The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The Boosh
true.

Yeah thanks for that. Who the hell are you anyway?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
puppy
What the hell is St. Cross? Never even heard of it!

It's a tiny graduate-only college. Hardly anyone knows where it is.:biggrin:
Reply 22
Google Earth rulz :smile:
Reply 23
Eifel
Google Earth rulz :smile:

See? Even you couldn't locate it without having a satellite to help you.:p:
Reply 24
hobnob
It's a tiny graduate-only college. Hardly anyone knows where it is.:biggrin:

Ewww why would anyone want a graduate only college? I wana be where the teenage boys are at
Reply 25
St Cross is right opposite St John's. My student house in Oxford was right behind it. I'm not quite sure why anyone would put it as their first choice as it's such a tiny college - unless you two are religious? I wouldn't really fancy a grad college myself - they seem like a good idea at first, but when I actually went to events at them they were pretty dead and a little on the poor side too.
Reply 26
Grad_84

Can I just ask you, how long after the offer letter did you hear something from the College? Did you get into your first choice college and what kind of conditions did they set?

Was this question for me? If so, the answer is aaages... but only because my college lost my address.:rolleyes:
I did get my first choice, yes, which was really lucky as half the MSt cohort had applied there (St John's), and the only conditions were financial (i.e. I had to be successful at getting funding), because I'd already completed my undergraduate degree the year before so they already had my results.
Reply 27
To be honest I didn't know which college to apply to and that one sounded nice. And I am not religious.I hope that doesn't sound stupid, I just didn't know better. How important is the college? Is that where most of your social activities take place?

Does that mean that the college can set conditions for certain undergraduate degree results etc? Because the way I understood it was that those conditions would be from the University and college conditions would only be financial.
Reply 28
I've been told that no one college is better than another academic-wise.
Reply 29
Grad_84
To be honest I didn't know which college to apply to and that one sounded nice. And I am not religious.I hope that doesn't sound stupid, I just didn't know better. How important is the college? Is that where most of your social activities take place?

Basically, yes. The St John's graduate community was very thriving and strong, with lots of events scheduled throughout the year, plus our own weekly high table with free wine and cocktails, and our own lovely building. I'd imagine St Cross's scene would be at least a lot smaller, but that doesn't mean it won't be just as good. :smile:

Grad_84
Does that mean that the college can set conditions for certain undergraduate degree results etc? Because the way I understood it was that those conditions would be from the University and college conditions would only be financial.

No, I think I misinterpreted your previous question. The college only sets financial conditions as academic ones come from the University. That said, some are slightly more competitive than others, but it doesn't really make too much difference.
Reply 30
Eifel
I've been told that no one college is better than another academic-wise.

Well, there's the Norrington Table for undergraduates, which has its flaws but which usually sees Merton, ChCh, New, Magdalen, Balliol and John's at the top in various different orders from year to year. The way they calculate it is problematic though, because if one student from a large college gets a 2:2 it's not going to affect the average that much, but if a student from a small college like Mansfield or LMH gets a 2:2, it skews that college's whole average and they fall in the table.

For graduates, it really depends what subject you do. I was always encouraged to apply to John's because it's generally considered the best for English grad students. I don't know why that is, but it seems to pride itself on being a difficult college to get into for English. It may be different for other subjects.
Reply 31
Anyway, has any of the current offer holders been interviewed for their place?
Reply 32
Anyway.
Reply 33
Thanks the_alba, that makes it clearer. I'm so excited about it all!

And no, I didn't have to go to an interview. Do they even do those at graduate level?
Reply 34
Grad_84
Thanks the_alba, that makes it clearer. I'm so excited about it all!

And no, I didn't have to go to an interview. Do they even do those at graduate level?

Some subjects do. Not all of them, though.
Reply 35
Any news Eifel?
Reply 36
Nope.

I think they might've rejected me.

Will let you know of the outcome either way as soon as I know it.
Reply 37
Ok, fingers crossed...
Reply 38
Eifel
Nope.

I think they might've rejected me.

Will let you know of the outcome either way as soon as I know it.

Why do you think that? Doesn't it take months for a reply? I wasn't expecting to hear for ages.

I applied to ChCh because it's ChCh and it's my Cambridge college's sister college, seemed kind of appropriate.

God I'm going to cry so much when I get rejected. That'll be one of the worst things to ever happen to me.
Reply 39
If you applied for the second gathered field puppy, you should be hearing back from them any day now.

Latest

Trending

Trending