Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Ugh. You are depending on a Vault guide. That says it all.
    Even if it a plie of s*** the figures on working hours still stand. They may (or may not) write a load of crap when handing out advice but at the end of the day i reckon some of the more factually orientated info, which largely makes up this particular book, is for the most part accurate. Then again, i could be wrong. I don't profess to be a master on the integrity of vault guide statistics.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about buying a "Vault" guide, would you advise against it? I've heard a couple of decent reccomendations for them.

ReputationRep:
    But in Markets [ie traders, stockbrokers, structuring] the hours are 60/week though aren't they? So as long as you don't go into IBD [ie M&A] you won't be working 80-100 hour weeks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    But in Markets [ie traders, stockbrokers, structuring] the hours are 60/week though aren't they? So as long as you don't go into IBD [ie M&A] you won't be working 80-100 hour weeks?
    Yeah, I think this is mostly true. I workshadowed an IBD analyst at a BB who worked 110 hours a week quite regularly :eek:. That's partly why I don't think I'd ever consider working in IBD.

ReputationRep:
    Does IBD comprise anything other than Mergers & Acquistions?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what part of markets - traders/sales no, but structurers/researchers can be somewhere in between IBD and trading. Even markets interns are working longer hours than commonly known, some going from 6am-9/10pm on a regular basis. Again, depends on product/area and role. On the other end of the scale, have heard of prop traders coming and going as they please, one even working as little as 2 days a week from what I read somewhere recently (and still being considered a 'rising star' or something).

That sounds like something straight out of Trader Monthly...

Don't buy the Vault Guide.

IBD has a lot more than just M&A to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    That sounds like something straight out of Trader Monthly...
    Yes, that's it, I was thinking it was in some magazine, couldn't remember if it was TM, II, EM or a figment of my imagination...

ReputationRep:
    Yep had a day's work experience at UBS a few months back and most of the traders i spoke to had roughly an 12 hour day.

Personally, that's the ammount of time that i reckon would best suit me, although i'd be content with an hour or so more.

From what they were saying it sounds like as a trader (which is what, at a very early stage, i'm interested in) you get in early morning, say 6:30... catch up on whats happened overnight, emails etc, then after an hour or so start the actual work which will last throughout the day really, lunch at desk as you can hardly stay away from your computer for long, then markets finish up around 5:30ish... everything wraped up by about 6:30 then off home

Seems to me like a challenging but not all-consuming 12 hour day which can pay comfortably (and damn well in some cases)... of course you've got to be able to handle the early starts

waits to be shot down for giving a highly inaccurate account of a graduate trader

Yes, it is 12 hours.

No, it isn't an easy 12 hours. It's regularly more stressful and busy than almost all other jobs in finance or outside of finance. The work is competitive and the other people in the market don't give a flying f- about you because they want to make money.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i'm just hoping the market crashes soon in America and depresses property prices here in the UK, some bankers get smaller bonuses and rent goes down for everyone .

ReputationRep:
    I work 55 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    Which department do you work for rboogie?

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell you, but I don't think that's a good idea given the number of weirdos on this board. I will say that most of my friends at a variety of banks who are in markets (non ECM) work around 55-70 hours a week.

ReputationRep:
    sorry I meant which department.. my bad

ReputationRep:
    Ecm?

ReputationRep:
    equity capital markets

ReputationRep:
    yeah thanks...

initially i wrote where do you work, where i meant which department. He replied and included the department he worked for, whilst i was changing that first post and writing the second one to explain what i mean.

sorry im at work..

and yeah i know ecm is equity capital market lol

ReputationRep:
    I was responding to crazster

ReputationRep:
    you should be able to function fine on 4-5 hours sleep, as long as you leave 1 night a week to have a longer sleep of like 8-12 hours.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 20, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.