Worried about going to prom... Watch

reisen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Toy Soldier)
In most cases, I'd be indifferent if they were dead. In some cases, I'd laugh.
wow harsh :eek: :mad:
Ariana123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i completely agree with u reisen, it isn't too late at all. adopt a new lifestyle, lose some weight - not to become a social conformist or to follow some makeover shown in american movies, but it will boost your confidence so much. one of my friends did and had a fantastic time. people are there to have a good time not to belittle other people.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with Gilliwoo and Toy Soldier, despite it being quite depressing.

A dab of make up and a few pounds shed from the arse is not going to make a person popular overnight.

Teenagers are cruel, particularly when handed opportunities for being vile on a plate.
Anonymous #3
Report 11 years ago
I didn't go, while not being quite so much a social outcast as you, I still had little friends (non id consider close, but I probably would of got on alright, had people to talk to etc). I have bad anxiety problems, that im working with to overcome but it takes time. When the time came to buy tickets for the prom I just bought them cause everyone was, and for a while I intended to go. However, I just couldnt stop worrying about it, even weeks before the prom. So I decided, **** this, I can't be arsed to worry about this any longer and just decided not to go.

Came to the night and one of my friends actually rang up asking where I was (cause they thought I was going!), my parents just said I wasn't here. I guess it was more anxiety than anything. Though now its over, I dont regret it. Most of the people in my class were total ********s, and i'll be glad to never see them again. To be honest I dont, and havent so far, think I will keep in contact with anyone from sixth form. I'm so glad to get out of there and get on with my life.

Im in a much better position now than I was last year, and I get less anxious about stuff. I can't wait to get off to university and make some proper friends. I dont think I ever fit in in secondary school.

Dont go, just cause you think you will be missing out. You probably wont be missing out on anything. Going to prom is about saying goodbye and having fun with your friends. Other than this there is no reason to go, so if you feel you really dont have any friends, then dont go.
FABoinkSIG
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Firstly, don't let yourself believe that you're ugly. No-one's ugly. Some people just require a little extra work. (I'm one of them )

And secondly:
I didn't go to my prom. I went to see Pirates of the Carribbean instead. Had a fantastic night. But so did all the people I (kinda) knew who got all dressed up, went to the prom, and danced the night away.

I DID, however, go to my friend's prom. And that was a terrific party. I knew one person there, but still had a lot of fun. It really all boils down to whether you arrive with the resolve to have a good time or not. If you're sat in the corner by yourself, you won't have nearly as much fun as if you get up, find someone you know a bit, and integrate yourself into the evening. You're part of the year, and you deserve one final fling!!!
galadriel100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You don't have to go if you don't want to.

I'm sure you wont be all alone and you will have a nice time.

That said, I didn't go to my prom (well we call them 'formals' here) I was the only girl who didn't go lol I didn't want to spend $300 on a dress I'd never wear again, get some dodgy photos taken by a 'professional photographer' and watch everyone else show off about how great they are (my school had awards for 'best looking' person and things like that and for best looking guy, everyone voted for the guy who was NOT the best looking which was soo mean!) I watched The Bill and went to a uni info night instead lol
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Never understood what the massive deal about proms was.

Mine was inconvienantly postioned the night before my lifeguarding exam and the night after an 8 hour day of lifeguarding training.

Fortunatly I couldnt have cared less about any of this dressing up or date rubbish. Turned up an hour late, wearing trainers, headed straight for the buffet, eat a load of food, danced a few songs with my mates then headed off to bed. Job done
Nally
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with the people saying if you don't want to go, don't go. 9 times out of 10 proms in the UK are hyped up beyond all belief and then turn out to be a let down *unless* you have a good group of friends you can have a laugh with. I had a great time at the prom with my bunch of friends however I could have had just as much if not more fun somewhere else without having to spend £30 on a ticket, £20 on my portion of car hire and then god knows how much on an outfit. My prom had bad food and bad music and was still just as cliquey as school.

What I'm trying to say is, it was being with my friends that made prom great - if as you say you don't have friends at school then personally if I were in your position I wouldn't go.
em1n3m
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Go. It'll be a blast!
pinksparkles2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you think its going to be more stressed than its worth then dont go.
Everyone gets nervous about it though.. I felt sick for about a week before, even though I didnt have any of your problems.
If you dont want to go then dont.. unless you have a really small year group then no one will notice your not there. I cant rememeber who was/wasnt at my prom.. apart from my friends.
And plus, if your not going to enjoy it then your going to be wasting a lot of money on a dress that you will never wear again.
But what you could try and do is make some closer friends before then.. and see how it goes. Maybe you'll feel more confident by the time it comes.
xx
arguendo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i'm average looking but pretty overweight and went to my ball. went without a date, with a group of friends (all of us without dates) and tbh had a blast. spent ages trying to find a dress and wasn't quite happy with the one i settled on in the end, but it was worth it -- spent the night with different groups of friends at different times, chatted to some friends of friends i'd never met before, chatted to friend's exes i hadn't seen in ages, etc. etc. and got a bit drunk and had hilarious pictures xD

i always said i wouldn't go to my leavers' ball because i don't have particularly fond memories of my school or many of the people in it; but i decided to go because i'd rather regret going than not going. if i didn't go, i'd never know how it could've been and i'd've missed out on the last time everyone was together, really. which would've been a shame. and if i'd gone and had a **** time, well, so what? at least i'd've known what it would've been like if i hadn't gone -- i'd've just stayed at home doing bugger all. this way i was out of the house, not feeling like i was missing out on anything, and i got a free drink out of it. actually, more than a free drink, as i made my friend's boyfriend buy me drinks xD

i'd say go because what's there to lose? if you don't go you don't get to see what the fuss is all about. and if you go and it's rubbish, well, you've lost nothing, have you? and at my ball the only people who got mocked were the popular *****es who turned up in incredibly slutty dresses and acted like eejits. the less popular, shyer kids who turned up generally got complimented by everyone because no one'd seen them all dressed up before.
trm90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was going to say yes but then I forgot you mentioned how you don't have any friends.

In that case, you're threatening your sanity by going.

I know a lot of 'below-average' looking people who go to proms without a date, but they end up going and dancing with their group of friends anyway. In your case, though, it's probably best if you save yourself the hassle and have a relaxing night perhaps with your family or maybe a friend from elsewhere .
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yonanz)
my gosh. listen to me. just go and be natural. people arent there to laugh at each other (well, not in a derogatory way anywayz..). Most of the time, we imagine people making a mockery of us behind our back but i can guarantee you that 99.99% of the time its just misplaced, unneccessary worry. We are jsut too sensitive to things around us.

prom is really once in a life time experience. for those who didn't go because of confidence issues, lets just say they missed out on alot. for those who went despite feeling jittery and unconfident, kudos, because everyone who went had hell lots of fun. lest the minority few, many of us would definitely feel awkward and shy but its ok since everyone is feeling that way! just be natural, look your best, and enjoy your night. appraoch people and talk, because if you go and choose to hide in one corner, then no one can really help yya.
My post must be invisible. :rolleyes:
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yonanz)
my gosh. listen to me. just go and be natural. people arent there to laugh at each other (well, not in a derogatory way anywayz..). Most of the time, we imagine people making a mockery of us behind our back but i can guarantee you that 99.99% of the time its just misplaced, unneccessary worry. We are jsut too sensitive to things around us.

prom is really once in a life time experience. for those who didn't go because of confidence issues, lets just say they missed out on alot. for those who went despite feeling jittery and unconfident, kudos, because everyone who went had hell lots of fun. lest the minority few, many of us would definitely feel awkward and shy but its ok since everyone is feeling that way! just be natural, look your best, and enjoy your night. appraoch people and talk, because if you go and choose to hide in one corner, then no one can really help yya.
You haven't seen Carrie, have you?
Charli_90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's just not worth worrying about. If you really don't wanna go, you don't have to, there will be plenty more opportunities like it later in life when you're more confident in yourself, and have a group of friends you can relax and enjoy yourself with. However if you do go, I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think right now.
Nadinus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OP: Don't go if you really feel that you won't be able to feel comfortable. Try as much as you can to think of a group of people who you could hang out with, who might be happy for you to chat to them. Try and summon up some confidence but don't feel obliged to go. It's overrated and if it's not your scene it could just make you feel worse.
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Prom is overrated, overhyped rubbish. I only enjoyed mine because we spiked our table's water with vodka and acted like drunk *****.

It's basically a **** meal, followed by a disco. Nothing to get excited about or get in a state over.

However, if you don't have a group of friends/a date, I wouldn't recommend going. You'll alienate yourself further.
woofums
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i went to my prom, and it had good points and bad points!

the good things, going in a fire engine!! the most fun hour of the whole night!!! weaing pink adidas trainers with miss piggy on them and laughing about all he other girls wearing stupid shoes!

bad things, **** music! 140 people in a hall the size of a classroom! everyone dancing bar me! literally 100's of teachers standing laughing! horrific photos in which i look hideous!!! burn them all!!

but given the chance i would go again as the fire engine was sooooo fun!

plus everyone goes on about it for months before and ages after!

and i think its a good idea to do that transformation thing! i would have well liked to have done that! it would have been like 2 fingers to all the *****y girls that bullied me!
Overground
Badges: 17
Report 11 years ago
Hmm I don't think anyone can say 'you should go' or 'you shouldn't go', it's all down to your particular circumstances.

It's ages away though, stop worrying!
reisen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
tbh prom IS seriously overrated..waste of money. best part of the night was going clubbing afterwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (112)
17.75%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.26%
Not great so far... (225)
35.66%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.33%

Watched Threads