Is this a disorder? Watch

death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i think when other people mentioned OCD they were right.
i have OCD and it affects me with quite a few things. there are certain sounds that really upset me. i actually had to get rid of my old PC because the noise it made made my skin crawl. and certain numbers that i really don't like. if i ever see the toaster on the number 4 setting i get really agitated.
also i seem to hear movements. i know it makes no sense, but if someone is swinging their legs (for example) i feel like i'm being deafened by loud noise.

do you seem to experience any of that? or counting maybe, liking things a certain way?
also when you hear those words do you feel very twitchy or maybe feel like you're itchy or something?
ticos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh thanks for posting, maybe its more normal than I thought then. Have you always had this grudge against certain words? Its reminded me that I also get really mad after hearing my dad whistling the dog. I suppose a positive side for you is maybe as a result you have learned better self control in general than most people but I know what you mean it must be a real nuisance.
I don't know if it's normal, but at least we both know that someone else has it! The other thing that I have in conjunction with this is I get seriously mad at the sound of my dad's cough, and also at the sound of him eating. No-one else, just him. It does actually have a major impact on the family situation, and has made me feel like a really intolerant person (which in reality I'm probably not, because it is just this that drives me mad).

In response to your question: yes, I have had this grudge as long as I can remember. All the words I hate are semi-onomatopeic. They just sound really disgusting and repulsive to me. No-one else I know has such a strong reaction to the sound of any word.
Ani*
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
i also agree with the ocd comments as it does sound like an obsession that you can't get yourself out of. I really doubt youre suffering from a type of autism with no other noticible attributes.Although my brother has aspergers and i do notice that he seems to be slightly tense/embarassed when certain everyday phrases (moreso than words) are mentioned. Have you thought about maybe going to see your GP or someone, because 9 times out of 10 they will be able to help you overcome it, or at least tell you what it is that you're dealing with!x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by death.drop)
i think when other people mentioned OCD they were right.
i have OCD and it affects me with quite a few things. there are certain sounds that really upset me. i actually had to get rid of my old PC because the noise it made made my skin crawl. and certain numbers that i really don't like. if i ever see the toaster on the number 4 setting i get really agitated.
also i seem to hear movements. i know it makes no sense, but if someone is swinging their legs (for example) i feel like i'm being deafened by loud noise.

do you seem to experience any of that? or counting maybe, liking things a certain way?
also when you hear those words do you feel very twitchy or maybe feel like you're itchy or something?
I don't feel itchy more uncomfortable both physically and mentally. I used to have a thing about shutting doors 3 times and feeling like something bad would happen if I didn't. Also if I touched something with one hand I had to touch it with the other otherwise I felt odd lol. Im not so worried about these things though as I know they are probably a mild form of OCD. I remember someone in my class wanting to change tutor groups because she hated the curtains maybe she had something similar to what you have.
Sarahl89
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hmmm why does everything have to have a definition nowadays?

OP everyone has their little quirks, it doesnt mean you are ill or theres something wrong with you!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ticos)
I don't know if it's normal, but at least we both know that someone else has it! The other thing that I have in conjunction with this is I get seriously mad at the sound of my dad's cough, and also at the sound of him eating. No-one else, just him. It does actually have a major impact on the family situation, and has made me feel like a really intolerant person (which in reality I'm probably not, because it is just this that drives me mad).

In response to your question: yes, I have had this grudge as long as I can remember. All the words I hate are semi-onomatopeic. They just sound really disgusting and repulsive to me. No-one else I know has such a strong reaction to the sound of any word.
Yea I get annoyed at only my dad whistling and to be honest he used to make this weird noise at the end of his cough and that annoyed me but now I just put up with it, the whistling can make me mad for hours though its like he does it on purpose but I know he doesn't. Anyway your dad sounds as annoying as mine lol they might just happen to be over annoying and we are over sensitive or something.
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I swear I've read an almost identical post on TSR a while ago... but this was only posted yesterday. Funnily enough, I was just looking at a thread about Deja Vu. If I'm not imagining it, there's someone else on here with this problem - including the part about liking it when people you're attracted to say these words. I'll try and find it.
Metamorphosis_S
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm sure I know what you're talking about, I doubt it's as uncommon as you think it is. A friend of mine has OCD and he has exactly the same problem. There are words that just make him feel generally uncomfortable of just irrationally angry.
Everyone has their quirks, I become really upset and angry when people touch/brush my hair for example.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Meliae)
I swear I've read an almost identical post on TSR a while ago... but this was only posted yesterday. Funnily enough, I was just looking at a thread about Deja Vu. If I'm not imagining it, there's someone else on here with this problem - including the part about liking it when people you're attracted to say these words. I'll try and find it.
I did post once before ages ago about this but thought it was an another forum, I was really freaking out at the time.
Meliae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah so I'm not losing it! Here's the thread - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?p=9976517

