The influence of a book's 'look' on enjoyment Watch

*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Crosseyed And Painless)
Ahh see mine were the common later blue /red/orange ones, Northern Lights was 10p in a library, and I got the Amber spyglass in hardback for free when my school's library were throwing it out
Aye - that's the version of Northern Lights I need, to match my others, heh.

(Original post by Coombe)
Nice to come back to such a lot of varied replies I'll be sure to post my opinions up as soon as i get a moment. Howvere, just got the time to spark you off on a few other discussions Here are the questions:

- If you buy a new book, are you a: 'keep it absolutely pristine' kind of person,
or a:
'oh, let it get tatty and just enjoy the book' type?

and

- What are your feelings on Hardback verses paperback. Which do you prefer and why?
I'll keep it pristine if it looks like it's worth keeping pristine - e.g. if it's a really nice hardback. If it's a cheap Wordsworth Classic or whatever, I won't make a conscious effort to make it look more 'used' or anything, but I won't really mind if it does end up looking like that. I'm definitely not one of these people who insists that you can't crease the spine when you're reading a paperback!

I prefer to read paperbacks, because I am a bit of a weakling and I can't hold a hardback in the air for as long as I would like to, so if I read a hardback it ends up in my lap... which isn't really very good for posture, heh. I could do with one of those little book stands, actually...

I do love how hardbacks look, though - especially giant hardback reference books.
ukebert
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *ellen marine*)
I prefer to read paperbacks, because I am a bit of a weakling and I can't hold a hardback in the air for as long as I would like to, so if I read a hardback it ends up in my lap... which isn't really very good for posture, heh. I could do with one of those little book stands, actually...
Same here. In fact I need one of those beds that bend in weird ways. Oh the comfort. Whenever I read in bed I have endless problems with lighting and posture etc.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ukebert)
Same here. In fact I need one of those beds that bend in weird ways. Oh the comfort. Whenever I read in bed I have endless problems with lighting and posture etc.
Haha.. I usually spend about half an hour trying to work out whether it's more comfortable to lie on my front, propped up by my elbows, or on my back, propped up by pillows - and then realise that neither is remotely comfortable, so I end up sitting cross-legged in the middle of the bed with the duvet wrapped around me instead.

I love the bendy beds, though - I work in a hospital where there are quite a few of them... it's always very tempting to fold people up in them, though.
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *ellen marine*)
Haha.. I usually spend about half an hour trying to work out whether it's more comfortable to lie on my front, propped up by my elbows, or on my back, propped up by pillows - and then realise that neither is remotely comfortable, so I end up sitting cross-legged in the middle of the bed with the duvet wrapped around me instead.
That's the one, yes :p:
Crosseyed And Painless
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh mine get tatty so quickly. I'm trying to keep my Schott's Almanacs nice because they look good, but I'm not sure if they'll stay that way.

I prefer paperbacks novels but I'd hate, say, a paper back dictionary, I love lugging it it up onto my lap. I think if I won the lottery I'd probably but the Encyclopedia Britannica and the OED.

May I add a question? Do you fold the corner of the page over rather than bookmark? (I always do.)
sammyrj
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Crosseyed And Painless)
May I add a question? Do you fold the corner of the page over rather than bookmark? (I always do.)
Are you mad?! :p: I couldn't bring myself to dog-ear a page. It would... just... hurt. I don't really use a bookmark either, I generally have a compulsion to finish my current chapter before putting the book down.

And if you couldn't already tell, I'm one of the 'pristine' lot. I love a brand-new looking book. And always a paperback, with Harry Potter being the exception (just for the reason that waiting for the paperback would mean an unavoidable spoiling of everything that's happens).

I don't know why I don't like an old book. I guess I associate it with untidyness and dirtyness, and well... school :p:

And for the record, I find Penguin covers to be invariably craptastic. Vintage do the best ones.
space hopper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I love old books that other people have written in, so long as they haven't written too much. I think part of the reason is that I hate spoiling new books, which as a lit student one just has to do. But then again i love some of the books that I have written all over with loads of colours and all my thoughts as I read the book, it's just getting over the initial writing in/ idea of spoiling the book. If I have a series of books then they simply have to match! I do love a good second hand bookshop :love:
Coombe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I prefer paperbacks novels but I'd hate, say, a paper back dictionary, I love lugging it it up onto my lap.
I like paperbacks to read because they're so much lighter and freer in movement, although, having said that, being a bit of a daydreamer...if it's a 'special' looking in someway hardback, i can loose myself 'feeling' about the book i'm reading...that really doesn't make sense i know!

As for the dictionary...paperbacks are the practical ones...you can band the cover to flick quick with a hardback and i get exhausted with the lugging about a hardback everytime you want a word that i avoid usage!

ARGH! May you be forgiven for this crime against literacy! I used to when i was younger, but no way could i bring myself to now!! A bookmark reader here. BUT, that has bought up another thing:

I have to read with an 'apt' bookmark, else i find it really distracting, takes away enjoyment. I normally opt for an embroidered one - cross stich. In fact, all the ones i ever use are handmade! Do others here find the bookmark they use matters to them? Or would any oold thing do?

As for books...i'm a BOTH person, just to be awkward lol

If bought new, i just have to keep them pristine (I'm not one to squint through a small gap because it might bend to spine person though...that just wrecks the reading experience.

On the other hand...if it's old/second hand i like those also because of the history behind them. They can be less stressful because i'm not trying to 'preserve' them in absolute neatness lol but then if they are special-old i try to preserve them also so you can't win with me either way! :P

And i like paperback (hardbacks are to inflexable) unless for some reason it makes the book seem special e.g. an ancient important book or something lol.

As for writing in them...i've never in my life done that except with my sec school anthology when we were told to and studied it. I quite like the idea of everyone writing their little thoughts as they journey through the book, them handing it on to someone else who adds theirs and so it builds up...

interesting idea.

As for second hand book shops - love them!

* self-confessed bibliophile *

Edit addition: How could i forget?! Pages are important...i'm sold everytime on nice glossy, well-printed pages. Illustrations are another selling factor...i'll look at a book in a shop just because of the illustrations.

Covers are v. important. A bad cover, or one that doesn't 'speak' to me, ruins the enjoyment of a book in my opinion.
brimstone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I hate the fact that I'm automatically attracted to nice, new shiny paperbacks. Obviously, I'll read the blurb and check if I like the sound of it, but the newer ones do catch my eye.
Holsy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My poor copy of Emma is so tatty I feel bad about reading it and every time I pick it up I always think to myself, "I must buy another version."

My love has damaged it.
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Never really thought about bookmarks. Here's what I use:

Old railway tickets.

(And, yes, that is my 'current' pile...)
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommorris)
Never really thought about bookmarks. Here's what I use:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2041/...3b948e73fa.jpg
Old railway tickets.

(And, yes, that is my 'current' pile...)
:rofl: That's fantastic.

What is the big hardback at the bottom?
tommorris
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rottcodd)
:rofl: That's fantastic.

What is the big hardback at the bottom?
That's "Hans-Georg Gadamer: A Biography" by Jean Grondin. I bought it from a great remainders bookshop in Brighton.
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The best look for a book, imo, depends on the type of book. For non-fiction, I generally like a nice-coloured (not necessarily 'glossy') hardback, and for fiction I like a very slightly creased paperback (although no dog eared corners). And I like the spine to be almost flawless. Not too demanding, am I?

Ultimately, though, it doesn't really matter for me.

Oh, and I like thick, weighty books, but that's more because I like to read longer books than from any concern about the shape, etc.
crosscurrents
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It doesn't really bother me much at all.

But if there were two versions of the same book side by side, I'd go with the one with the more simple cover. Why? I don't like to be shown how a character or scene should look. It then influences how I read the book, and I like to imagine things my way.
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't leave a book bent open, don't fold over a page, don't even use bookmarks, my grandpa was a Librarian, I know what they can do to a spine

I memorise the page number.
Kasey*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not sure about enjoyment, but whenever i see a book with a particularly interesting cover (and/ or it's got one of those covers that feels nice to touch) i would be more inclined to buy it, even when it's something i wouldn't normally read. I do fold the pages though, i fold it up to the line i was on, so it could be a half page fold and i use a bookmark too so i don't have to search for the fold.
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
*recoils in horror*
Kasey*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just bought some brand new novels actually and i admit, i feel a little guilty about making the first fold, but once it's done, i don't think twice about it throughout the rest of book.
ukebert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You disgust me :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads