it at the end of my program so that i dont have to lift a huge amount to fatigue the muscles.

There is only so much a chin up can do for the size of the biceps and you will hit that plateau well before 2 years. not forgetting triceps, anterior, medial and posterior delts. calfs, traps, and quads, hams and lats do well with a good isolation thrasing once in a while.

I agree, dont start with it, but suggesting to stay away for 2 years????
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
its not about the weight you lift, its about the work on the muscle. he is trying to build muscle not strength so why would he need to deadlift 400? i cant even deadlift 400. I deadlift 180 ish and that suits me just fine, i also have it at the end of my program so that i dont have to lift a huge amount to fatigue the muscles.

There is only so much a chin up can do for the size of the biceps and you will hit that plateau well before 2 years. not forgetting triceps, anterior, medial and posterior delts. calfs, traps, and quads, hams and lats do well with a good isolation thrasing once in a while.

I agree, dont start with it, but suggesting to stay away for 2 years????
Ehh, youll look like you can lift big weights when you can.

Im not being *****y btw, I dont mean to start an argument.

Im an athlete, I train for function, I guess my perspective is screwed.
focusST
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there you have it, you have more knowledge that is sport specific and probably can point out similar stuff to other people where thier goal is power or strength and i will probably learn something, but when i read 2 years it flicked a switch in my brain that made me go into a rant type mode. i dont want to argue either.

peace.
LOST
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Many pro-BB'ers started of as strength trainers. 'nuff said
meathead1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Personally I dont think there is any need for anyone to do isolations, but most people (myself included) do them just for some variation.

In my personal opinion if a person did only:

Squats
Deadlifts
Barbell rows
Pullups
Bench press
Shoulder press

for a few non failure sets 2-3x a week they could get just as big as someone doing a load of isolations too.

It would get very boring very fast though.
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh it would for those who have a weak will, those exercises are all i've been doing 3 days a week for the past year. Theres not much excitement in 10kg side laterals compared with deadlifting.
stimmo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for all the replies gives me alot to think about. Just thought I'd say I'm not a complete beginner - I've been training on/off for a few months, however my only real results have been in my arms, and my abs (with a little chest development). I am going for size rather than strength. I always believed that muscle groups should be trained no more than once per week (besides abs) to avoid overtraining?
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by stimmo)
Thanks for all the replies gives me alot to think about. Just thought I'd say I'm not a complete beginner - I've been training on/off for a few months, however my only real results have been in my arms, and my abs (with a little chest development). I am going for size rather than strength. I always believed that muscle groups should be trained no more than once per week (besides abs) to avoid overtraining?
Eh, I always make an effort to train legs twice a week.

If not more if you count olympic lifts.

Front squat one day, back squat a few days later.
meef cheese
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
unless you are on roids, 2lb per gram is too much, it means what it says. ive never comsumed that much and im fairly big.
It's not really as simple as that. 2lb per gram might not be too much. If you are in a high-carb environment, then you don't need as much protein to grow, as carbs are protein-sparing. Sort of roughly, if your BMR is 2000 cals and you eat 2000 cals of carbs alone every day, then 1lb/g might be fine as all of your protein will be used for growth and repair, rather than any being used as energy which they might be if you only eat 1800 cals of non-protein foods every day. On the other hand, if you have a low-carb diet, you will need more protein.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (31)
25%
No (93)
75%

Watched Threads