military
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
One year! jesus, i guess people find jobs in the meantime and earn some money rather than just sitting at the pc or watching TV ! lol ?
Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by military)
One year! jesus, i guess people find jobs in the meantime and earn some money rather than just sitting at the pc or watching TV ! lol ?
This is true.
oultram22
Report 11 years ago
Sounds like a lot of competative scores guys..

What is the mark out of btw??

And when you say the begining of the recruitment year.... is that a good or a bad thing?
itsallhappeningagain
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Out of 180 I think
JetJockey
Report 10 years ago
I'm interested to hear if anyone has any stories RE: getting back to OASC before the 12 month period!!
smoggy52
Report 10 years ago
The only time I have heard of people being allowed to return in less than a year is if the candidate gets through all of OASC and they decide that they didnt perform too well in leadership but they have potential so they may ask them to return just to complete the leadership phase...same with fitness, they allow candidates to come back to redo the fitness test after so many weeks of working on it. The only reason it is one year is due to the aptitude tests...it must be 1 year between aptitude tests...not too sure why but if they had the same candidate coming back every few months to have a go at the aptitude tests it would get very expensive for the tax payer! Hope that helps.
*NuckingFuts*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maths. And lots of it. Practice mental arithmatic, so subtractions, additions, multiplications. Also look at the speed distance time for dummies thread, you'll need to be pretty comfortable with calculating those.
grandad
Report 10 years ago
Something I think you should look at if your going for things other then Pilot (i.e Air traffic) is angles. I was considering air traffic for my second choice and I never saw it suggested any where to practice looking at angles which am sure would help. you get an angle shown on the screen and you have to say what degrees it is from 5 choices I was out of my depth in that bit and got a low(compared to the rest of mine) score in ATC apptitude.
Then theres the usual reply of look for the speed distance time thread in this print it and do every question, twice preferably and brain training on the DS if you can so you can be as fast as possible at simple maths.
QuittersNeverWin
Report 9 years ago
Hi everyone,

Just came across this thread and thought I would add my little tit bit of information.
Had a friend who recently took the aptitude test (Mid August ’09) and whilst undergoing his review 'the review officer' mentioned that the competitive aptitude score for PILOT stands at 130.

Obviously the higher the better so as to increases your chances against fellow candidates , but one thing I will say is that a good piece of advice I’ve been given is to not get too fixated on your aptitude score; it’s simply one hurdle among many.
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by QuittersNeverWin)
Obviously the higher the better so as to increases your chances against fellow candidates , but one thing I will say is that a good piece of advice I’ve been given is to not get too fixated on your aptitude score; it’s simply one hurdle among many.
Point 1; can you edit your post please and remove the name? It's not terribly wise to start naming people in the military, especially when it's extremely easy to figure out where they work and what they do based on your post. I've asked a mod to pop along and edit it but I thought I'd see if you noticed first.

Secondly, you're right, "competitive" is meaningless. You're going to get a score, and there's not a lot you can do to change it or improve it, so there's no sense in worrying about it.

Someone who passes the aptitude tests and aces the rest of selection is more likely to get in than someone with high aptitude who messes everything else up. We're not short of good candidates.
QuittersNeverWin
Report 9 years ago
Hi Wzz,

Understand your point completely, didn’t really cross my mind at the time of writing. Apologies for any distress or harm caused. (Post has been edited)
Wzz
  • CV Helper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Cheers! Better safe than sorry.
JETMAN1984
Report 9 years ago
Hi all. Please tell me if a FAT`s score of 124 for pilot is good enough for a place at BRNC. Apparently there are people serving with this score but i am unsure?
Sam-J-J
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on the strengths across the rest of your selection process.

Someone with a high aptitude that flops at most other things is unlikely to be offered a place, whereas someone who just passes but excels in other areas may well be given the chance.
JETMAN1984
Report 9 years ago
Thanks, I am just a bit concerned as im putting in lot of work in preperation for the aib (as does everyone else i know). I have been told by my liason officer that all i need to go for is a pass at the AIB. He also stated that they have put an age waiver on me (as im on the limit) and will consider me for the next intake if it comes to that. Why would they do this with a 124 score? Is this score ok? You are right though i should imagine as the guy at oasc said that people are serving with this score. I do have an aircraft engineering background both on fixed and rotary aircraft, maybe they like this? Think i should just `man up` and get on with it positively i suppose.
neildo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You said it, now MAN UP! You've done your best, it is a pass; there are discrepancies over whether 120 or 130 is considered "competitive"...who cares do you best at AIB as it's your whole profile they look at. A dude got 170 on my board and failed at exercise phase, another guy only just passed for WSOp and sadly got sent home at the medical.
Dhalgren
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by grandad)
you get an angle shown on the screen and you have to say what degrees it is from 5 choices I was out of my depth in that bit and got a low(compared to the rest of mine) score in ATC apptitude.
Does anyone know how close together the multichoice options are? +/-10 degrees isn't too bad if you're practised, but +/- 2 is tough, especially under test conditions. Also are you provided any indication of other angles (0,90,180,360 etc) to assist?
neildo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Starts off with the screen labelled with 0-360deg, with a line going out to one of the points on the outside. This is straight forward. Then it's a dot, which you need to mentally line up with the outside which remains labelled. Then there are multiple dots and you need to measure the angles of specific ones ie. A; still with the outside labelled. Finally the outside isn't labelled and there are multiple dots. It's no way +/- 2, if the answer is 50, the choices will be 20, 30, 40, 50, 90. It warms you up for the latter part, doing the first bit. Ps. that might not be the EXACT running order or if, but you get the gist of it i'm sure
shorey
Report 9 years ago
Multi tasking seemed to be a big part of the tests imo. Strange as it sounds I believe certain computer games (3D ones especially) can develop your spatial awareness, I rememer a test where you had to keep track of a rolling and pitching plane and had to indicate the directional inputs the pilot would have made. I know I didn't explain that very well sorry.

As stated before, try not to think too much about the aptitude tests, they are supposed to measure your natural ability after all. I got 148 on pilot, 154 on ABM with the others all similar and let myself down in the hangar excersises. They've suggested I come back next year but a year is a long time to lose due to silly mistakes!

Dont neglect the rest of the process by obsessing over the aptitude scores.
Dhalgren
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by neildo)
Starts off with the screen labelled with 0-360deg, with a line going out to one of the points on the outside. This is straight forward. Then it's a dot, which you need to mentally line up with the outside which remains labelled. Then there are multiple dots and you need to measure the angles of specific ones ie. A; still with the outside labelled. Finally the outside isn't labelled and there are multiple dots. It's no way +/- 2, if the answer is 50, the choices will be 20, 30, 40, 50, 90. It warms you up for the latter part, doing the first bit. Ps. that might not be the EXACT running order or if, but you get the gist of it i'm sure
That's brilliant, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
62.16%
No I haven't decided yet (48)
21.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.22%

Watched Threads