How can you write faster?! Watch

didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tesh^^)
It doesn't have to be neat...just readable.Doing joined up writing usually slows it down,try the letters seperated and gripping the pen at different angles.
joined up speeds things up loooads!! means you dont have to take your pen off the paper, and then back on for every damn letter!
jumpinglunch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
joined up speeds things up loooads!! means you dont have to take your pen off the paper, and then back on for every damn letter!
No but your speed is restricted!
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Chriz)
They don't just test on your knowledge (which should be the sole purpose), but also your writing speed, neatness, luck and other elements that just make exams unreliable and invalid!

Absolute rubbish.
yvonnay
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know! we need more time! in my law exam today I pratically ran out of time and had to bullet point stuff. Although everyone else had finished :/ Also i've noticed that my writing has become much smaller and messier recently because i've been writing faster than I usually do.
lottie12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A good pen where the ink flows through easily! Rollerballs are usually best..

And to be honest, you probably write the same as others.. I wrote 15 pages in my exam the other day whereas my other friends wrote about 10. But then my writing gets bigger and bigger and i can only get like 5 words per line..
i'm no superman
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Precisely why I chose not to do any essay based subjects at AS. I'll tell you something though, quality over quantity. I wrote 3 pages for one of my GCSE English terminal papers last year and I wrote 7 for the other paper. I got 75/90 for the three pages while I got 68/90 for the seven pages I wrote. I literally cried myself to sleep after writing three pages for the exam and hearing others having wrote a dozen and using up two booklets! I'll never forget the shock on results day - I was really expecting a B/C and felt lucky to get an A.
x_muso_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Over the years of doing exams, I've tried to write faster and faster, the result being totally illegible handwriting, which has on occasions risked marks because the examiner can simply not read it! An examiner is much more likely to like you if you have nice, neat, easy to read handwriting, rather than somekind of scrawl like mine! lol
Maybe it'd be better to learn how to write succintly (if you don't already!) with the writing you have - don't worry about how many pages or whatever, a friend of mine used to write reams and reams and it really doesn't make much different!
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tesh^^)
No but your speed is restricted!
in your case maybe.... i personally write far far far faster when i join up, and write alot faster than most of my friends
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a slow writer too! But quality and quantity rule! hehe

I also agree with style pens (rolllerballs!), one with flowing ink and a smooth feel so that it doesn't hurt between your fingers.

I also find writing at an angle joined up much quicker to write, rather than straight up blocked lettering.
Deifer
Report 11 years ago
Change your handwriting style. If you're one of those people who studiously joins up their bubble handwriting, then forget it. The fastest handwriting is a flowing, joined-up writing style - and if you can make it legible, good for you. On the other hand, if you're a bubble-writing sort of person, then you may find it easier to just write all the letters separately.

Many years has seen my writing change to pretty much everything in the book, but my 'exam handwriting' just about passes the legibility test - and is joined up (faster, if you can do it right) and even if all the letters don't fit with the "big letters twice the height of the small ones" rule of bubble writing, it is legible.

Experiment? xD
Weirdly, practice makes perfect.

I'd always go for rollerballs. Ink pens scratch on the page. But whatever suits you most.
Cate15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
i have to write in joined up.
print takes me forever
Captain Biggles
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Chriz)
I hate the style of exams now days (or if it was always like this...). They don't just test on your knowledge (which should be the sole purpose), but also your writing speed, neatness, luck and other elements that just make exams unreliable and invalid!
EXACTLY!! Like my Higher English (Scottish system :rolleyes:) critical analysis exam where we have to basically 'learn' the essay we're going to write beforehand. If I had my way we'd be given a poem/passage to analyze all the literary devices used, etc. etc. Now that would test the skill of the candidate knowing the literary devices rather than the ability to learn an essay off by heart. Our other exams aren't bad really, it's just that English comes to mind as being, IMO, awful. :p:
Kolya
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by x_muso_x)
An examiner is much more likely to like you if you have nice, neat, easy to read handwriting, rather than somekind of scrawl like mine! lol
I wrote two essays, in the same subject on one day: one essay was in a Gothic italic handwriting (don't ask), and the other was in a barely-legible scribble. The second got the higher mark...
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I work really slowly. It used to be a huge problem finishing exams. I usually finish them now (though not always) except for writing exams. I was miles away from finishing my German writing exam last year (there were very specific set points to cover). I don't know what I got for it because we got the marks for 4 separate speaking, reading, writing and listening exams (worth total of 50%) altogether. It was an A* overall though. That writing one definitely wasn't. I have no idea how I'm going to cope with the English exams this year though. With German, I could rely on the other modules to compensate for the writing but there're a lot more English writing exams. The quality's pretty good usually, but I write very little (can't think what to write under pressure). My writing is very squashed up compared to other peoples' though so I actually write quite a lot more than I appear to have done.
Slender Loris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I write (and read) slow enough that I qualified for extra time at A-Level... I still barely ever finished an essay paper.
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by archaeologygirl)
I write (and read) slow enough that I qualified for extra time at A-Level... I still barely ever finished an essay paper.
How do you do that?
Slender Loris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Meliae)
How do you do that?
Um... at the very start of college we did a reading/writing/arithmetic test/assessment thing and it flagged me up as needing extra help, so I went to, er, I forget what they're called, like, student services study help people and had an assessment. Not a proper official dyslexia assessment, but reading/writing speed tests and they said I was well below average so qualified for extra time. And got help from them as well on how to read faster/better, plan essays, time management etc.
mermania
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
quality, not quantity eh!
I usually write a lot less than anyone else I know, and finish the exam a lot quicker, but usually get higher marks. For one of my exams in 2nd year I left the exam hall 15 minutes before my friend, wrote literally half as many pages as he did and ended up getting a (much) higher mark. it's not all about writing loads if what you're writing is actually good.
Bubblebee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In exams my handwriting is so messy and it seems to double in size every page
Eubacterium
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Write smaller and with less force. Also ball point as opposed to like foundation pen.
Fountain pens in exams are a nightmare!

I have too ways of writing, quick and messy and slow and neat, so I find it hard to write everything in time during an exam. Trying to be concise and practising at home would probably help, although I’m not one to talk. You’ll might even lose marks for rambling (as those who wrote like 10 pages may have), I know I would.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (76)
67.26%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
18.58%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
14.16%

Watched Threads