Tattoos! Watch

Last Summer's Dream
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't understand the 'meaning tattoo' ideology AT ALL. I can understand why someone would want a tattoo because they think it looks nice, it is effectively body art. I just think that 99.9% of the time they look tacky. But, getting a tattoo to symolise something meaningful. Why do you need a tattoo for that? You're 80 years old. You look down at your hip. You see the tattoo. Ohhh I got that done because my father died. Wow, that means so much more now I have it symbolically stamped on my hip. It's just ridiculous. Like Victoria Beckham having the same amount of stars on her hip as she has children. Those emotions are inside, you don't need a tattoo done to show it. If it means that much, you're never going to forget are you. It's obviously some big attention seeking thing. Ooo what does that tattoo mean in english? Ohh I got it done because my best friend died. Get your sob story out.

If you must have a tattoo wait until you're 18. If you're getting something permanetly put on your body, you want it done at a reputable place where they'll ID you.
guitargirl03
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would wait until you're 18 just to give yourself enough time to think about whether you really want a tattoo.

I have 5 tattoos: peace sign on the inside of my wrist, star on my left foot, bird with a rainbow on my right ankle, music note on the bottom of my back, lyric on my right hip.

I designed all of my tattoos as I don't believe in choosing one from a book, I'd rather have tattoos which have a meaning behind them.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
I don't understand the 'meaning tattoo' ideology AT ALL. I can understand why someone would want a tattoo because they think it looks nice, it is effectively body art. I just think that 99.9% of the time they look tacky. But, getting a tattoo to symolise something meaningful. Why do you need a tattoo for that? You're 80 years old. You look down at your hip. You see the tattoo. Ohhh I got that done because my father died. Wow, that means so much more now I have it symbolically stamped on my hip. It's just ridiculous. Like Victoria Beckham having the same amount of stars on her hip as she has children. Those emotions are inside, you don't need a tattoo done to show it. If it means that much, you're never going to forget are you. It's obviously some big attention seeking thing. Ooo what does that tattoo mean in english? Ohh I got it done because my best friend died. Get your sob story out.
It's not an attention thing, in many cases, at all. Many people have tattoos which they hide anyway, therefore many people can't see them anyway. The feelings may be inside, but tattoos can just emphasise a particular period/ event in a person's life which they may want to visually remember.
Last Summer's Dream
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But, so much happens in your life surely you'll end up looking like the illustrated mum? I can understand that people get them because they think they look cool. But, you wouldn't dye your hair, or buy a top to symbolise a moment in your life. You don't need something visual to do that, it's all still inside. Hmm. I just don't understand it. It seems so silly to me.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But, so much happens in your life surely you'll end up looking like the illustrated mum? I can understand that people get them because they think they look cool. But, you wouldn't dye your hair, or buy a top to symbolise a moment in your life. You don't need something visual to do that, it's all still inside. Hmm. I just don't understand it. It seems so silly to me.
Many people choose key moments in their life. It seems silly to me that people just have tattoos to "look cool" as that's when people usually regret having the tattoo in the first place. I suppose people just have to accept people's reasons behind getting a tattoo.
Last Summer's Dream
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do accept them. I just think it's silly. And, I always find that there is snobbery by people with meaning tattoos about people who get tattoos because they look nice. Which I think is ill founded.
guitargirl03
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do accept them. I just think it's silly. And, I always find that there is snobbery by people with meaning tattoos about people who get tattoos because they look nice. Which I think is ill founded.
I think you've just highlighted snobbery in your posts (I don't know if you have any tattoos, I'm thinking that you probably don't) but you're allowed to make comments such as having tattoos with meanings are silly, yet when someone makes a comment about people just having tattoos because they look "cool", they get called a snob... :rolleyes:
Last Summer's Dream
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well no, I only piped in because someone said that getting tattoos because they look nice is silly, when they've got tattoos because 'they mean something'. Which imo is just as bad, if not worse.

I think all tattoos look silly and tacky, tbh.
Napally
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually, if you've read most of the posts correctly, we've been saying that if you're going to get a tattoo then make sure it's something you really want. Don't just get a flash design; get something that has meaning to it or that is a unique design.

I don't think getting a tattoo is silly. It'd be hypocritical of me to say that, being a tattooed person myself. However, getting a tattoo without having any real thought put into it or just because you've turned 18 and can is, in my opinion, quite silly. Don't do something to your body you'll only regret a few years down the line.
hunnybunny7789
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think tattoo's are fine aslong as they are nt to big. i am 18 and i have 2 tattoos i have a butterfly at the top of my right arm and i have a small heart with angel wings on my left ankle. and im thinkin of gettin 4 small stars at the top of my bk 1 to represent each of my family.
i dunt think gettin a tattoo of yur boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husbands name is a very good thing to do tattoos are for life nt jus for christmas hehehe:P
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

If you must have a tattoo wait until you're 18. If you're getting something permanetly put on your body, you want it done at a reputable place where they'll ID you.
Wow. I just want to say thankyou. I've FINALLY found someone out there who's more judgmental than me!!!!!! *Round of applause*

In all seriousness, people have tattoos because of a little thing called 'free will' and people are individuals. We like certain things and we dislike certain things. Who are we to judge people for the choices they make? and ESPECIALLY choices that don't involve us.
You're entitled to your opinions, but to be so judgmental about people who have different tastes to you, is quite frankly, sad and disappointing, especially in this day and age.

Each to their own? eh?
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Napally)
Seriously though, it isn't a "tramp stamp" (delightful term, that!). I wanted to get them done in a place where they could be hidden from people if I didn't want them to be seen and whenever I see them in a mirror, I smile.
no - lower back. Have you not seen people walking around with low jeans, high tops and a tattoo acroos their lower back? It's not a good look imo...
noaksey
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
no - lower back. Have you not seen people walking around with low jeans, high tops and a tattoo acroos their lower back? It's not a good look imo...
Sometimes seeing the one on t'lower back on women gets a bit boring - and theres generic design I always see...it's weird.
Napally
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by afua12)
I know what the term means. I just think it's derogatory towards people who have lower back tattoos for logical reasons But I can make an argument out of a lot so I wouldn't worry about this point!
Rach_90
Report 11 years ago
I want one on my wrist and at the back of my neck.

I would only get black ink (no colours!) and it would be small and classy.

Want them now, but have to wait over a year

Lol
bubu
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i aint going to preach about getting one at 18 as i had mine just before my 17th birthday but i will like to say make sure its meaning full we all go through things that effect our life
i had 5 done so far and all of them have a meaning behind them

tramp stamp-will change soon maybe to wrist or a design like a star(i like stars so please dont bite my head off), I have a lower back tattoo and im far from a tramp and its far from a "tramp stamp"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise