Help me set up my new touch :) Watch

Cortez
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got a hard plastic case for mine. I had a silicone one on my old iPod and hated it, it seemed to get loads of dust stuck to it.
Albannach
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never got a case for mine. It's too late now as it's all scratched on the back.

I'd definitley jailbreak your touch. Totally worth it. Don't upgrade to 1.1.3 though. You won't be able to jailbreak with that at the moment.
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
So I got a Touch for Crimbo. It's about time I transferred all my songs from my old nano onto my Touch.

Now, I've plugged in my Touch but itunes does not recognise it :confused:
hi. sorry if this has allready been said, but im kinda in a rush lol...

u may find a tool called something like 'iGadget' useful.

it allows you to transfer songs from your ipod onto you comp.

so if you did lose your library you can still put the songs allready on your ipod back on to ur comp.

Seani B
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you gonna get the new apps for it as well?
Pulkpull
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Has anyone heard of anyone bricking their Touch by jailbreaking it or if you mess it up is it always possible to restore?
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
is that to me wizard710?

if so, yeah i got them last night.

bit dissapointed there isnt a straight forward option of using hotmail for your mail. i attempted to use izzymail? but then decided to just create a google mail account and told it to transfer my hotmail to google and also send off google using my hotmail domain.

dsnt seem to work tho :confused:

anyone know an easier way????

Edit: also iv still not managed to use the tracking (triangulation of wifi's) on my maps yet.
i believe it uses skyhook
has it been launched in the UK yet does anyone know?
may have just been the area i was in...
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I used izzymail and I didn't use my iPod for a while. Next time I turned it on it said it couldn't connect to izzymail. I wish Hotmail would just let 3rd party apps download like any other mail provider.
Albannach
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Pulkpull)
Has anyone heard of anyone bricking their Touch by jailbreaking it or if you mess it up is it always possible to restore?
It's impossible. If it makes your iPod inaccessable, you use the restore button in iTunes and all is well. You have to readd your library after though.
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
I used izzymail and I didn't use my iPod for a while. Next time I turned it on it said it couldn't connect to izzymail. I wish Hotmail would just let 3rd party apps download like any other mail provider.
yeah me 2.

have u got the tracking feature on the maps working Cortez?
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Seani B)
yeah me 2.

have u got the tracking feature on the maps working Cortez?
I've not got maps installed since I had to restore my Touch and I'm not sure I want to pay £13 for Mail (which is a bit **** if it wont work with Hotmail), Notes, Weather etc ... all a bit pointless really.

What is the tracking feature anyway?
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've not got maps installed since I had to restore my Touch and I'm not sure I want to pay £13 for Mail (which is a bit **** if it wont work with Hotmail), Notes, Weather etc ... all a bit pointless really.

What is the tracking feature anyway?
its like a dumb version of gps lol.
but its accuracy is 20-30 metres i think. but in some places can b pretty accurate.

it works in the same way, when police track your mobile, it triangulates your position using phone masts. but obv instead of phone signals it triangulates you using wifi connections.

Edit: 1 advantage over GPS is that this works indoors also whereas GPS has to be in view of the sky. triangulation connection is also very quick
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Seani B)
its like a dumb version of gps lol.
but its accuracy is 20-30 metres i think. but in some places can b pretty accurate.

it works in the same way, when police track your mobile, it triangulates your position using phone masts. but obv instead of phone signals it triangulates you using wifi connections.
So you need to be in range of a wireless network for it to work?
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
So you need to be in range of a wireless network for it to work?
yeah as far as i know. dont hold me to that tho.

sorry i was a lil late on that last post, iv added more on the edit if you wanna take a look.

PS if you wanna look into it a lil more, google or wiki 'skyhook'
Albannach
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Is it not only in the US you can use it? As they have connections with all the local wirless access points?
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah i thought the same, but to be fair, wifi is only just taking off here.and taking off pretty big. as always we're a shadow of america, so we should be in their position pretty soon. just a matter of time.
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"At the Macworld Conference & Expo in January 2008, Apple CEO Steve Jobs announced that both the iPhone and iPod Touch will use Skyhook's WPS as the primary location engine for Google Maps and other applications."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah I'm talking about the Touch. I had the iPhone apps like weather, mail and stuff on it before it crashed and now today I opened iTunes and realised they're selling them for £12.99 to Touch users. Typical.
Selling what?

What things can my touch do besides play music? (Really I have no idea )
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
Selling what?

What things can my touch do besides play music? (Really I have no idea )
They're selling the iPhone apps to iPod Touch owners, basically. Before you could get them for free if you jailbreaked it.

I had games on it whilst mine was jailbreak .. touch screen solitaire was good. But not I've had to restore it I can't get them back

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodtouch/whatsnew.html
Seani B
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
u can also rearrange the icons on the home screen, and add web based apps / webpages onto your main screen.

it is a pretty good upgrade in my opinion
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not at £13 though. Should be free. Heck they should have been on the Touch from the start!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads