xxxchrisxxx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't know what the fuss is. She just wants to know her chances at those unis, and would choose whichever's slightly less competitive. Sure. All med schools are difficult to get into and medicine is hard work. But some are less so than others, however you put it.

She just wants to maximise her chances, why is that such a crime?
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
That's the point, some aren't easier than others. Really, they aren't. Most of the time playing to the odds and maximising your chances in medicine are good things but as far as this goes, you have to accept that what you are doing is, by its very nature, arrogant. You are looking at the odds, which sit against you, and thinking you can beat them. And, partially by extension, what you are doing is difficult and stupid and will sooner or later bring you to some grief.
digitalis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i would say oxbridge, ucl and imperial are different to the rest because they come top of most med school league tables, require the BMAT and are the most competitive. also theyre courses are 6 years.
:rolleyes: Just from reading that, it's clear you don't really have a clue what makes up a medicine degree, or even what applying is like!!

So they do a six year course. Do you know why it's six years over 5? Do you reckon by doing an extra year of study it makes a university superior in some way?

Do a search of league tables and med school relevance, then report back with your findings.

Require the BMAT. So they use an entrance test? They may place a lot on the BMAT, but less on interview. So if a university puts more emphasis on say interview, does that make them superior?

but some are less so than others, however you put it.
Maybe a few years ago, but that statement is becoming less true every year.
sophiakhanom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by xxxchrisxxx)
I don't know what the fuss is. She just wants to know her chances at those unis, and would choose whichever's slightly less competitive. Sure. All med schools are difficult to get into and medicine is hard work. But some are less so than others, however you put it.

She just wants to maximise her chances, why is that such a crime?
thankyou, thats exactly wht im trying to say!

and AEH whoever you are claiming that im arrogant and stupid, id much rather go to a uni other than imperial/ucl. its just that i live in london and im gonna have to commute for personal reasons. as there are only 5 med schools in london and i only have 4 choices, i have to make the choice between ucl/imperial. im not dying to go to either because their 'superior', i was just wanting some advice on which is less competitive.
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i have to make the choice between ucl/imperial. im not dying to go to either because their 'superior', i was just wanting some advice on which is less competitive.
i would say oxbridge, ucl and imperial are different to the rest because they come top of most med school league tables, require the BMAT and are the most competitive. also theyre courses are 6 years.
Oh really...
icapturethecastle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sophiakhanom)
thankyou, thats exactly wht im trying to say!

and AEH whoever you are claiming that im arrogant and stupid, id much rather go to a uni other than imperial/ucl. its just that i live in london and im gonna have to commute for personal reasons. as there are only 5 med schools in london and i only have 4 choices, i have to make the choice between ucl/imperial. im not dying to go to either because their 'superior', i was just wanting some advice on which is less competitive.
they're both just as competitiveas each other...they're med schools:rolleyes:

if it's to do with commuting reasons, why don't u just pick the one easiest to get to from home?
sophiakhanom
Rep:
?
just to clarify i dont think ucl/imperial/oxbridge are superior. i just thought they were harder to get into. and even if im wrong (which ill be happy to accept) is that such a stupid/arrogant assumption to make?

look at it like this: if i said to u that i was applying to either ucl, imperial, oxford and cambridge

or

manchester, peninsula, brighton and southhampton

which option would be easier, what would you say?
sophiakhanom
Rep:
?
(Original post by tami*)
they're both just as competitiveas each other...they're med schools:rolleyes:

if it's to do with commuting reasons, why don't u just pick the one easiest to get to from home?
because there's not much of a difference from where i live, and id rather apply to one which ive got more chance with. but since the majority think they're the same, then ill have to base my decision on sumthing els
sophiakhanom
Rep:
?
(Original post by digitalis)
Oh really...
what is ur point? in the second quote i was simply trying to say that i thought those 4 were harder to get into. i dont see a contradiction
icapturethecastle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
you could alway toss a coin

lol
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is exactly what is worrying about what your saying...it shows you really are just going on stereotypes of universities...not considering really the application criterias of each.

And the contradiction I was pointing out, for your reference, was this statement.

my first 3 choices are 'normal' med schools and im stuck between these two for my final choice.
i have to make the choice between ucl/imperial. im not dying to go to either because their 'superior', i was just wanting some advice on which is less competitive.
Johnny C.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
look at it like this: if i said to u that i was applying to either ucl, imperial, oxford and cambridge

or

manchester, peninsula, brighton and southhampton

Did you know that statistically speaking, Brighton is the hardest med school to get into with an application to place ratio of 20+:1

Oxford and Cambridge on the other hand are the easiest to get into with an application to place ratio of about 7:1
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what is ur point?
His point is that you're wrong.

Now, I know you're entitled to your opinion, thank you for sharing it with the group. But, understand that all the people here, whose answers you don't approve of, have been involved in the admissions process and have seen years of the same thing, we have seen the same question as yours, we have seen the same prejudice as yours, forgive us if we don't pat you on the back.
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
then ill have to base my decision on sumthing els
Which did you prefer? Which has the friendliest students? Which has made you feel welcome?
sophiakhanom
Rep:
?
but dont the people that apply to ox/camb have a much higher academic standard? which means it would be difficult or an average candidate to get in.
Johnny C.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I applied to both Oxford and Brighton. Many of the people I met at Brighton had also applied to Cambridge or Oxford. My point is that there isn't some underclass of medical student only applying to "lesser universities" - each med school gets its fair share of good applicants and weaker applicants.
AEH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I didn't say you in particular are arrogant or stupid, I said applying to medicine is arrogant and stupid. Its an inherently irrational decision based on an opinion of yourself as superior in a variety of ways to thousands of other people. Everyone who has ever applied to medicine is arrogant and stupid.
sophiakhanom
Rep:
?
(Original post by Renal)
His point is that you're wrong.

Now, I know you're entitled to your opinion, thank you for sharing it with the group. But, understand that all the people here, whose answers you don't approve of, have been involved in the admissions process and have seen years of the same thing, we have seen the same question as yours, we have seen the same prejudice as yours, forgive us if we don't pat you on the back.

its not that i dont approve of the answers cos i know u lot are a lot more experienced than me, its the fact that i am being personally insulted by some for not seeing through the common stereotypes such as oxbridge is hard to get into.
digitalis
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There won't be much difference in academic standards between oxbridge and other schools, remember everyone applying is of a high academic calibre.

Successful applicants to Oxbridge will be those who feel that the style of teaching is most conducive to their own personality/learning styles and that they feel they would fit in there well...that will impress an admissions tutor at interview rather than a perceived status boost or impressing the relatives.
sophiakhanom
Rep:
?
(Original post by AEH)
I didn't say you in particular are arrogant or stupid, I said applying to medicine is arrogant and stupid. Its an inherently irrational decision based on an opinion of yourself as superior in a variety of ways to thousands of other people. Everyone who has ever applied to medicine is arrogant and stupid.
then i would say that what you have just said is the biggest most stupid prejudiced opinion i have ever heard.

there are some that actully want to help people out there
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads