The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Londoncentricity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm going to go with NY as the best.

naivesincerity
Only the biggest movie industry in the world...
Record companies? Capitol? And probably countless other things too. Don't be silly.

Right. And that's important in the running and day to day functioning of the country how? Why does that need good rail, road and sea links? Does it matter if that's near the political or economic centres? If we look at the US as a whole, LA is not too important.

Just like Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are not too important in the UK. Helpful? Yes. Relatively important? Not really.
Thud
I'm going to go with NY as the best.

Right. And that's important in the running and day to day functioning of the country how? Why does that need good rail, road and sea links? Does it matter if that's near the political or economic centres?

Washington's pretty important in running the country, doesn't detract from NY being no.1 does it? My point is about the pull of different places, and most people would acknowledge that America has more contenders vying for no1 than England.
Thud
If we look at the US as a whole, LA is not too important.

Just like Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are not too important in the UK. Helpful? Yes. Relatively important? Not really.

Rubbish. Course they are important. But Manchester/Birmingham are not to London as LA is to NYC. Thats my point.
Reply 23
naivesincerity
Rubbish. Course they are important. But Manchester/Birmingham are not to London as LA is to NYC. Thats my point.

Do you not understand English? "not too important" means still important but not hugely so, not that they're not important.

I'm pretty sure you're just going at me because of your personal dislike of me...
he did post ages ago about hating america...
Thud
Do you not understand English? "not too important" means still important but not hugely so, not that they're not important.

I'm pretty sure you're just going at me because of your personal dislike of me...

Nonsense. I'm just refuting your idea that LA isn't a major player in the US.
don't be so over-sensitive.
Reply 26
naivesincerity
Nonsense. I'm just refuting your idea that LA isn't a major player in the US.
don't be so over-sensitive.

I'm not the one who went off in a big huff last time...:rolleyes:
Thud
I'm not the one who went off in a big huff last time...:rolleyes:

Well anyway, if you've reached the limits of your capability for sensible discourse......
Reply 28
I wasn't the one who started picking on people just because of a personal dislike of them for reasons unknown (well, maybe I have an idea why but ad hom isn't a good debating tactic :wink:)
You've concocted that idea in your eccentric mind Thud. It's quite fallacious.
Reply 30
;yes; sure it it. :wink:
Reply 31
London has a dominance over the rest of the UK primarily because of its population in my opinion.

UK cities -1st most populated, 2nd most populated cities
1 - London 7.172,052
2 - Birmingham - 965,928

US cities -
1 - New York - 8,250,567
2 - Los Angeles - 3,849,378

Also, around 14% of the UK population live in London. Less than around 3% of the US population live in New York.

London's population, transport links with the rest of the world (Thames, Heathrow), universities, the FTSE, the City and etc etc etc means that it can never be rivaled by any other city in the UK.
Reply 32
Thud
Is it just me that doesn't like the smelly, overcrowded, dirty, congested, busy London?

I hate big, crowded cities in general, so going to London isn't really on my to-do list. Hereford's a tiny city, and I'm used to it. It's not busy, you can walk down the street with a 10 metre clean zone on a busy Saturday (or is that just me?!). I even find the relatively small Canterbury, which friends from London called empty and boring, too hustle and bustle for me.

Yeah, so pissing London and it's pissing tube network that I have to traverse in order to get back home to see my pissing dog every once in a while.

Hate the place.
Reply 33
Jennybean
loondon ffw haaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhujyyyyyyyyyyyyy,m lollllllll

You're either drunk or RANDOM XD.

OR BOTH, OMG LOLOLO!L<"JH£N
Reply 34
Jennybean
loondon ffw haaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhujyyyyyyyyyyyyy,m lollllllll

That Alan Carr quote in your sig is quite funny. That man is hilarious lol.
Reply 35
Jennybean
uI JNOW KLOL xxxxx

Exactly lol. Now go and get some sleep.
Reply 36
facebook
London has a dominance over the rest of the UK primarily because of its population in my opinion.

UK cities -1st most populated, 2nd most populated cities
1 - London 7.172,052
2 - Birmingham - 965,928

US cities -
1 - New York - 8,250,567
2 - Los Angeles - 3,849,378

Also, around 14% of the UK population live in London. Less than around 3% of the US population live in New York.

London's population, transport links with the rest of the world (Thames, Heathrow), universities, the FTSE, the City and etc etc etc means that it can never be rivaled by any other city in the UK.

To be fair the difference is more like:

1 Greater London Urban Area 8,278,251 67
2 West Midlands Urban Area 2,284,093 22
3 Greater Manchester Urban Area 2,240,230

So not too much of a difference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conurbations_in_the_United_Kingdom
Reply 37
Flashmob
To be fair the difference is more like:

1 Greater London Urban Area 8,278,251 67
2 West Midlands Urban Area 2,284,093 22
3 Greater Manchester Urban Area 2,240,230

So not too much of a difference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conurbations_in_the_United_Kingdom

I think the figure is more like 11,850,000 for the Greater London Urban area, and 2,555,596 for the West Midlands Urban Area*, so my point stands.

*Figures from Emporis.
Reply 38
Shifting the balance of population would be nice.
Sorry about last night guys :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending