Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - Durham City is a nice place althought he surrounding villages are a different story. They've been left behind and there's a quite a lot of resentment towards Durham City from former pit-villagers. Also, in these villages, there is generally (albeit probably unjust) resentment towards southerners from the days of the mining strike.

There are incidents of stabbings and such in Durham City (someone was stabbed in broad daylight on North Road outside of Greggs, not so long back) but they are pretty rare to be honest.

North Road is not as rowdy as it used to be on Friday nights, due to increased police presence but the ocassional scrap occurs...stay away from it and you'll be fine. Also, if you are buying a student house, don't buy one which is on route to one of the main secondary schools or expect vandalism/broken windows/abuse/petty crime.

To be honest, County Durham is one of the poorest places in England & Wales but the actual city is very touristy and nice - it's extremely posh and affluent to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I heard a bit of a horror story from Stockton... In my friend's first night out in their Freshers' week, her senior rep got stabbed :s...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastGrape)
    Ah, I look forward to a nice relaxed time in comparison to home then.

Thinking about car/road safety I remember when I visited and felt I was going have to mentally adjust with how people actually stop to let you cross the road even when your not at a zebra crossing.

NOBODY stops at the zebra crossing by where I live.It's so bloody annoying.Even when you are halfway across people on the other side will just zoom over.

Durham is very safe....although somebody did get stabbed on North Road at Easter(but I think this was local to local violence)....Stockton is not as safe but as long as you have your wits about you...

I've never had a problem in Durham...a few chavs shouting abuse and locals being rude but meh...care.Watch out for the chavs in cars throwing eggs down South Road.Apparently it's a bit of a problem each October but it does die off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny_777)
    I heard a bit of a horror story from Stockton... In my friend's first night out in their Freshers' week, her senior rep got stabbed :s...
    Yep,I've heard that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny_777)
    that is true, but is the only 'major' incident ive heard of in 2 years there

a local was apparently angry at not being allowed into the student only (on a monday) Che Bar, and stabbed a freshers rep.

a very scary thing to happen, but that has not stopped hundreds of people enjoying Che Bar every week since then, I wouldn't say knife crime is a big issue at Queens Campus just because of 1 incident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolateflake99)
    I've never had a problem in Durham...a few chavs shouting abuse and locals being rude but meh...care.Watch out for the chavs in cars throwing eggs down South Road.Apparently it's a bit of a problem each October but it does die off.
    Not just October- I got egged last January.

If you get egged, try to make sure you get the car's numberplate (if you can get over the feeling like you've been shot quickly enough) because then the police can definitely do something about it. But eggings aren't hugely frequent incidents, and there are other ways up the Hill if they do get worse next year.

ReputationRep:
    From what I gather Durham is quite a safe place, I mean the city itself is not the type of place I'd expect to see much trouble. As for Newcastle or Queens Campus, I'd suspect it to be a little rougher perhaps, but again nothing major.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bravenewcentury)
    because then the police can definitely do something about it.
    Do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastGrape)
    Do they?
    As far as I'm aware, they have followed up on the egging reports where the victim actually saw the license plate.

Unfortunately, they're usually going so fast, and getting randomly hit with an egg gives you quite a shock (as I said, I thought I'd been shot for a few seconds), so they often get away before anyone sees anything. Still definitely worth reporting to college welfare at least though, so they can put a warning out.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for the advice. I can imagine how hard it is but I'll try and shake the shock of quickly and stare at the car no. plate.

When I (almost) got mugged with a knife I legged it safely away. The big thing I regret is not screaming really loudly while legging it to make someone look outside and help (then or as a better witness than I was).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.