The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Steffiewoo
There are 10 kinds of mathematicians. Those who can think binarily and those who can't.

Shouldn't that read '01' rather than '10'? 10 in binary means one, whereas 01 means two. Sorry, it's just been bugging me all day.
Reply 21
10 in binary means 2, 01 means one. It works from left to right 1,2,4,8,16 and so on: your maths teacher deserves a clip round the ear. :smile:

Couldn't give a monkies what she does. If she couldn't sing I wouldn't even know who she was or care, the press is obsessed it's sad.
Sorry, I never actually learnt binary at school. I vaguely remember it from reading a book about Chocky or something weird like that. Can you explain it to me?
Reply 23
It's base 2. in decimal there are ten numbers 0-9 in binary two in every set 0-1.

So if you have a binary number such as 01101010

write down 128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1

Then write 01101010 under each column.

Each time there is a 1 you add that number so in this case we have.

64+32+8+2=106.

It's pretty simple really.
north bank gooner
Shouldn't that read '01' rather than '10'? 10 in binary means one, whereas 01 means two. Sorry, it's just been bugging me all day.

You're incorrect.
1 in binary is 1 in decimal
10 in binary is 2 in decimal
I understand my mistake now. I was reading it the wrong way round, like 1,2,4,8 instead of 8,4,2,1 for instance.

Reply 26
np :smile:

Oh and in case you want to go back the other way.

Divide your decimal number 106 by 2 and take the remainder. Do this until the result reaches zero.

106/2=53 r0
53/2=26 r1
26/2=13 r0
13/2=6 r1
6/2=3 r0
3/2=1r1
1/2=0r1

Read the remainders from the bottom to the top

1101010 which is equivalent to 01101010 our original number.
Reply 27
lmfao ^

only on tsr
Reply 28
talk about straying off topic :tongue:
Reply 29
Did anyone else watch Richard Bacon's countdown of 100 most irritating people of 2007? She won :king1:
GodspeedGehenna
Because after Britney Spears commits suicide, who else will the media have to target and harass?

I wish death stopped the media. That way we'd not have to hear about Diana every other day.
Reply 31
Tufts
Did anyone else watch Richard Bacon's countdown of 100 most irritating people of 2007? She won :king1:

she really is irritating though!!!!!!!
Reply 32
The London Lite is actually a joke when it comes to Amy Whinehouse (It's actually ok to read to distract yourself from the smelly dude you're unfortunately squashed agasint during rush hour on the tube) if I remember correctly, there was a 2 page spread on her dyeing her hair blond! lol.

I really do not care about her every movements of her life, my firend who lives in Camden town says seeing her is nothing special anymore, as she's always out doing something that will end up in the London Lite.

I just can't believe people are actaully GENUINELY interested
This thread is a perfect example.
Reply 34
shes a wretched creature who dribbles her meaningless lyrics incoherently into a microphone.
Yeah, Amy Winehouse should go away! She's such a bad example to anyone. She's too much, and I don't think she's exceptionally talented entertainer at all. Her hairdo and make-up! Argh! What a nightmare, indeed! She's such a bad example of British product after Pete Doherthy and Kate Moss etc.............. I think Amy Winehouse is the worst kind so far.
Reply 36
Ah the dead walk!

Keeping in the theme of the thread and my contribution to it.

Unparseable latex formula:

$\int_1^9 \frac{1}{tan(x)}\times cos(x)

Given x>0<10 is there a definite solution? If there is what is the answer in binary or base2? How about octal or hexedecimal?
Cate15
Is anyone else sick to death of hearing about that bloody woman?!

Yes you she has drug problems and a reasonably sucessfull album but godddd why do people wanna know so much about her?
Why do we care?

I know this sounds quite macabre but I think she is so close to the edge people are waiting for her to tip over.
It’s quite sad really. :frown:
Reply 38
Avada_Kedavra
I know this sounds quite macabre but I think she is so close to the edge people are waiting for her to tip over.
It&#8217;s quite sad really. :frown:

You mean like people rubbernecking after an accident, I wonder if she's going to do a Brittany Spears and go mental? Dissappear off to rehab, pop out a kid or two, lose a custody battle etc. Give the Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaan something to write about now that David Beckham isn't around so much, and - in theory at least - Dianna is dead.
Um OP i'd hardly call having the biggest selling album of 2007 and winning 5 Grammys being "reasonably successful". It's not her fault the Media is obsessed with her. Blaim those moronic tabloids, not her.

Latest

Trending

Trending