Sounds very similar... unless this is another thread by the same person?

Edit- Looking at them both again, too similar I think. I assume this is also your thread?
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't feel itchy more uncomfortable both physically and mentally. I used to have a thing about shutting doors 3 times and feeling like something bad would happen if I didn't. Also if I touched something with one hand I had to touch it with the other otherwise I felt odd lol. Im not so worried about these things though as I know they are probably a mild form of OCD. I remember someone in my class wanting to change tutor groups because she hated the curtains maybe she had something similar to what you have.
yeah, definitely sounds like you have mild OCD. if it really affects you then you can get medication but if you just wanted to know what was wrong, like i did when i noticed i wasn't 'normal' then i wouldn't bother with any meds.
Anonymous #1
Yea it is thats what I thought I posted on another forum, thought I got someone else to post for me though as I couldn't log in lol. It must of been on this forum, I'l read the replies for that too.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah, definitely sounds like you have mild OCD. if it really affects you then you can get medication but if you just wanted to know what was wrong, like i did when i noticed i wasn't 'normal' then i wouldn't bother with any meds.
Whats OCD? How can you be deafened by swinging legs? Just wondered.
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder
it's kind of hard to explain a lot of it but basically it's when you become compulsive and/or obsessive about stuff lol
for instance most people would maybe notice the swinging legs and nothing more, once i've noticed them i can't stop thinking about them and i literally can't hear myself think. - aka obsessing
as for the compulsive part...i used to count with every step. i'd count to five and then start at one again. couldn't stop myself. when i make toast i have to put the toast down on the first setting, then when it's finished turn it over and put it down again on the same setting for 38 seconds. it doesn't even make good toast that way lol.

you might be better off looking it up on wikipedia or something that asking me :p:
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OCD = obsessive compulsive disorder
it's kind of hard to explain a lot of it but basically it's when you become compulsive and/or obsessive about stuff lol
for instance most people would maybe notice the swinging legs and nothing more, once i've noticed them i can't stop thinking about them and i literally can't hear myself think. - aka obsessing
as for the compulsive part...i used to count with every step. i'd count to five and then start at one again. couldn't stop myself. when i make toast i have to put the toast down on the first setting, then when it's finished turn it over and put it down again on the same setting for 38 seconds. it doesn't even make good toast that way lol.

you might be better off looking it up on wikipedia or something that asking me :p:
No im better asking you, ok I thought you meant literally deafened. I used to be obsessed with memorising number plates and checking the fire like 10 times a night to see if it was off, even though I knew full well it was!!
death.drop
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
No im better asking you, ok I thought you meant literally deafened. I used to be obsessed with memorising number plates and checking the fire like 10 times a night to see if it was off, even though I knew full well it was!!
i'm pretty sure everyone has mild OCD of sorts. my brother subconsciously aligns everything. doesn't even realise he's doing it. i figure unless its seriously affecting you then there's no point in going on meds for it. i don't consider mine serious enough.

lol no, not literally deafened but it's like after you've heard really loud music and you get that loud ringing but silent noise. it feels like my head's about to explode sometimes.
prepschoolcool
Report 11 years ago
theres a boy in my year who used to get really agitated when people said certain words..people used to wind him up and say them to him,he actually has tourettes syndrome and also used to shout out random words sometimes. but this doesnt mean you have tourettes! i think you would probably know if you did, as i think his is quite serious and he is medicated and everything. he also has other symptoms that you would have noticed but maybe if you are worried talk to a doctor?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads