caffeine free life Watch

The Stig
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jiser)
I use to drink between 7-10 cups of green tea/ tea/ coffee every day during my placement. Some days would go for a swift pint after work. Some nights though I would just get home and fall asleep.

I did a week of no caffine and I felt really ill, tired, then gradually I felt alot better, alot more refreshed.

I say keep it though as coffee is lush In fact iam gonna go get one now
10 cups ! :eek:
YAP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yay coffee - just brewing some Australian Skybury .

In moderation, it's fine. In fact, coffee is a rich source of antioxidants which help prevent cancer. So much so, that a recent American study indicated that in some people's poor, low-vegetable diets, coffee is their largest source of antioxidants .
LoveMusic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Does it make that much of a difference to give up caffeine?

I don't think i could give up my diet coke.
</gibberish>
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
6 cups so far today, I have about 10-15 a day on weekends & about 8-9 on weekdays.
And you know what? I love coffee, and feel no need to stop drinking it.
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Stig)
Like most things, completely cutting something out can't be good.

Errr, that premise only applies to things that are good for you...
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As with quitting any physiologically-addicting substance (and especially so one to which the body has acquired a tolerance), you're liable to feel worse in some respects before you start to feel better.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by no hero in her sky)
Errr, that premise only applies to things that are good for you...
Doesn't the premise that 'coffee is bad' itself apply only for abnormal levels of consumption?

Heck, even water in sufficient quantities can kill you.
digitalis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I couldn't tell the difference :/
Same. Never felt anything off caffeine, pro plus either Major disappointment!
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I go in phases, but its Red Bull and Coke which do it for me.

When its revision/deadline time or working long harvest days in the summer I get through cans and cans of caffinated stuff. Normally I have a couple of cokes a day. Sometimes I go for a week without it to try and get rid of some of my tolerance! It usually works a bit.
AntiLearner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
People who rarely have caffiene don't feel the effects of it. People who have it all the time will start relying on it to make them feel awake etc. So if you get into the habit of drinking it continuously, you will need to rely on it. So yes, it is good to cut it out completely. I did it in October with fizzy drinks, but recently started having 1 a day again during the Xmas period. Will need to cut it out again soon.
joeydeacon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I suffer from severe insomnia and i can tell you that cutting caffeine out of my diet completely made absolutely no difference, it really isn't that strong
YAP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AntiLearner)
People who rarely have caffiene don't feel the effects of it.
Actually, it's the opposite of that. Caffeine only improves concentration in people who rarely have caffeine.

People who have it all the time will start relying on it to make them feel awake etc.
Yes. What happens is that the brain adapts to the caffeine so that it is required for the brain to perform normally. Caffeine binds to adenosine receptors, so the brain's response to persistent use is to increase the number of adenosine receptors. People who quit caffeine cold turkey have lower concentration levels than people who don't take it in at all, because they have more adenosine receptors but proportionally fewer are being activated in the absence of caffeine. It takes a few days for tolerance to form, as the receptor count increases. Similarly, it takes a few days to lose tolerance as the receptor count decreases.

So the only way to get any benefit from it is to only consume caffeine occasionally, avoiding an increase in receptor count. Routine caffeine drinkers who find it 'wakes them up' are merely staving off withdrawal by reactivating their adenosine receptors - they're no more awake than they would be if they'd never drunk caffeine.

However, there is a silver lining. There's an inverse relationship between long-term caffeine consumption and suicide risk, hurrah .
Jillie Boe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't know. I hardly ever consume it. I don't like coke, coffee, tea, energy drinks. And I'm fine.

I know people who need like 3 cups of coffee in the morning before they function and I'm like whhhhy. lol!
Nally
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am like Jillie Boe - I have never tasted tea or coffee, never had red bull or red square or any of those things and only drink a can of diet coke when I meet up with a certain friend for lunch which is once/twice a month max. I don't like hot drinks so have difficulty working out how people can drink 7-10 of them a day!
sweetnfresh2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laursy)
for the last week ive not been comsuming any caffeine filled drinks etc, and all i have drank is herbal tea!
I think that's better for your health.

is it healthy to cut caffeine out of my life completely? or do we need that quick boost now and then to keep us awake!!
You get withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking caffein, but will be all right eventually. You may try decafe stuff if you miss taste of coffee or tea, but want to cut down the amount of caffein you take per day.

am i being ridiuclus and a freaky health obsessive!
No. I think you're being wise.
sweetnfresh2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/condi...age/index.html
Mr. Mortell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I could never go Caffeine free, you are braver than me! lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (144)
60.25%
No I haven't decided yet (54)
22.59%
Yes but I might change my mind (41)
17.15%

Watched Threads