Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Tony Adams, almost finished it. Very good read

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but book publishers dont really care how old they are and what they've achieved. In the case of Rooney, he was thrust onto the national stage at 16, played for England at that same age so they'd be keen for him to do a book as the majority of people would get it.

I definitely agree that autobiographies are something you do towards end of your career, but money talks. Someone throws a six figure sum for a book thats going to include your very short career so far, most people accept.

What I didnt like was Gerrard's/Lampard's book and the timing of them. Released after a poor World Cup, I remember Barton ripped into them for it.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard's book was fantastic.

Was a great read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    Wayne Rooney
    This is what i don't understand. What exactly could his Book contain? I grew up in an estate, then played for everton. Then i fell out with moyes and moved to United where i won the CC. (UPto when the book was published)

At least Gerrard has some stories and honours to talk about, although his book wasn't that good either.

ReputationRep:
    More has happened to Rooney at 21 than half the footballers at 35.
    He has 1 major honour to his name, thats it.

ReputationRep:
    More has happened to Rooney at 21 than half the footballers at 35.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, screw Harry Potter.. I wanna read about Rooney and his pissing and moaning about how england underachieve and... like... what? winning the preimiership? that's it.

Okay his goal against Newcastle was immense but seriously... how about just a 10minute DVD instead?

ReputationRep:
    Id rather read Gerrards book than Harry Potter :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Id rather read Gerrards book than Harry Potter :rolleyes:
    Haha, I see you like good storytelling then... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If I want a good story, I'll read a book for adults, not some child fantasy.

ReputationRep:
    If I want a good story, I'll read a book for adults, not some child fantasy.
    Child fantasy? If that's not the biggest form of ignorance i've seen so far today I don't know what's beat it. Clearly you haven't read the later books, thus have no opinion on the matter. "Adult" haha, let me guess, you'd consider a book by Ronaldo quite exciting? How he gels his hair and the art of diving? Get over yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty picking about football autobiographies I read. Obv. being a gooner has led me to read Paul Merson and Tony Adams' AB'S. Both were exceptionally well written, and released at poignant times of each players lives. Both talked about how they handled the pressure of being a full-time footballer as well as their addictions. Whilst Adams' book showed the drinking culture of football which has now, thank god, died out at the top level, Merson's addictions were far worse...with heavy gambling meaning he has little money today. I'm glad to see Adams has set up his clinics for pro sports players, it shows that support is always at hand in todays world. Back then, which wasn't too long ago, there didn't seem to be alot of help easily at hand.

Hartson's book is also fairly similar to the above - more addictions and gambling problems. Obv. it is more gritty reading about troubled players as there is more stories to tell. Not many people would want to read about Gary Lineker would they? I believe players should have the decency to wait until they have retired before releasing autobiographies. The Lampard/Gerrard books have undoubtedly caused friction at national level, and this is not good for the game.

Best manager AB has got to be Brian Clough. Quite a long read, but well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Rolling with the 6.57 Crew: The True Story of Pompey's Legendary Football Fans. By Cass Pennant and Rob Silvester.

Even if they are fools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loadmalz)
    Child fantasy? If that's not the biggest form of ignorance i've seen so far today I don't know what's beat it. Clearly you haven't read the later books, thus have no opinion on the matter. "Adult" haha, let me guess, you'd consider a book by Ronaldo quite exciting? How he gels his hair and the art of diving? Get over yourself.
    I know 14 year olds that have rejected the later books for them being too young. I've nothing against other people reading Harry Potter, there has to be something for people with different reading levels.

ReputationRep:
    I know 14 year olds that have rejected the later books for them being too young. I've nothing against other people reading Harry Potter, there has to be something for people with different reading levels.
    Well that's their opinion, millions of people throughout the world disagree. Considering people of all ages buy the books. Your gonna' take the opinion of your 14 year old friends over alot of other people?

...they're a bit immature, no?

ReputationRep:
    A 14 year old too immature for Harry Potter? Whatever next :laugh: When I read a fictional book, I want something at least a little challenging. Not Profesh's level but at least something aimed at adults.

You're swipes at Ronaldo for gelling his hair and diving (when half of the Liverpool players do both) show your maturity. Enjoy your books.

ReputationRep:
    A 14 year old too immature for Harry Potter? Whatever next :laugh: When I read a fictional book, I want something at least a little challenging. Not Profesh's level but at least something aimed at adults.

You're swipes at Ronaldo for gelling his hair and diving (when half of the Liverpool players do both) show your maturity. Enjoy your books.
    Shows my maturity? Clearly i'm alot more mature than some people, like yourself and your '14 year old friends' if you automatically dismiss a book because a lot of kids read it. Don't critique a book til you've not read them all, eh? It's very arrogant.

So i'm guessing by your lack of examples, you don't actually read, eh? Unless you consider 'Chris Ryan' & 'Andy McNabb'; 'adult books'. Seriously, try reading it, the last few are aimed at adults :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Guys, this is all a bit silly. Now kindly stop aiming such "critiques" at one another and towards the books themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loadmalz)
    Shows my maturity? Clearly i'm alot more mature than some people, like yourself and your '14 year old friends' if you automatically dismiss a book because a lot of kids read it. Don't critique a book til you've not read them all, eh? It's very arrogant.

So i'm guessing by your lack of examples, you don't actually read, eh? Unless you consider 'Chris Ryan' & 'Andy McNabb'; 'adult books'. Seriously, try reading it, the last few are aimed at adults :yy:
    Its my mates brother actually, I dont discriminate friends on their age. I dismissed the book after reading a section and realising there are more challenging and better books on the market. If you find me a person that has read every book ever created, I'll ask their opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Have to say Id rather read Rooney's book than Harry Potter

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 11, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.